Frog Hunting on Misty Mountaintops in the Andes! (big post)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Antonsrkn

Frog Hunting on Misty Mountaintops in the Andes! (big post)

Post by Antonsrkn »

Hey all, its been a while since I posted any of my finds on here. I'll warn some of you now, there is not a whole lot of reptile content in here lots of frogs though...some lizards, no snakes. But on the bright side in addition to herps there will be mammals, inverts, and birds!

You can see most of these photos in my flickr Ecuador set http://www.flickr.com/photos/26500525@N ... 497608087/

I'll start off narrating but depending on how long this takes I may give up, I'll try to keep in roughly chronological order as well.
Well I was lucky enough to be able to spend a month in Ecuador this January. I got down to Quito on December 30th, I had heard and been warned it was sort of a dangerous city so on my first day I set out from the hostel with no camera and not a whole lot of cash and just started walking in a random direction with no idea where I was going. I could have looked at a map or figured out what to see but I think just walking (and potentially getting lost in) the city is the best way to get to know it, I have done the same thing in San Jose and Panama city. Well I walked around for hours and was actually really pleasantly surprised by parts of Quito some of them were quite pretty, after a few hours of walking I ended up in the historic district which was really nice, randomly saw the Ecuadorian president, bought coca leaves, ate bright pink ceviche from a bucket along with other delicious food in some local guys house. He had been vending the food out of his doorway and I saw alot of locals buying stuff from him so I figured I would try it, I think I must have been the first foreigner to do so because he got really excited and invited/dragged me into his house where he served me up some delicious food while his kids sat in a semicircle around me staring at me haha, he then made sure I tried a bit of everything else and got seconds haha. Most people I met down in Ecuador were very friendly.

I also spent new years in Quito which was amazing; fireworks, good company, alcohol and effigy burning all made for the best new years I have had! The next night I took a overnight bus down to the coast, I had not planned on this but I was talked into it by some new friends. I'm glad I did the coast was excellent, very warm, beautiful beaches and with an arid ecosystem that I didn't really see anywhere else in Ecuador. I saw some lizards but didn't really do any herping while I was down there but had an excellent time regardless. It was time to say my goodbyes and take the bus back to northern Ecuador because I was starting work the following day, luckily I decided to leave with a bit of time to spare. This ended up being crucial, even though I speak spanish I must have misunderstood what someone told me and ended up taking a bus way out of my way. All in all it ended up being a 12-13 hour mad dash across the country in order to make it the meeting place on time, which I miraculously managed!

I was working in northern Ecuador not too far from the border with Colombia and I was based at a high altitude about 3000 m (9850ft) above sea level in the Andes Mountains, the nights were cold and apparently the temp can drop below freezing though luckily it never did while I was there. I knew it might be a challenge to find herps up there but I felt like I was up to it. The work I did involved working with a captive breeding project involving Andean Condors and also camera trapping for Andean Spectacled Bears. I haven't put up any photos yet so here is one of the valley that I spent most of my working time in...

The boxy shape in the 2nd photo is pre-incan pyramid, there are a bunch of them in the area.

There are less than 50 wild Condors left in Ecuador and we would see wild condors soaring around every single day, I'm not completely sure how many there were in the area but I want to say 10-15 individuals. Sometimes wild condors even came down to the captive condor enclosure to visit them! Fairly positive it was the same female everytime.

Anyways, I could often hear frogs calling at night from flooded areas, ditches, marshes and so on. My first initial night hikes yielded a few frogs...

Considerably smaller one...

And another...

I still haven't figured out the IDs yet, I'm certain they are Rain Peepers (Pristimantis sp.) and I'm pretty sure atleast some of them are Quito Rain peepers (Pristimantis unistrigatus) but this species is extremely variable and i'm not sure which ones are and which ones aren't P. unistrigatus.

Frogs weren't the only things out at night.

I also did some hiking during my free time during the day, I saw a variety of cool birds and some other wildlife. Including this mouse which was acting really strange. It even occurred to me it might be envenomated so I sat down and watched it for 20 min or so. At first the mouse seemed uncoordinated and erratic but after a while it seemed to shake the effects off and scurried away.

Also since I had to spend almost all day out in the valley I flipped alot of cover to pass the time and hopefully find a snake species. Various invertebrates were common underneath the rocks. For example scorpions like this one...

Frogs were also a common find no matter where I was doing the flipping. In a field or along a forested stream I would uncover these Pristimantis sp.

I had been doing alot of searching but I was starting to become discouraged, I had not found a single reptile yet. I knew that despite the high altitude there must be atleast a couple species but they were definitely making me work for it. So one day when I flipped a rock that I had flipped multiple times before I couldn't believe my eyes! There was some sort of lizard underneath!

As it turns out it was a Drab Lightbulb Lizard (Riama unicolor), found in northern Ecuador at altitudes of 2390–3300 m. I read that it was listed as near threatened as well. This lizard spends pretty much its entire life living subterraneously.

In my month of searching, I started seeing them with some regularity... I think I saw 6 or so all together. The first individual was by far the prettiest.

That night, motivated by my success with the Riama lizard I decided to check out some nearby areas. This ended up being a great idea.

One look was enough to tell me it was a new species for me! And I strongly suspected it was a juvenile Andean Marsupial Frog (Gastrotheca riobambae). After spending some time doing research I was thrilled to be able to confirm my suspicions! It was a juvenile Andean marsupial frog, this frog is listed by the IUCN as endangered and is endemic to interandean valleys in northern Ecuador and southern Colombia! Needless to say I was extremely excited and couldn't wait to get out there again and find some adults. But first I had a few days off and I wanted to make it down the lowlands for a bit, I chose to go to Mindo. Mindo is a veritable birders mecca and just an amazing place in general.

The next day I finished with work and took the bus down to Quito in order to catch an early bus to Mindo, I got caught up in the middle of a shootout in Quito between some guy in an SUV and the police. It ended really quickly with the guy in his SUV speeding off into the distance still firing out his window followed by quite a few cop cars. Besides that and a fun night in Quito afterwards there was nothing worth mentioning until I got to Mindo the next day. I wouldn't call myself a birder but despite this I enjoyed seeing the birds in the area including these...
Purple-bibbed Whitetip

Violet-tailed Sylph

Andean Emerald

As you can see my bird photography isn't very good so after a while I got frustrated and moved on to the real goal...herping of course! But that doesn't mean I didn't stop to photograph various other things I saw in the jungle.

This next weevil was really cool, amazing camouflage! At first I thought it was dead and just being reclaimed by the forest but he ended up being very much alive!

I flipped this tarantula underneath some tin, I was hoping for a snake but the tarantula was cool too.

It was an especially cool find for me because I convinced myself to pick it up, the first time I have held a tarantula!

I walked around other parts of the clearing flipping various cover and didn't take me long to notice that there were a tiny little froglets present in the grass. It took me a while to finally secure one for photos as I would find one and before I knew it, it would disappear in the vegetation. No idea on the species, can anyone help?

I finished up there and headed back, I was told I shouldn't have a problem finding a bus or a cab. Well it was raining and turns out I had just missed the bus and there were no cabs, so I hitchhiked my way back into town. The next day I wanted to do some more hiking in the jungle so I went out to some waterfalls nearby. A really really beautiful area.

Flipped this dobsonfly larvae near the above river...

Finally I did manage to turn up a reptile. Its just an anole (or atleast thats what I would have said before the fantastic anole post on here recently) but its a lifer!
Equatorial Anole (Anolis aequatorialis)

I was running short on time and and had gotten turned around in the forest for a while, I was worried about missing my bus but luckily hitchhiking worked once again and I got back to town with plenty of time to spare. Infact some new friends from the day before even treated me to lunch.

I got back to my home base nice and relaxed ready to work again and eager to find some adult Marsupial frogs in the near future. The problem was that we had been going through a dry stretch and I needed to wait for some rain. I went out for some night hikes anyways, however it was brought to my attention that night hiking was highly discouraged in certain areas due to the presence of mountain lions. To be honest I wasn't overly concerned but it was so dry and not much was moving anyways so I kept the night hikes short, I did find some stuff around though.
Pristimantis sp.

Waiting for rain dragged on but I made myself busy with other things like work and getting shots of other types of wildlife and day hiking...

But I was still waiting for the rain....

I had friends to keep myself occupied in the meantime...
Or atleast when he wasn't busy with his horseleg (maybe from a mountain lion kill?)

These 2 dogs were awesome, sort of like personal body guards... This llama looked at me the wrong way so... (haha they probably just like chasing things)

They even scared some bears away earlier, I actually wasn't too thrilled about that but dogs will be dogs...

Speaking of bears, heres the best photo I managed. I saw 6 bears in my month there, not too shabby, but they were all far away.

But finally the rain came! It poured all day and quieted down that night and I knew it was time! I was offered a ride out to a local waterfall and I accepted. The roads were bumpy, washed out or muddy soup in areas but we had a jeep so I wasn't too worried. Until the jeep slid and hydroplaned all the way down a hill... It was pretty obvious it wasn't going to be easy getting back up there so we decided not to go any further. After several failed attempts at scaling the hill it was time to get out and push. Luckily this worked, unluckly I got splattered with mud pretty good in the process. So I'm standing there wet and muddy watching the jeepdrive away and I'm wondering if it was worth it as it was a pretty good hike to get back home. I started walking and not 10 minutes had passed when I saw this!

A calling male Gastrotheca riobambae!!

This made all the hardships worth it 1000 times over and any doubts and misgivings I had vanished instantly. The mists were rolling over the hilltops and the frogs had started calling in earnest with a few different species adding to the chorus. It was really an amazing experience... Frog hunting on misty mountaintops in the Andes! One of the most incredible experiences I had had. I kept looking for frogs, climbing over fences, ducking under barbed wire and it wasn't too long until I tracked the next one down! Bear with me through all the pics...

And finally this is probably my favorite image from my time in Ecuador, after all seeing a marsupial frog was as exciting for me as seeing a Andean spectacled Bear or Andean Condor. It just doesn't get much more exciting than an endangered endemic amphibian!

A really incredible experience and now having seen them in the wild and have read alot about Andean Marsupial frogs I have to say its one of my favorite herp species! I feel really priveledged to have been able to find them in the wild.
I also got this photo that I like of some sort of cranefly...

I was really happy for the next few days and nothing could bother me, it didn't hurt that we took a trip up to the Paramo (grassland above the treeline) in the local mountains. It was ridiculously cold and windy up there and my fingers actually went numb, despite that it was still an amazing place to visit.

The warnings about night hikes seemed a bit more serious to me after we were told that last year 54 llamas and 5 dogs were killed by lions in the area...

Besides the beautiful views, we had a close encounter with a female juvenile condor. We saw her flying towards us from far away and it was obvious she was curious about us as well, she came right up to us and hovered right there taking a nice long look at us. The she gained a little altitude and circled us for some time before moving on.

We had planned to hike down a trail back into our valley, we knew no one had been on the trail for a year or two but we decided to rough it, this proved to be rough going. Hours and Hours later with blisters on our hands from the machetes, completely exhausted and rubbing bumps and bruises from the half a dozen falls we had all taken we finally arrived at the bottom of the mountains. Laying down has never felt so good as it did when we finally got back to the house.

We had a visitor at the house as well...

During the next few nights I went out again, with mixed results... I did manage to turn up a few more marsupial frogs!

Nothing else of note besides this teeny tiny little pristimantis sp. All Prisitimantis have direct development, they lay their eggs and little versions of the adults hatch out thus bypassing the tadpole stage. I assume this is a newly hatched pristimantis of sorts..

Finally it was my last day, I did one last quick hike in the area. I flipped this Pristimantis sp. ontop of one of the pre-Incan pyramids. The only reason I include it is because its the last thing I took a photo of in Ecuador...

Oh yeah I was going to include this stuff but forgot so I'm just going to throw it in here at the end...
Heres me in the Mountains overlooking Quito!

I mentioned that part of the work I did involved camera trapping for bears, some of what I had to do was drag up a bucket of trout guts as bait to bring the bears in. One day the camera recorded a bear there right before I made it up. he must have heard me huffing and puffing as I climbed the side of the mountain trying not to spill trout guts all over myself but it was still cool to see how I had just missed him. These next photos are not mine like the others these are from the camera trap...

Then it was off to Quito for the night where I met some cool people, had a bit of a fiesta for my last night in South America. A bit of deja vu but I was actually invited to go down to the coast again if I didn't have obligations back home I would have gone, but sadly I had to reject the offer. Now I'm back in Wisconsin and have been for almost a month... I'm sitting here writing this and its snowing outside...I wish I was back in South America. Whats next for me? I had been planning on returning to South America but now Asia, specifically Malaysia is on the horizon! I have a friend doing a project in Borneo and if I can i'm going to go down and help her out, i just need to make it through this winter so everyone keep posting stuff on here because that helps!

Alright all, thats it for this. I hope you all enjoyed looking through it all!
bgorum

Re: Frog Hunting on Misty Mountaintops in the Andes! (big po

Post by bgorum »

Thanks for posting this. That first condor shot is awesome!
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I never expected to open a post and see an Andean Condor and Spectacled Bear. Thanks for bringing us along. The Andes are not a place that comes to mind as far as herping destinations go.
btskanks

Post by btskanks »

Great stuff, are u sure u weren't in west africa-- that sure looks like an emperor scorpion!?-lol
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Wish there were more snakes other than atractus and bothriopsis. Great frogs though
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Wow, just an awesome post! Your macro shots are superb, as is all of your other photography. :beer: May I ask what camera gear you use - body, lenses, flash? Thanks in advance.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Mike VanValen wrote:I never expected to open a post and see an Andean Condor and Spectacled Bear. Thanks for bringing us along. The Andes are not a place that comes to mind as far as herping destinations go.
NEVER EVER! That was mind blowing. Great photos Anton. I have to go pick my brain up off the floor now.
--Berkeley
Matt Buckingham

Post by Matt Buckingham »

My favorite post of the year so far. Your images and narratives really give me a feel for those unique habitats.
dery

Post by dery »

Great post Anton. :thumb:
withalligators

Post by withalligators »

Really neat. I've looked for montane stuff in Ecuador. It's hard to find critters. Great finds. How awesome is the first time you pick up a tarantula? I (being somewhat scared of spiders) thought it was the most amazing feeling.
Cheers,
Alex
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

This a beautiful post. Glad to see you post again...been long while. It is amazing to me how they have carved out those mountains over time. Crazy. The Ecuadorian condors and insect shots are just perfect. Very nice lighting.

Rock ON!

Dave
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Forgot to comment on those tarantulas....WOW! Splendid they are.

Dave
dery

Post by dery »

walk-about wrote:Forgot to comment on those tarantulas....WOW! Splendid they are.

Dave
My favorate pics are definately those tarantulas and the scorpion.
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

There's so much amazingness here, but it is easy for me to pick out one thing I have to mention first.
Did you say f'n LIONS killed 54 llama and 5 dogs? Lions? I know there are other felines in South America but I know of no lions. Are they escapes, is it a typo? Is it short for mountain lions?
AWESOME condor pics. The Andean Bear was an excellent surprise too. The camouflaged weevil is a "Nat Geo kind of photo". Your macro photography is great in general.
mjd123

Post by mjd123 »

Thank you for this post. Did you see the wild spec bear in the Mindo area? To answer the question regarding lions, mountain lions have the largest range of any land carnivore in the Americas from Canada to the tip of South America. I was lucky to see 2 different Mountain Lions in Brazil last year.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

O h m y G o d. The atmosphere and composition of the opening picture made me yell something unprintable, and then it just got better. Thank you very much!
CCarille

Post by CCarille »

Ridiculous post! Incredible - thanks for sharing all of it!
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Thanks everyone for taking a look and for your kind words!
I never expected to open a post and see an Andean Condor and Spectacled Bear. Thanks for bringing us along. The Andes are not a place that comes to mind as far as herping destinations go.
Yeah the Andes aren't all that diverse as far as herps go, and they really made me work for what I did find, but what species are found there are all pretty awesome. I do regret that I didn't manage to get down to the amazonian part of Ecuador at all, but i'll be back.
that sure looks like an emperor scorpion!?
I actually thought they looked similar as well but they were a small species, never really getting much bigger than the one I posted.
Wish there were more snakes other than atractus and bothriopsis. Great frogs though
I would have loved to find either of those snakes, I talked to the locals who all told me there were no snakes in the area. I was determined to prove them wrong and was trying to turn up something like an atractus because I thought that could easily have escaped notice if someone wasn't specifically looking for it. But no luck.
May I ask what camera gear you use - body, lenses, flash? Thanks in advance.
I use a Nikon D80, any bird or mammal shots were taken with a AF VR Zoom-Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED, my macros were taken with a nikkor 105 mm also using a couple of diopters for some of the shots, Landscapes were taken with 18-70mm Nikkor Lens. The flash I use is a Nikon SB-800 AF Speedlight.
How awesome is the first time you pick up a tarantula? I (being somewhat scared of spiders) thought it was the most amazing feeling.
Yeah spiders make me a bit nervous so it was an awesome feeling to be able to get past that and hold it. Initially I was really nervous as the spider was defensive and rearing up and showing its fangs but once it calmed down and I picked it up the spider was completely calm and I was at ease handling it as well! It was the 1st one I have held but it wont be the last.
Glad to see you post again...been long while. It is amazing to me how they have carved out those mountains over time. Crazy.
Yeah its been a while since the last one, hopefully once it warms up here I will have some cool local stuff to post. Yeah the mountains were truly incredible I haven't seen that kind of landscape anywhere else, it was cool to see how even a little stream carved through the hills.
Did you say f'n LIONS killed 54 llama and 5 dogs? Lions? I know there are other felines in South America but I know of no lions. Are they escapes, is it a typo? Is it short for mountain lions?
Haha yeah its mountain lions. Its not hard to imagine lions of any sort up on the paramo, with the tall grass up there it reminded me of the african savannah up there.
Thank you for this post. Did you see the wild spec bear in the Mindo area?
Nope all the bears I saw were in the valley I worked in, pretty close to both Otavalo and Ibarra. I had talked to people that had seen them somewhere (no idea where exactly) closer to the Mindo region in the jungle but I didn't see any while I was in Mindo. It would really be tough to see them there, the reason I was able to see so many was because they were upon sparsely vegetated hillsides and I could see them from far away. I actually forgot to mention it, but the wild one that I got a photo of was a female with a cub. The cub isn't visible in the photo due to the tall grass.
O h m y G o d. The atmosphere and composition of the opening picture made me yell something unprintable, and then it just got better. Thank you very much!
Hahaha glad I was finally able to return the favor, your posts have been making me yell unprintable things for a long time now. :lol:

Finally, thanks again to everyone who took a look and commented I really appreciate it and am glad you all enjoyed! Sorry if I missed answering any questions, i think i got them all.
StephenZozaya

Post by StephenZozaya »

Incredible post! Really makes me want to pick up and head to the Andes.

Stephen
dery

Post by dery »

that sure looks like an emperor scorpion!?
:lol: African emps are way bigger. Though, most NA scorpions suchas AZ's Superstitions scorp are definately smaller. Both are from different continents than SA.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Anton,

You've done something special here. Wild condors and bears! My mind is blown. this was an outstanding post. Your macro work is great as usual, you've been a good photographer even as a kid. The lizard you posted is really interesting to me. He looks like a cross between Abronia and Xantusia, really amazing species. Thanks for sharing your adventures.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Incredible post! Really makes me want to pick up and head to the Andes.
Its awesome down there, you wouldn't regret it!
You've done something special here. Wild condors and bears! My mind is blown. this was an outstanding post. Your macro work is great as usual, you've been a good photographer even as a kid. The lizard you posted is really interesting to me. He looks like a cross between Abronia and Xantusia, really amazing species. Thanks for sharing your adventures.
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed. I'm still working on my photography, I have come a ways since the herpfamily days but still have a lot left to learn. Yeah those little lizards are fascinating to me too, they're microteiids and despite being small they have the personality of crocodiles. I have never dealt with a lizard that wanted to bite me so badly, they would twist and turn and do something like a crocs "death roll". Haha but they're so small it was just kind of comical, there were times when I would put them down and they would latch on to a stick and hang on thinking it was me.
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Awesome trip report.
But finally the rain came! It poured all day and quieted down that night and I knew it was time! I was offered a ride out to a local waterfall and I accepted. The roads were bumpy, washed out or muddy soup in areas but we had a jeep so I wasn't too worried. Until the jeep slid and hydroplaned all the way down a hill... It was pretty obvious it wasn't going to be easy getting back up there so we decided not to go any further. After several failed attempts at scaling the hill it was time to get out and push. Luckily this worked, unluckly I got splattered with mud pretty good in the process. So I'm standing there wet and muddy watching the jeepdrive away and I'm wondering if it was worth it as it was a pretty good hike to get back home. I started walking and not 10 minutes had passed when I saw this!
It's experiences like this that make trips worth it. Inevitably after something like this you find exactly what you're looking for. And if you never went out...you wouldn't have found anything. I often have to remind myself that when conditions or circumstances aren't optimum. "I didn't come here to NOT go out and find stuff".

I went to Ecuador and visited the Mindo area about 3 years ago with my wife. One of the best trips ever. The beginning is mostly birds of that area, I didn't find much herps at all until getting to the Galapagos.
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 617#p36617
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Yeah I agree, its the tough finds that you have to work for that are the most memorable and mean the most! Yeah, you have to go out to find stuff, I kept reminding myself of that when I was tired and just sitting around after work, more often than not it worked and I got out there!

Awesome, you saw a lot of great birds there's more than a couple there I wish I had seen. It's cool you got to see that Mountain Toucan, I worked with toucans down in Costa Rica and I was hoping to see some of the ones down in Ecuador to make my former boss jealous haha.

Wow your galapagos photos are great, I wish I could have made it down there but it was a bit too much for my wallet and I didn't have enough time, I missed 2 weeks of the semester here as is. But it really looks like its the trip of a lifetime, next time im in Ecuador visiting the amazon and the galapagos are non negotiable.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Amazing post. Must have been an amazing trip.
The problem was that we had been going through a dry stretch and I needed to wait for some rain.
Could be worse. We spent 4 days in Mindo and it rained all day, every day. Sounds great, but it was cold, wet and miserable. We were so tired of being soaked and exhausted that we didn't go out frogging at night in spite of the loud choruses. Still kicking myself.
Nir

Post by Nir »

Amazing post!! Those condors are very impressive!

But the account of all those G. riobambeae takes the cake!! Awesome photography and observations!!

Thanks for taking the time to had all the narrative, makes the post feel like I was there!
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Thanks guys!
Chris, I didn't get a chance to go out at night in Mindo either. I was tired from the day full of hiking and chose to socialize rather than herp, like you I'm still kicking myself about that.
Thanks for taking the time to had all the narrative, makes the post feel like I was there!
Hey thanks for reading! I wasn't sure if anyone would read it or not, so I wasn't sure whether I should write anything. Seems like a fair amount of people did end up reading!
Tonia Graves

Post by Tonia Graves »

Great diversity and photography! Thanks for sharing!