trans-Pecos Texas

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

sonora

trans-Pecos Texas

Post by sonora »

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some idea of what herping trans-Pecos Texas (Brewster, Jeff Davis, Presidio, Terrell, Val Verde counties) is like these days. It's been over 12 years since I've spent more than just a couple of days in the area, so I'm assuming it's quite different now. When I was there in 2000, the roads were traffic-less, herper-less, and law enforcement-less. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Steve
Mulebrother

Re: trans-Pecos Texas

Post by Mulebrother »

Get ready to duck….

Nah, just kidding…here is an out of stater’s perspective.
I’m guessin things have not changed THAT much. Still lots of empty highways, starry skies, and herps.
Went out there in May 2005. Bought the out of state license. Ran into a couple of herpers. Found tons of cool stuff. No run ins with LE. Period.

Went out there for Snakedays this past summer. Complied with laws (bought the out of state hunting license and wore a vest to shine cuts) for the most part (we still road cruised). Ran into LE a couple times. No problems.
River Road seemed to have the most LE presence. Some other herper got a ticket on river road the same night for pulling over and removing a DOR from the highway. Guess its just dependent on the LE’s (and your) attitude. I would for sure go…too many cool herps, not enough negatives to keep me away. But plan on running into the law while your there, its gonna happen…and by being compliant, (having the license/herp stamp, and a vest and a polite demeanor) you make us all look good.

Just my 10 cents.
sonora

Re: trans-Pecos Texas

Post by sonora »

Thanks for the response Mulebrother.