Corcovado in January

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Roki

Corcovado in January

Post by Roki »

Hi everyone,
You guys have quite the impressive website here. Last year I spent two weeks in the northern part of Costa Rica (Monteverde, Arenal, and Tamarindo) and was very surprised to find the country to be living up to it's reputation as a wildlifers dreamland. So, to the point, I am planning a trip to the Osa peninsula in Costa Rica this coming January and am looking for any advice on herping in the general area. I have looked at many of the previously posted discussions on the area and have seen that it is really a hit or miss kind of place. I have two weeks to be down there and have already planned one week around the Cabo Matapalo area. I am looking for any recommendations or advice for that area and what other areas to hit around the Golfo Dulce area or Drake Bay during the other week I will be down there. I have been debating on hitting the Piedras Blancas area as well. I am very willing and able to put forth some extra effort for anywhere that would potentially be worth it. Thanks and hope all of you are having a wonderful day. And of course, I will post a detailed log of my findings on here once I return.

Roki
Roki

Re: Corcovado in January

Post by Roki »

Some pictures from last January in Costa Rica.
Blue-jean Strawberry Poison Dart Frog (Oophaga pumilio)-Arenal

Emerald Basilisk (Basiliscus plumifrons)-Arenal

Yellow Phase Eyelash Pitviper (Bothriechis Schlegelii)-Arenal

Black Iguana, Black Ctenosaur (Ctenosaura similis)-Tamarindo

American Crocodile (Crocodylus acutus)-Tamarindo

Anole (Not sure what species)- Arenal

I hope you all enjoyed. This year I am looking to do far better.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Corocovado in January is great, but then that place is great at any time of year. Its the dry season in January so it can be harder to find herps. Still Corcovado National park just blows the rest of CR out of the water in terms of wildlife, hands down the best place to see the plentiful fauna. In Corcovado National Park, you can see all 4 CR monkey species in just a few hours with some luck, tapirs are easy to come by, macaws, silky anteaters and a variety of other tropical animals are all present and easily observed. I was there in January several years ago and it was unforgettable. As far as herps during that time of year, they're most definitely around and I would say the best way to find them is night hikes. Walking up stream beds at night may be productive but be careful with that the rocks can be ridiculously slippery and don't go on any sort of night hike alone for a variety of reasons. Hiking during the day tends to be unpredictable but has the potential to be productive, there were times where I hiked for hours and saw no snakes, another time I went out and saw 3 within 45 minutes so you can never tell. It was a little too dry for frogs and while I did come across some dart frogs it was uncommon probably due to the lack of rain, however I saw a fair amount of gladiator tree frogs and a few other species out at night.

Besides that if I were to go down to the area again, I would be sure to target the Golfo Dulce Poison-Dart Frog, its endemic to the golfo dulce area in CR. However I have no advice on how to find it, due to time constraints I made a very half hearted attempt at it last time and struck out.

You'll have a good time down there, I recommend planning on spending a significant amount of time within Corocovado National Park.
Roki

Post by Roki »

Thanks Antonsrkn, I am looking forward to it. I will have far fewer people in tow this time around and am looking to get my boots dirty alot more than last time. Thanks again for the heads up on the poison dart species.

Roki
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

I did Corcovado in March, and it was great, but not as much for herps (only two snakes in the 3 days). Wildlife in general was awesome. Saw a tapir with calf, and even a Hemeroplanes ornatus catepillar (Google it, crazy cool).
KEAC

Post by KEAC »

Roki,
I have been to CR a few times and have a good place to stay off the Dulce. I haven't been in January, but PM me and we can talk more. Watch the water down there...my last trip was painful and cost me a couple days of herping. :shock:
Darin