Klamath Knot Herping Through The Years

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joshua Wallace

Klamath Knot Herping Through The Years

Post by Joshua Wallace »

One of my favorite places to go herping is in the Klamath and Siskiyou Mountains of northern California and southern Oregon. The country out there is stunningly beautiful with the mountains, gorges, and valleys setting up a wide variety of macro and micro habitats. A fair numbers of species use the mountains and associated valleys as corridors to expand to the north, south, east and west. In addition the unique geographic setting of region leads to a few endemics that we are just beginning to understand. I have taken several trips over the years to this area usually with my herping buddies Chris MacDonald, Andy O’Connor, and Sean Lundy. I can truly say that none of the experiences would be nearly as good without those guys. And with that let’s get to the action:

Snakes:

Northern Pacific Rattlesnake – The YOY is in situ

Pacific Gopher Snake

Mountain Garter Snake

Sharp-tailed Snake

Sharp-tailed with a Mountain Garter

Western Yellow-bellied Racer

Aquatic Garter Snake

Ring-necked Snake – The rings in this area are either pure northwestern rings or northwestern and coral-bellied intergrades

California Kingsnake

California Mountain Kingsnake

Striped Whipsnake – The striped whipsnakes in the Klamath Knot are very interesting. They spill over the Cascades through the gorge cut by the Klamath River and range into the Shasta and Rogue River valleys. The striped whipsnakes west of the Cascades look like a mix between normal phase striped whipsnakes to the east with body shape and pattern, and the California whipsnakes to the south with the yellow stripes.

This large whipsnake was found on the road as we were coming down from flipping in the mountain. As we approached the snake our hearts sank when we saw the snake squirming in the road. Once we got to the snake we figured out what the squirming and thrashing was about. Our whipsnake was caught in a climatic struggle with a large adult male southern alligator lizard. The snake had the lower jaw of the lizard while the lizard was chomping down hard on the top of the snake. When they realized all of us standing around them they both released and we got some pictures of the damage done to the whipsnake.

Other Herps:

Southern Alligator Lizard

Western Fence Lizard

Western Pond Turtle

Siskiyou Mountain Salamander – One of the endemic species to the Klamath and Siskiyou mountains

Black Salamander

Herpers:

Four Ninjas

Habitat:

Thanks for looking everyone!

Owen

Re: Klamath Knot Herping Through The Years

Post by Owen »

Great post of an area that really doesn't get posted much. I drove through last July, but did not have time to stop.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

So many awesome nights spent on that hillside, I really hope it's still there in the next few years, those mining companies seem pretty intent on stripping that hole mountain clean... Josh you are making me wanna get out and find something, but there's nothing here but salamanders... I wanna go to the tropics.
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

It is a shame that more people don't know or make it up that way. It is truly rugged country. You will have to stop and do some looking the next time you drive through the area. When it is slow at work my mind usually wanders back to that hillside Andy. I got the same fear and I hope that they stay on the side that they are on. The cold is making me wish for the tropics as well or at least not the NW.
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Great post!! Oreganus, Kingsnakes, and beer. Looks like a good time to me.
dwherp

Post by dwherp »

Thanks for posting Joshua, those photos are amazing! I'm moving to that area (just outside of Jacksonville) next September, and those pics have me even more excited to start herping southern Oregon/northern Cal.
dery

Post by dery »

id say alcohol and herping can turn dangerous. look what happened to one of your arms. :lol:
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

LOL Dery, that's merely from a 6'7" sasquatch of a kid that was clumbsy... That or he dove for a racer or whipsnake. I don't remember. It could have been from the time he rolled out of the tent and down the hill in his sleeping bag haha, that was from alcohol. we usually separate the beer from the rattlers, those things get feisty when they're drunk.
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

Thanks everyone :beer: I will always remember waking up that morning and trying to figure out where the hell Sean went and what the lump was doing at the bottom on the hill a good 75 feet away from the tent.

dwherp: Where are you moving from? When you get out that way there is a bunch of great spots that have public access, I can't wait to see what you find.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Great post. Love this pic, very rythmic!

...but Pabst? ..then wtf is Andy wearing a Guiness hat for? ...just a poser I reckon :lol: :beer:
Greg Huston

Post by Greg Huston »

Nice shots.

The next time you guys go herping in my backyard you should shoot me a PM. There are a few local herpers here, ya know. :beer:
dwherp

Post by dwherp »

I've been in NW Montana for the last 30 years. No where near the herp diversity that southern Oregon offers. Your photos have me pumped!
Joshua Wallace wrote:dwherp: Where are you moving from? When you get out that way there is a bunch of great spots that have public access, I can't wait to see what you find.
dery

Post by dery »

welcome to fhf dwherp. Have you joined the NAHerp database??
Can't wait to see your first topic.,
Samuel Dery.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

monklet wrote:
...but Pabst? ..then wtf is Andy wearing a Guinness hat for? ...just a poser I reckon :lol: :beer:
That was my primary and now my secondary herping hat, it has a bottle opener in the lid. I've never been much of a Guinness drinker, more of an IPA guy, but I am Irish, and Guinness is a cool "brand". And Pabst is kinda a northwesterner thing, it's a great cheap camping beer.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Andy, I'm elated that you gratified my joust :) ...as much as you find, I'd drink Pabst too if it would help :lol:
Chris Mac Donald

Post by Chris Mac Donald »

:beer: AHHHHH YES .... I think i recognize most of those lovely critters!!! Great job on the post Joshasaurus-Rex , brought me back to some fun days spent in those areas!! I misss em!
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

Monklet: That is my favorite picture that I have ever taken. Love the tongues on NORPACs

Greg: I will be sure to hit you up next time I am down that way. Have you had any luck with getula there in the Rogue?

Mack: We need to take a Spring trip down that way again for sure.
Ameron

Portland/Vancouver Greetings

Post by Ameron »

This was an *EXCEPTIONAL* post. Scenery, flow & apparent camaraderie make for a very enjoyable vicarious visit thru your photos & prose.

It's so exciting to see you younger Herpers continuing the Mission of preserving and enjoying the outdoors. Even more exciting to see the growing recreational trend of Herping versus Hunting. (The animals don't die during the encounter.) I'm 52, and I seldom found persons in my age group with an interest in reptiles & herping. My only other active herping buddy, a retired Traffic Engineer, is 65.

Herping in the Willamette Valley is limited to mostly Garter & Gopher snakes, with some Sharp Tails and Rubber Boas rarely seen by anyone. (I’ve lived here 22 years, actively hike & explore, and never saw one.) Same for the Northern Alligator Lizards. We mostly find only Northwestern salamanders in suburbs.

The Gorge is not much better, but at least you can find fairly common Southern Alligator Lizards, Racers and rarely seen or encountered CA Mountain Kingsnakes. (I’ve looked for them for years!)

I lived briefly in Medford in 2009. I loved to hike Denman Wildlife area, Little Butte Creek and the Table Rocks. Next time I'm in your area, I may try to contact you to say hello.

1.0 Pituophis catenifer catenifer (Willamette Valley dark phase)
1.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Abbott’s Okeetee influence/natural colors)