Lisinopril

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kettlerr

Lisinopril

Post by Kettlerr » December 10th, 2012, 8:54 pm

There's a medicine called 'lisinopril' which is used to treat high blood pressure. Scientists used the venom of a Brazilian snake to develop this medication.
Does anyone know the name of the snake?

dery

Re: Lisinopril

Post by dery » December 10th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Kettlerr wrote:There's a medicine called 'lisinopril' which is used to treat high blood pressure. Scientists used the venom of a Brazilian snake to develop this medication.
Does anyone know the name of the snake?
It doesn't contain venom
http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-qu ... nake-venom

Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn » December 10th, 2012, 10:27 pm

It doesn't contain venom
That doesn't mean it doesn't contain a synthetic product developed as a result of research on snake venom. I'm sure its the same for snakes but Im positive that there's alot of medication thats been developed from frogs and toads, its synthetically produced in labs they're not sitting there swabbing the skin of frogs to get the peptides and whatnot for their medicine.

As to the actual question, I have no idea...

froghaven

Post by froghaven » December 10th, 2012, 11:09 pm

It was originally developed because of observations and research using a snake venom.

The development of this group of medications almost reads like a medical mystery. It all started with the venom of a poisonous Brazilian snake.

The deadly jararaca caused severe hemorrhaging. An extract from the venom was found to affect the kidney and ultimately blood pressure regulation. This led to the creation of enzyme blockers in Capoten, Vasotec and Prinivil which are revolutionizing the treatment of hypertension and congestive heart failure.

Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn » December 11th, 2012, 12:30 am

Cool, so its Bothrops jararaca, thanks for the info.

beanie

Post by beanie » December 11th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Very interesting. I take Lisinopril

dery

Post by dery » December 11th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Wait, bothrops jararaca are poisonous and venomous???

Jimmy_77

Re: Sv: Lisinopril

Post by Jimmy_77 » December 11th, 2012, 11:12 pm

dery wrote:Wait, bothrops jararaca are poisonous and venomous???
No, just venomous.
There is however at least one snake species that is both poisonous and venomous. Yamakagashi.

dery

Re: Sv: Lisinopril

Post by dery » December 12th, 2012, 1:11 pm

Jimmy_77 wrote:
dery wrote:Wait, bothrops jararaca are poisonous and venomous???
No, just venomous.
There is however at least one snake species that is both poisonous and venomous. Yamakagashi.
Yep, that's the only poisonous snake I know of. Yet it's range is on the other side of the world and is a colubrid, not a viper. :thumb:

MuayThaipan

Post by MuayThaipan » December 12th, 2012, 6:51 pm

It was a compound synthysed from Bothrops moojeni if memory serves. Or posibly B.jararacussu. Look up all the drugs that have been made from Calloselasma rhodostoma. When I was volunteering at the krz a german drug country sent them like 300 of them once they Synthised the compound and no longer needed the actual snake venom. Sorry for my typos I'm learning to type on a new android tablet.

dery

Post by dery » December 12th, 2012, 7:20 pm

froghaven wrote:It was originally developed because of observations and research using a snake venom.

The development of this group of medications almost reads like a medical mystery. It all started with the venom of a poisonous Brazilian snake.

The deadly jararaca caused severe hemorrhaging. An extract from the venom was found to affect the kidney and ultimately blood pressure regulation. This led to the creation of enzyme blockers in Capoten, Vasotec and Prinivil which are revolutionizing the treatment of hypertension and congestive heart failure.
I'm not good in the pharmacy field, so disreguard my link. :beer:

klawnskale

Post by klawnskale » December 15th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Lisinopril is one of a class of medications known as ACE Inhibitors (Angiotensive Conversion Enzyme) People with hypertension may produce too much of this enzyme which constricts blood vessels thereby inhibiting blood flow. ACE Inhibitors help to block the receptors that manufacture and release this enzyme. My guess it was formulated after the hemotoxic properties of the snake's venom. If you take ACE Inhibitors and are bitten by a venomous snake, be sure to inform the attending physician because this can have a serious and profound affect on successful treatment; especially if you are bitten by a snake with very hemotoxic venom. The nice thing about ACE Inhibitors is that they are very effective with very few side affects (it may give some people an annoying cough) and inexpensive for hypertension treatment.