Washed in the Blood 2012...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

walk-about

Washed in the Blood 2012...

Post by walk-about »

08 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
There is an iconic destination which draws me so. She is one of my sweetest passions in life. She is the beautiful Blood River in far southwestern Kentucky. She is fed by the Panther, Beechy, Wildcat creeks and so on; and in turn she feeds and washes into the beautiful Tennessee River, which in turns washes with the Ohio, Mississippi and eventually into the Gulf of Mexico. As they say, 'a river runs through it'. Many of the pictures from this post were taken from within the domain of these waters.
A severe drought would impact this region in 2012. It was as bad as any I've seen since 1988. And it as well impacted more than 60% of the nation at one time. Very bad. So finding herps of any diversity was a challenge as the drought could be felt as early as March. And then all down hill from there. Nonetheless, a good year for lizards. I think I photographed 7 of our state's 8 native species. And good for turtles too, I would see 12 species of turtles and photograph all of them I think. Not so good for snakes. Lots of timber rattlers seen this year as the dry conditions brought them out earlier than usual. But I don't think I photographed a single one. Very good year for cottonmouths. And I had more than a few close calls in the field with them. But it was a struggle finding much variety aside from wetland situations. I was happy to find what was found with the extreme conditions and limited time frame. This post reflects mostly reptiles. I may post the amphibian section later in the week. Good year for frogs, but not so good for salamanders. Thanks for reading ya'll.
10 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

12 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

14 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

16 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Lepisosteus skull found along the shoreline of the Blood. There are four specie of gar in these waters - shortnose, longnose, spotted and alligator.

20 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

22 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Arisaema dracontium - Green Dragon, one of Kentucky's most interesting mezic plants.

24 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Beautiful giant red fruit of the the Green Dragon in late September.

26 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Jessica holding a spotted dusky salamander - Calloway Co. KY. One of five we would find on this day.

27 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Epic year for aquatic box turtles as a result of the drought. This male would be seen with two other adults making their stand in the cool of the flowing creek water.

28 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

30 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Female red-ear slider - Marshall Co. KY. Eating earthworms at water's edge in November.

32 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
River Cooter - Marshall Co. KY

36 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Northern Map - Trigg Co. KY from the Little River area.

40 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Ouachita Map - Calloway Co. KY

42 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Ouachita Map's - plastron shots showing the diversity of these handsome turtles.

43 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
'kohnii' and 'ouachitensis' - Mississippi & Ouachita maps basking - Calloway Co. KY

44 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
'geographica' and 'ouachitensis' - Northern & Ouachita maps basking - Calloway Co. KY

46 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Kinosternon mud and Sternotherus musk carapace and plastron comparisons - Calloway Co. KY

50 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

52 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Spiny Softshell - Marshall Co. KY

53 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
'covering'

54 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Female Mississippi map and several Ouachita's basking in December.

56 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Red-ear sliders, river cooters, Mississippi maps, Ouachita maps and a lone Northern map would be found on this log...a total of 68 turtles in all. The left side of the log (not pictured) held the majority of the smaller and most numerous maps.

58 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Plastron and carapace comparison between adult male cooters - Calloway Co. KY

60 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Courtship inducing fore-claws of the male river cooter. He gently strokes the face of the receptive female with these, and then BA-BAM! They get busy in the lake...Turtle Love.

62 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Chrysemys picta - Graves Co. KY - depositing her eggs.

64 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

66 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Snapper - Henry Co. TN - second year in a row I have found her nesting at this location along the sandy creek.

68 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

72 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Pseudemys concinna shell found along the Kentucky Lake shoreline in Trigg. Co. KY. Shell measured more than 14 inches and is to date one of the largest I've ever found.

74 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

76 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

77 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
This a page from the annual issue of the Kentucky Fishing & Boating Guide page eleven. It is among the fishing regulations for our state. And it is pretty damn sad. Apparently, Kentucky does not interpret nor separate 'fish' from 'turtles'. This is a serious problem. I have a problem with harvesting turtles for food. It just seems pointless to me. Apparently, there is no limit on snapping turtles in Kentucky. You can kill at will and as many as you please.

(301 KAR 1:058) "Anglers may take snapping turtles (except alligator snapping turtles) and up to 5 softshell turtles year round by the same methods legal for taking rough fish species"

How can this be enforced? The F&G boys I know would not enforce this. And most honestly could not, nor would not decipher an alligator snapper from the common.

goes on to state: "A hunting license is required when taking turtles by gun or by bow and arrow. Otherwise, a fishing license required".......

Seriously it says that. No distinction. Trust me on this, Joe Bob and Bubba shoot'n turtles from a bridge anywhere in the south are not going to go into the water and retrieve those dead or nearly dead and bloodied turtles...softshell or otherwise. Those turtles are no more than living targets to most of these idiots.

Final conclusion is this - there is an open season on Kentucky's turtles. And this has been the case for my entire lifetime. This needs to change. I am curious what others think of their state's regulations regarding turtles?

78 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Apalone spinifera - Calloway Co. KY - that swallowed a hook and was cut by fisherman and discarded along the shoreline. This a very sad and painful death. I almost did not post this, but felt important that people know that this is a common death among turtles.

80 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Limb lines such as these take a horrific death toll on southern turtle populations. I cut every single one I find. No exceptions.

81 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
James above the 'Blood'.

82 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

84 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Gray Treefrog - Hardin Co. KY - This one peering in through the kitchen window as Denna prepared supper for the evening.

86 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Slender Glass Lizard - Edmonson Co. KY

88 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Five-lined Skink - Calloway Co. KY

92 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Ground Skink - Calloway Co. KY

93 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Eastern Fence Lizard - Graves Co. KY

94 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Six-lined Racerunner - Calloway Co. KY

96 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Broadhead Skink - Graves Co. KY

98 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

100 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Southern Coal Skink - Calloway Co. KY. This was one of several nesting adults James and I found in the spring and summer.

102 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Southern Coal SKink - Graves Co. KY - Several adults would be found in late February. This is a new county record for the state of Kentucky. This specie is 'threatened' in Kentucky. It is more importantly the westward most range extension of this species in the state. Two range and distribution extensions were published in the Journal of Herp Review for the month of September for regional herps, and then three more, including this find have been submitted for publication as well. Making this find with my closest friend Tim Johnson was one of the more memorable moments of 2012.

103 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Crash of the Delta Mariner on January 26, 2012. This massive sea going vessel on its way to Cape Canaveral Florida (transporting rocket boosters) crashed into and destroyed a 300 foot section of the (Eggner's Ferry) bridge. The bridge would not be repaired for another 6 months. This bridge was the only bridge linking two significant regions of the state together. This photo (I apologize for it) was taken from the window of my father's plane at 3,300 feet.

106 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
'Dad'

108 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
This photo taken by Tina Carroll of the AP.

110 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

122 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

124 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

126 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Bryozoa - Kentucky Lake (Tennessee River)

128 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
March of the Loblolly

130 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
White-tail deer on my father's property

132 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
White Pelicans - Trigg Co. KY

134 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Black Vultures - Graves Co. KY

136 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Ben Franaklin's other 'Wild Turkey' - Calloway Co. KY

138 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Ringbilled Gulls - Trigg Co. KY

139 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Bonaparte's Gulls - Trigg Co. KY

140 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Coots/Mud Ducks - Calloway Co. KY

144 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Murray State College Rodeo Team competition. Jessica loves the rodeo - we don't miss a one. MSU is the only university in the state with a rodeo team.

146 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
'Cowboy UP!'

148 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

150 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

152 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Jack Hanna, a native Tennessean and curator of the Columbus Zoo I believe, made a visit to Madisonville KY and the MCC to give a lecture. Meeting him for the first time along with my daughter Jessica was an honor. Jungle Jack!!

154 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

160 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Dr.'s AF. Scott of Austin Peay State University and Edmund J. Zimmerer of Murray State University talking shop. These two gentlemen have influenced many naturalist and students over their many years. I am proud to know these great men.

161 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Measuring 'flow' along the Clarks River outside of Murray - USGA

164 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

166 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Cotton - swimming the back waters of the Blood - Calloway Co. KY

168 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Red Milk - Trigg Co. KY

170 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Red Milk - Fulton Co. KY

173 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Midland Water - Graves Co. KY

174 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
'Blue' mudder - Graves Co. KY

176 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Mississippi Ringneck - Calloway Co. KY. This was one of the more reddish specimens I've seen.

178 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Scarlet Snake - Trigg Co. KY

180 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Clinton and snapper.

190 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

192 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

194 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

196 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

198 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Tim Johnson and a broad-banded water snake - Fulton Co. KY

200 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Mr. Robert 'Bob' Todd and Denna at his home in Sonora, Kentucky. Mr. Todd is 82 years young and is widely regarded as the most knowledgeable herpetologists in the state.

202 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Racer - Edmonson Co. KY

204 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Corn/red-chicken snake - Edmonson Co. KY

206 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Northern Copperhead - Edmonson Co. KY

208 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

210 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

212 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
FHF member Jason Butler netting in western KY

214 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Spotted Fishing Spider

216 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Black-winged Damsel

218 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Mesophytic forest floodplain in Graves Co. KY

220 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

222 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

224 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

225 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Red Milk - Trigg Co. KY I am almost certain that this is the exact same female I found last spring underneath same series of rocks at fieldside. She looked even better this year!

228 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Scarlet King - Trigg Co. KY - one of two found within an hour of each other.

230 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Eastern Ribbon - Marshall Co. KY - Huge adult and very pale white mid-dorsal stripe. Nice.

232 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Eastern Ribbon - Marshall Co. KY - Lots of these found in several western Kentucky counties this season. This a juvenile.

233 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Midland Water - Graves Co. KY

234 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

235 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Racer nest

236 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

238 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

239 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
FHF member Evan Brown of Paducah. On this night Evan and I would road cruise mostly copperheads in Land Between the Lakes.

240 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

241 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Tim and Clinton - on this night in southwestern Kentucky, we would document the highest density of Hyla cinera amplexus in Kentucky that I am aware of.

242 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

248 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

249 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Rough Green - Hopkins Co. KY

250 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

251 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Kirtland's Snake - Graves Co. KY - Lots of Kirtlands would be found despite the dry conditions.

254 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

255 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Northern Redbelly (red phase) - Calloway Co. KY

256 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Northern Redbelly (gray phase) - Calloway Co. KY

258 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Northern Redbelly (?) phase - Calloway Co. KY - I have never seen one quite like this. Not really even sure what to call it? Call it beautiful. This adult snake was found during the day, on foot as I walked down a gravel road in early summer. When I explained to my daughter about the named color phases for redbellies, she came up with her own....'coral on denim blue'. Ha-ha. I like it, but don't think we'll be seeing that in the updated version of Conant's field guide.

260 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

262 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr

264 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Blue-Eyed Grass - Calloway Co. KY.....one of my all time favorite Kentucky wildflowers.

266 by Dave Frymire, on Flickr
Deptford Pink - Calloway Co. KY

Thanks for going through this ya'll.

RocK ON!!

Dave
Barry R

Re: Washed in the Blood 2012...

Post by Barry R »

Amen bro. Looks like a great year. Was the Kirtlands in the Purchase Region? I think I'd been on that bridge just days before that accident. :shock:
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

Been looking forward to another post from you and you didn't disappoint! Another awesome year and more great photos!
justinm

Post by justinm »

Jealous of the Mudsnakes and the Kirtlands. Nice bright pics all around.
Dr. Dark

Post by Dr. Dark »

Killer post! LOVE the muds, the Kirtland's and those really gorgeous Nerodia!
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

I loved this post! You guys have the most beautiful Northern watersnakes... i love the picture of the female with her babies. I think that and the #166 cottonmouth are my favorite pictures. Great year, and thanks for sharing! What species egg mass is #126?

-Bethany
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

This is the best post I've seen so far in 2013. Your photos are outstanding. I am a turtle guy so I appreciate all the turtle photos. The boxie in the stream, the kirtlands, red milks, and the stunning pleuralis (intergrade?) :shock: Just awesome.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Rich in Reptiles wrote: What species egg mass is #126?

-Bethany
Bethany, that is a freshwater invertebrate called a Bryozoa. They are often mistaken for an egg mass.
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Very nice set of images! I really liked that first cottonmouth.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

holy crap!!!!! first cotton shot. amazing.

-ben
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Thank you all for taking time to look at the post. I apologize for taking too long placing comments for each pic. I am not so fleet of finger here. I will try to have it complete tonight.

Barry R. - Yes Sir, you are dead on for the Jackson Purchase Clonophis kirtlandii. Have you found them in the Shawnee Hills area?

Thanks for the kind compliments Barry R., jayder85, justinm, Dr. Dark, bgorum, Bethany and Mike.

Yes Bethany on what Mike said. He knows his 'aquatics'. And he is a brother from another mother for loving the 'turtle'.
That cottonmouth swam right at me before it realized I was not a maple tree. But I clicked a few just as the realization sat in. Our water snakes down here are really pretty.

Mike, thanks again for the kind words.

Dave
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

I am viewing this thread at work and yelled the F-word rather loudly while I was scrolling and saw the first Lampropeltis. Unknowingly, I commenced to swear again when I saw the hatching Mudsnakes.

What a post!
beamer69

Post by beamer69 »

:thumb: Really enjoyed this years post, awesome pics as always. Too many favorites to choose from, really enjoyed them all. :D
Ecto Hunter

Post by Ecto Hunter »

Awesome finds and awesome pictures. hard to pick a favorite but I'll go with the hatching muds. I also enjoy cutting down limb lines on the Chattahoochee and Flint rivers :beer:
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

A very touching post on so many levels. Great atmospheric photography - you don't seem to try hard, but the outcome is very elegant.

This is my favorite photo. Looks even better in grayscale!

PS: What's the story behind the ring?
cherper

Post by cherper »

I can't believe that no one commented on that blue and red red-bellied snake. Un-believable! Great post all the way through, Dave.

Cary
MichaelCravens

Post by MichaelCravens »

Dave, all I can say is, exceptional post. I hope to get to herp with you someday.

Michael Cravens
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Danger, danger...sensory overload!! :o :shock: :!: :) :D

Excellent work here, Dave. I enjoyed every minute of it. :beer:

Daniel
dery

Post by dery »

Lovely post Dave. My 2012 wasn't as good. But it was better than my 2011.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Zach - Thanks. You crack me up!

beamer69 - THank you.

Ecto Hunter - Thank you. Cutting those limb lines down and then transporting them out from harms way can be tricky. I usually pack the hooks in a plastic jar I carry with me in my camera bag. If more people did this, we would save a significant number of turtles. Keep on keep'n on.

Hans - WoW, thanks sir for the beautiful comments. That ring is an engagement ring of a four plus year relationship with a woman who 'gets me'. Lets me spend that time in the out of doors and questions not. She's a jewel. And hell, she can cook too! LOL

Cary - Right on! That was my favorite one too. I have never seen anything like it before with that color scheme. Lots of variation with redbellies up here. But that one froze me in my tracks.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Michael - Thank you. It would by my honor to herp with you sir....especially in ARIZONA!!! Hint-hint. LOL. But I understand being a dad with such a newborn gift is time consuming. But one day, I would love to go back out to Arizona. Too long. But some of the best memories I ever had in the Sonoaran.

Daniel - Thank you sir.

dery - It was a bad drought from here to there (upper Alabama), and I just hope this year is different. We have had more preciptitation so far compared to last, but still not getting those big rains. Next month is going to be very telling.

Rock ON!

Dave
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Dave, it looks like you had a really great year. I must admit, I am jealous of all your mud snake finds!
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

Nice post, that' a lot of snakes.
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

I agree, great post. I loved the turtle diversity. I am looking forward to the amphibian portion.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Soopaman - I am glad you liked the Farancia. They are one of the most beautiful of North American fauna.

Carl - Thanks.

Jason - Turtles seem to kinda ride in the back seat on this forum. Not really sure why. And no one from Kentucky had ever posted much of anything on here other than snakes, so I wanted to show other reptiles (turts & lizards) from our state beyond snakes. Glad you like.

Rock ON!

Dave
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Very Cool Post! Besides all the other great shots of amazing herps... I am always fixated by Glass Lizards... So cool. :thumb: jim
TeeJay

Post by TeeJay »

That 'coral on denim' Redbelly is amazing! Got any more pics of it?
Brendan Murray

Post by Brendan Murray »

Greta post! The red milks are stunning! As are the water snakes.
HornedFrog44

Post by HornedFrog44 »

I thought that the hook is supposed to dissolve relatively quickly in a turtle's/ fish's mouth... so if you are forced to cut a line the animal would still be okay. Is that a myth?

Thanks for posting.
Y.Morgan

Post by Y.Morgan »

Man, what a lot of fun I had looking at your great post - twice! It's cool that you saw the same nesting snapper two years in a row. The racer hatchling pic is awesome. And I really like a couple of the midlands - wow! I agree with several other people that the cottonmouth swimming is a stunner. Thanks for a slice of life so different than what I'm used to! :beer:
York
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

This a page from the annual issue of the Kentucky Fishing & Boating Guide page eleven. It is among the fishing regulations for our state. And it is pretty damn sad. Apparently, Kentucky does not interpret nor separate 'fish' from 'turtles'. This is a serious problem. I have a problem with harvesting turtles for food. It just seems pointless to me. Apparently, there is no limit on snapping turtles in Kentucky. You can kill at will and as many as you please.

(301 KAR 1:058) "Anglers may take snapping turtles (except alligator snapping turtles) and up to 5 softshell turtles year round by the same methods legal for taking rough fish species"

How can this be enforced? The F&G boys I know would not enforce this. And most honestly could not, nor would not decipher an alligator snapper from the common.

goes on to state: "A hunting license is required when taking turtles by gun or by bow and arrow. Otherwise, a fishing license required".......

Seriously it says that. No distinction. Trust me on this, Joe Bob and Bubba shoot'n turtles from a bridge anywhere in the south are not going to go into the water and retrieve those dead or nearly dead and bloodied turtles...softshell or otherwise. Those turtles are no more than living targets to most of these idiots.

Final conclusion is this - there is an open season on Kentucky's turtles. And this has been the case for my entire lifetime. This needs to change. I am curious what others think of their state's regulations regarding turtles?
State regs in turtle-land have been evolving rapidly in the last decade, mainly in response to perceptions (accurate or not) of Asian market demand. Commercial harvesters and "ranchers" have been potent stakeholders in many cases. I have no idea what the case may be in KY (whether things have changed much yet, or whether you have much of a commercial demand or presence). Whatever our personal feelings about consumptive use of turtles, at the personal or commercial level (and I suspect there's high consensus here on that...), I suspect we would all agree it's nicer to live in a society where we each and all have a role in looking after our own interests, than in a society where we do not. It's worth talking to each other (with people of other interests, I mean, not just each other here on FHF) because we can often discover management approaches that allow all parties some comfort and success. Sometimes you get some really weird "strange bedfellows" situations, that are quite satisfactory.

This thread may interest you, and provoke some participation:
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 20&t=15284

as may this (perhaps to a lesser extent)
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 20&t=15083

Hope you get "the right amount" of rain this year. I understand your regional drought situation has improved markedly from last summer. Unlike to your west...

Cheers,
Jimi
Phil Peak

Post by Phil Peak »

Very enjoyable post Dave! Wow! That red belly snake is nuclear hot! Beautiful selection of milks and midlands too. Congratulations on your engagement and best of luck to you in 2013.

Phil
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Awesome post Dave! Really enjoyed all of it!

The first little softshell, the swimming cotton, the milks, EVERYTHING!

Congrats on a great year! :thumb:

Gary
moloch

Post by moloch »

What an excellent post! I can see why you like that area with such a good diversity of animals. Those turtle shots were superb.

Regards,
David
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Holy crap Dave. That was stunning. I can't even begin to pick a favorite- though the turtle skull inside the shell was right up there, the coral-on-denim-blue Storeria, the green dragon, all of 'em. Wowza! Surprised no one else has commented, but a big congratulations on the last photo!

Keep on rockin', brother!
--Berkeley
Barry R

Post by Barry R »

Dave, I was actually unaware of Clonophis in the Purchase region. I only knew of the ones farther east in the state. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any in my area, though I have been to places where older records occur (Minton).
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Phenomenal, stunning post. Absolutely loved it. The first boxy, in the clear water, is so beautiful. Also loved all of the map turtles. To echo others, the coral-on-denim redbelly is a stunner, and the shot of the moc swimming towards you is AWESOME. Holy cow, man...if I could compile posts half this cool, I'd be so happy.
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

They (turtles) do a little bit. I keep my interests pretty well rounded. Even so, I have become much more enamored with turtles the past 4 or 5 years, and I love a good map turtle. There is a strong turtle following out there, they just don't get the attention of rattlesnakes.

Thanks again,

Jason
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

hellihooks - Thank you very much.

TeeJay - That snake was crazy. Yes, many pics of her. The belly was brilliant red and as intense as the dorsal.

Brendan - Thanks. I did not find so many 'syspila' this year, but what was found was pleasing to the eye.

HornedFrog44 - From my knowledge and what I've witnessed in the field (an I've lots of pics to back this up dating back to 1990), a turtle that consumes a hook is as good as 'dead'. And I can imagine a very painful death at that.

York - Thank you sir. Your posts are always my favorites. I love your eyes of the world and perspective. Very unique. That cottonmouth shot was one of my favorites as well. I shot it with a 300 + converter to amp the power and distance. He was coming right to me, and I was planted waist deep in creek water....I had to either move out of the way and risk losing my light and angle, or I could fire off some shots....I chose the latter.

Rock ON!
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Jimi - Good points. Love your insight.

You mention:
"State regs in turtle-land have been evolving rapidly in the last decade...."
The 'evolving' part of this and the 'Kentucky' part just not so hand-in-hand Jimi. Kentucky not progressive at any level when it comes to the welfare and protection of her natural resources and especially flora and fauna. Just an ugly reality.
Thanks for the links. I am going to read over them carefully later this evening.

Phil - 'nuclear hot' it is. LOL. Thanks on the engagement comment. Hope you make some great finds this year sir.

Gary2sons - Thanks Gary. Do our Kentucky 'syspila' come close to ya'lls Mizzouri?? I think that the prettiest reds I have seen (and many from your posts) tell me the prettiest red milks may be from the 'Show Me' state.

moloch - Thanks David. I appreciate your comments especially on the turtles.

Berkeley - Thanks so much for the very kind comments.

Barry R. - Clonophis was discovered in the Jackson Purchase physical region of Kentucky in 1997 by our state's best - Scott Shupe.

Tamara - You are so kind Tamara. I am really happy you liked. I love all your posts, girl. Fantastic.

Jason - True on that - turts vs rattlers is pretty one sided. I think alot of it though is the 'danger' stigma associated with snakes and not so much the turtles. I get that.

Rock ON!

Dave
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Awesome post! The dragon plant is interesting, I had never heard of that sp. before.

Keep fighting the good fight against the turtle killers :lol: :beer:
beamer69

Post by beamer69 »

Outstanding pics! Can't wait to get the opportunity to go herping with you :thumb:
Speckled Rosy

Post by Speckled Rosy »

Great post! Thanks for putting this together, and looks like you really get around in ayear.. Loved the numerous habitat shots and of coarse the herp diversity all around! :beer:

-Dan
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Coluber constictor - Green Dragons and turtles - Don't get no better than that!

beamer69 - You have...and you (we) will again. Remember the vultures on our first???

Speckled Rosy - Dan thanks for the kind comments.

Dave
pete

Post by pete »

Absolutely OUTSTANDING!! :thumb:

Thank you for taking the time to post this! Loved it all!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Wow! Thanks for sharing!!

-Chris
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

My jaw dropped lower and lower as I looked through that post, incredible finds! My favorite photo has to be that watersnake with all the little ones, that's awesome, fantastic photos all around!
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Absolutely amazing pics, especially the basking map turtles...damn...I need to get a better camera. Good job... :thumb:
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

Man, that was an outrageous post! I particularly like the turtles, but all around... wow.

-Jake
MichaelCravens

Post by MichaelCravens »

Dave,

You are welcome here anytime, bring the family. We'll put you and yours up for as long as you like. I'm still PLANNING on getting a lot of herping in this season. I think I can balance being an attentive father and getting enough field time in. I've over estimated myself before though. This monsoon season works for me!

Michael Cravens