Going to the Grand Canyon

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

HerperBrewer

Going to the Grand Canyon

Post by HerperBrewer »

Hello Gents,

I am a CA native, and I'm currently a student at Penn State (I can assure you that there is no herping going on around here at this time of the year!). I am posting because, during the very beginning of March, I will be in the Grand Canyon area for a few days. I'd like to get some herping in, but I am all to aware of the fact that it might be too early in the year in that part of the state. I hope I am wrong, but if anybody can give some insight into the issue I would be hugely appreciative. If it is indeed too early to herp then, I would also be interested in knowing which general areas I could travel to (south I assume) that would be more fruitful. Additionally, I would be really very interested in possibly meeting up with some of you guys to herp if possible - Arizona is a land of myth and legend in my mind so I'd like to try to make the most out of my brief trip.

Thanks Guys

Mark
MtnRattler

Re: Going to the Grand Canyon

Post by MtnRattler »

If it were me ? I'd skip the canyon that early and try much farther south. Low desert would be your best bet for seeing critters then.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I agree. I would try the area around Phoenix or the western deserts instead.
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

If you have never seen the Grand Canyon, I wouldn't skip it for reptiles. Down in the canyon, you have a chance to see stuff. It is almost as warm in the canyon as it is near Phoenix. If you aren't going into the Grand Canyon, I suggest just seeing the Grand Canyon on the south rim and check out some of the view points for a day, then going south.

The Grand Canyon is guaranteed to be beautiful. The weather in March can be unpredictable all over the state - it can be freezing or we could get 90 degree weather. You won't want to get skunked looking for reptiles and NOT see the Grand Canyon. If it were monsoon time or even April/May, it may be a different story

Also, are you going to be travelling by youself or with family or friends? Will they want to skip the Grand Canyon?

As for where to go... you will have to look at weather conditions and that will tell you where to go. Trouble is that it is likely to be somewhere far from where you will be.

Good luck on your decision. Arizona has some of the most beautiful landscapes and some pretty cool herps all around the state!

Last February I saw this:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Norman is correct ... if you have never been there... you gotta go to the Canyon at least once in your life.
Southwest wanderer

Post by Southwest wanderer »

Hi Mark,

I agree with Norman. A spring trip to the canyon may turn out to be quite surprising. I only wish I lived closer to the GC to go there more frequently. There is seriously years worth of trails to explore down in the canyon. I've been to the South Rim, The North Rim, and did a 25 day float trip down the river in late september 08'. I was just becoming more interested in herps by the time I did the river trip, and managed to see some pretty cool lizards; but the snakes eluded me.

So some things to think about:

It generally is 10 degrees warmer at Phantom Ranch down by the river compared to the rims. I think the south rim visitor center is a bit lower elevation than the north rim visitor center.

Hiking down into the canyon towards the river is way easier than hiking back out. I wouldn't hike down without a gallon of water. Even though spring will be cooler, bring enough water for a full day.

You might look at topo maps with trails marked and start thinking like a herp. What areas are basking in the sun for longer periods of the day. I know that sound weird, and maybe you won't really be able to tell until you get there.

Hope you have a good trip,
Janine
HerperBrewer

Post by HerperBrewer »

Thanks for the responses guys. They have been very helpful.

Norman: Don't worry, there is no way I'm missing the GC. I am going on a leadership program with my university, so I will have scheduled activities for the majority of the time anyways, but I am always herping (even subconsciously while driving down the freeway) so I thought I would ask some natives about my chances. I guess I'll bring my hook along just in case, and I'll obviously have my camera. I would kill to see abyssus some time in my life.

Thanks again everyone

Mark
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

HerperBrewer wrote:
I guess I'll bring my hook along just in case, and I'll obviously have my camera. I would kill to see abyssus some time in my life.

Mark
Mark, I haven't seen an abyssus myself (haven't looked yet). But I do know they can be found in March in the canyon bottoms, so just hope for some warm weather. Not to sure if you are allowed to have a hook in the canyon - you may want to look into it. From what I understand is abyssus is mellow and I am sure you can photo it without a hook.

If you have free time after the GC and want to look for herps, I would suggest go south, west, or southwest.

Good luck and enjoy!
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

I visited last summer, and "You Gotta See it to Believe it!". Coconino on the South Rim has some species but up on where the visitors center is. All i saw were Uta and Scoleporus. snakes would be denning then but you might see something (cerberus and molossus to the south). Abyssus is rare, and only found inside the canyon. On the north rim and near page and powell there are some more options. I would still suggest taking a look there, get a french onion soup at El Tovar and get some gas to head down to Portal :D
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Even though I haven't looked/seen abyssus, I wouldn't say they are rare. They are not only in the Grand Canyon, but around and in the canyon...and in other canyons...and in some canyons and areas in Utah.

March is a great month to see all the major sites and landmarks (with a chance of still seeing stuff).... this way, next time you visit - you can concentrate on herping.