Some Carolina Critters

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Steve Atkins

Some Carolina Critters

Post by Steve Atkins »

1st, to avoid any confusion, I changed my username from Fox Cove 4 to Steve Atkins

These go back a few months, I dont think i have posted any of these yet

Found this guy in my yard, that makes 2 in 10 years

I was able to locate this guy on 3 seperate occasions

Spotted Salamanders

Weller's

4 legged stork

Oak tree hoppers

Steve Atkins

Re: Some Carolina Critters

Post by Steve Atkins »

not herps, but if you find elk interesting:

thats all for now, thanks for looking
Steve Atkins

Kevin Messenger

Post by Kevin Messenger »

wow, super shots! that stork threw me for a bit, crazy how blended those two are!
dery

Post by dery »

Steve,I sould turn to you for help; since you're able to change your fhf username. :lol:
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

Damn... you're good. What kind of equipment are you using?... I know that has little to do with the shots you posted. The fox... how close were you and why is the ear bloody? You either took thousands of shots to get most of those... or... you are seriously good.

I really enjoyed the photos.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

These pictures made me so happy. They are great
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

-EJ wrote:Damn... you're good. What kind of equipment are you using?... I know that has little to do with the shots you posted. The fox... how close were you and why is the ear bloody? You either took thousands of shots to get most of those... or... you are seriously good.

Thanks, I doo take a lot of shots, but less than I used to ;) Most of these were shot with a nikon d300, then I recently upgraded to a nikon d800 when the d300 crapped out. I have a few different lenses also, a sigma 150 mm 2.8 macro, a nikkon 50-250, and a sigma 50-500 zoom. the fox was shot with a nikon 70-200 2.8, that sadly for me, wasn't mine, I was just borrowing it. What an awesome lens that is. As for the fox, it hung around the woods near a clients house for most of the summer, I was able to get fairly close to it a few times. (I have a ton pics of it) I am not sure what happened to its ear, but the next time I saw it, it seemed to be healing nicely. Then, it dissapeared for months. Today I was poking around in the woods near the clients house and was able to see it again for the first time in a while. It's looking rough, all mangy. I can post a pic later, if I get to it. my computer and photobucket do not get along anymore.
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

Kelly Mc wrote:These pictures made me so happy.
That's the best compliment my photography has ever recieved :beer:
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

That is so cool with the fox. I wonder what their lifespan is.

I did enjoy your photos... keep em coming.

Steve Atkins wrote:
-EJ wrote:Damn... you're good. What kind of equipment are you using?... I know that has little to do with the shots you posted. The fox... how close were you and why is the ear bloody? You either took thousands of shots to get most of those... or... you are seriously good.

Thanks, I doo take a lot of shots, but less than I used to ;) Most of these were shot with a nikon d300, then I recently upgraded to a nikon d800 when the d300 crapped out. I have a few different lenses also, a sigma 150 mm 2.8 macro, a nikkon 50-250, and a sigma 50-500 zoom. the fox was shot with a nikon 70-200 2.8, that sadly for me, wasn't mine, I was just borrowing it. What an awesome lens that is. As for the fox, it hung around the woods near a clients house for most of the summer, I was able to get fairly close to it a few times. (I have a ton pics of it) I am not sure what happened to its ear, but the next time I saw it, it seemed to be healing nicely. Then, it dissapeared for months. Today I was poking around in the woods near the clients house and was able to see it again for the first time in a while. It's looking rough, all mangy. I can post a pic later, if I get to it. my computer and photobucket do not get along anymore.
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Steve...That was an awesome post. I loved the shots of the kids...the look on the boy's face with the fence lizard on his shoulder...the young lady with the juvie rat snake. Some incredible photos of a wide variety of wildlife. I was thinking how much time and patience must have gone into each shot. I really appreciate your talent and your "eye" for beauty. Wow. I will revisit this post many times. Thank you.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

A wild Fox lives an average of 2 to 3 years. Great photos as usual! The "Duck on Face" had me laughing.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

That's what I thought and that was my point.
Mike VanValen wrote:A wild Fox lives an average of 2 to 3 years. Great photos as usual! The "Duck on Face" had me laughing.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Great shots Steve. Very nice work here. Is it me, or does that wood ibis 'stork' have four legs? Four wings too? That would be a helluva spectacle in flight. LoL. That fox looks like he got the worst end of what was likely a territorial battle. Several of the foxes I've seen in my lifetime that were seen in the open during daylight hours turned out to be rabid. I'd keep a watchful eye out on that. Great shots. Great eye sir.

Rock ON!

Dave
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

its a rare siamese wood stork. i read it will be getting a reality show soon
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

I can never get enough of your posts, Steve. They're always enjoyable and full of great photos. I can tell your kids enjoy what you enjoy...awesome!

DDD
Nigel Smith

Post by Nigel Smith »

Loved the gravid Timber and the hognose snake shots. Those Elk shots took the cake for me though. Thanks again for sharing.
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Beautiful and unique photography!
dery

Post by dery »

Nigel Smith wrote:Loved the gravid Timber and the hognose snake shots. Those Elk shots took the cake for me though. Thanks again for sharing.
Ha!! I said the same on a older post by Steve.
Steve Atkins

Re: Some Carolina d Critters

Post by Steve Atkins »

Nigel Smith wrote:Loved the gravid Timber and the hognose snake shots. Those Elk shots took the cake for me though. Thanks again for sharing.
How con you be sure the timber is pregnant and not just well fed? My initial thoughts were that it was pregnant, but this particular snake was deep in a cool moist "hollar" under some damp rhododendrons. Within 15 feet of this snake, we found red efts and gray cheek salamanders walking out in the open. Hardly the habitat you would expect to find a pregnant timber at least IME. I am nt doubting, just looking for some insight.
dery

Post by dery »

That lump looks more like a large meal to me, but not sure.
Joey Kennedy

Post by Joey Kennedy »

Beautiful Spotted and Wellers Steve! Hope we get to work together in the hellbender field again next summer!
~Joey Kennedy
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

Joey Kennedy wrote:Beautiful Spotted and Wellers Steve! Hope we get to work together in the hellbender field again next summer!
~Joey Kennedy

I will be there for certain, did you get my message about the picture of you holding the hellbender in the magazine?
Nigel Smith

Re: Some Carolina d Critters

Post by Nigel Smith »

Steve Atkins wrote:
How con you be sure the timber is pregnant and not just well fed? My initial thoughts were that it was pregnant, but this particular snake was deep in a cool moist "hollar" under some damp rhododendrons. Within 15 feet of this snake, we found red efts and gray cheek salamanders walking out in the open. Hardly the habitat you would expect to find a pregnant timber at least IME. I am nt doubting, just looking for some insight.
To answer your question the snake looked gravid at first glance. I was unaware of what surroundings you found the snake in.
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Great shots, Steve. I liked the underwater pix a lot. And the elk. And that gator just barely showing under all the cypress needles :thumb:
-Mike
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Awesome post!

Your photography skills are amazing! :thumb:

Gary
rip18

Post by rip18 »

Sweet shots! I liked them the first time I looked through them. Looking forward to shooting with you this spring!
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Great pics. Very nice... :thumb:
liucommajames

Post by liucommajames »

awesome stuff. so what's the real story behind the stork?

also, what's your underwater setup? or are you shooting in an aquarium?
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

Thanks guys, the larvae shots are in a small aquarium, for the hellbenders I use a Nikon d80 in an Ikelite housing.

As for the stork, I just took the picture. They must have been awfully close, I guess. I have stared at that picture a lot, it just seems stranger the more I look at it