Found a few coachwhips in 2012

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Gary2sons

Found a few coachwhips in 2012

Post by Gary2sons »

Had a great year for coachwhips with a total of five. Struck out completely in 2011!

Our first was an early March 18th find which turned out to be a fantastic day with lots of other finds!
Posted this earlier, http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=10768

The next weekend we hit another glade and found this.

It was a cool day and the snake was very cold but just soaking up what little sun there was.

Had my 5 year old grandson with us. It was his first major herping trip so he was very excited when we found the coachwhip. He had only been herping before on our property and camping trips. The fact that herpfriend was with us also made him think he was a big time herper.

The snake had just recently came out with the mud on the head. The cool temps made for an easy catch for pics.

Grandson wanted to touch the snake. Also a habitat pic. It was along a power line and gravel road.

A last posed pic before letting it go!

That made for two coachwhips in March so we knew it was going to be a great Spring.

One of my sons and I went to a glade in April and found two that day. The first he only got one pic before it slowly crawled behind the big tree. We were both disappointed when we found the tree to be hollow on the other side.

A short time later he yells out COACHWHIP again! There is just something exciting about hearing that word because you never know what may take place!

This time the snake was right in between us.

I said let's just keep taking pics and moving closer

We got very close to take these

Finally had to ask if he had any pics of me so he took this one :D

Thought it was really cool to get these pics with my son in the background!

The snake finally took off into some leaves and disappeared. I had sat down on a rock to review the pics when he slowly came back out and started crawling towards me. Tried to remain very still and got some more pics.

After that the coachwhip did the usual and took off. Very fast and went down the hillside and up the other side. Amazing how fast they can be!

Our last one we found in May was also on a glade. Only got a couple pics before it went up a tree. Too high for any good pics.

After a great Spring the rains stopped about mid May and it was over for the most part. With March temps sometimes in the 70's and 80's it was really an unusual year.

I have told my sons to always look ahead and to the side when walking through a glade. Since one of my sons found 4 coachwhips this year and herpfriend found the other I think I will try and take my own advice this year! :lol:

Thanks for looking!

Gary
chris_mcmartin

Re: Found a few coachwhips in 2012

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Very nice!
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Very indeed.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Gary,

Are those things using those rocky outcrops as hibernaculas? Are they more forest dwelling in MO?

Dave
Soro

Post by Soro »

I love these posts! Those are very pretty snakes you took pictures of, and the insitu approach makes for some cool pictures. Glad you guys had such a great year!
Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

LOL. I'm jealous. Cool coachwhips - literally and figuratively. Every one I've managed to land a hand on in AZ has chewed me up. Terrific snakes and thanks for sharing winter herping with those of us on the sidelines til temps take an uptick.
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Thanks Chris, Soro, and Verhoodled for the comments!
walk-about wrote:Gary,

Are those things using those rocky outcrops as hibernaculas? Are they more forest dwelling in MO?

Dave
I would say yes, Dave. Since we have seen more than a few disappear down holes and cracks in rocky outcrops over the years. We find most on glades but the forest along the glades can be good also. Just a much better chance of seeing one soaking up the sun on a glade. They probably are some that go a ways into somewhat dense forest but would be very difficult to find of course. I have found DOR's in what I would describe as not the usual habitat. Always fun to check out the area around a hole or crack where one has been seen before.

Gary
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Great post Gary, love the mix of habitat shot w/ animals. Gotta love coachwhips.

-Dell
herpfriend

Post by herpfriend »

Here is an insitu shot of the May coachwhip. As you can see it was a juvenile.

mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Awesome stuff, Gary! I didn't find nearly as many in Arkansas/Oklahoma this year, compared to last year. I did get a giant tan guy in Florida this year though.