Salamander behavior question

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

pelagicpursuits

Salamander behavior question

Post by pelagicpursuits »

I was wondering what salamander activity is like in Tennessee towards the end of September. What would most of the stream and terrestrial species be doing at that time of year. We have a family vacation to Pigeon Forge and I'll probably do a bit of herp photography when we have down time.

Thanks, Chad Propst
kricket

Re: Salamander behavior question

Post by kricket »

I'd highly recommend you invest in a copy of Dodd's The Amphibians of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, if you don't have one already. It's a great amphibian book in general, but also has maps of the species distributions within the park and anecdotal information of when and where you might see a species.

It's difficult to say what "salamanders" are doing at any given time of year. There is a huge amount of variability in behavior from species to species. Generally speaking, September is still within the active season of most salamander species in TN, which means you should be able to find some since they won't be burrowed underground unless it has been very dry. September is also within the breeding season of some species so you may have luck looking for nests under logs next to streams for some desmogs, under logs in the forest for plethodons or checking ponds for larval newts. Night herping might find you the most adults wandering around, though of course it's more difficult to take pictures then! Otherwise, just flip a lot of logs and you should be able to find quite a few. And make sure you post some pics of what you find when you get back! :D

- Kara
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

You can find a number of species in Sept. in Tennessee. Aquatic salamanders (Desmognathus, Pseudotriton, Gyrinophilus, Eurycea, etc.) are easily found in mountain streams and first-order streams throughout much of the year. Many of the lungless salamanders are also easily found throughout most of the year under moisture retaining logs. I've even found several of the slimy complex salamanders under tinder dry logs (they are a hardy group). But overall moisture plays a big role in much of the activity. I just got back from a salamander trip to extreme N. Georgia and found 8 species. Even some of the less fossorial Ambystomids can be found in the dead of summer.

You really shouldn't have an issue, and it's been a fairly damp summer.

Good luck,

Jake
BDSkinner

Post by BDSkinner »

I would agree and say September is great for salamanders. I always love fall for it, cool temperatures and generally good amounts of rain. Any night you do have precipitation, I would suggest walking around for the woodland species. They should be everywhere.