i love this quote

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

muskiemagnet

i love this quote

Post by muskiemagnet »

"I recollected that her eye excelled in brightness, that of any other animal, and that she has no eye-lids—She may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance.—She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage.—As if anxious to prevent all pretensions of quarreling with her, the weapons with which nature has furnished her, she conceals in the roof of her mouth, so that, to those who are unacquainted with her, she appears to be a most defenseless animal; and even when those weapons are shewn and extended for her defense, they appear weak and contemptible; but their wounds however small, are decisive and fatal:—Conscious of this, she never wounds till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of stepping on her.—Was I wrong, Sir, in thinking this a strong picture of the temper and conduct of America?"

-benjamin franklin

-ben
walk-about

Re: i love this quote

Post by walk-about »

Ben said. Beautiful and forceful in content, and to the point and beyond. Did he not have a hand in the first 'beer' brewing company in North America? I have loved many of his quotes and the movie 1776, is still one of my favorites. And I've always thought the timber rattler would make a better national emblem than either the eagle or wild turkey. Just my opinion.
Thanks for sharing this.

Rock ON!

Dave
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

i agree dave on the national emblem. oh yea, i really like beer too. wait, i'm from wisconsin, it's a prerequisite. :lol: :lol: :lol:

-ben
Andrew G

Post by Andrew G »

Not another timber thread... :lol: Great quote from a great early American, (and that's a pretty nice looking snake too)!
DracoRJC

Post by DracoRJC »

Agreed, should be the national animal, if only the tea party didn't kind of... ruin it :P
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I absolutely love that quote. I use it in a presentation I give to elementary kids.
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Agreed...awesome quote.

DDD