? about HUGE KILLER SNAPPER...HELP NEEDED

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Dave S

? about HUGE KILLER SNAPPER...HELP NEEDED

Post by Dave S »

I need a bit of advice. I have a VERY LARGE snapping turtle that has somehow gotten into my parents pond with their Fancy Ducks and Geese. The pond is about 3/4 of an acre and ranges from 5-12ft deep. It has a 3ft high fence that goes all the way around the pond. We are not sure how the snapper got there but since it's 1st sighting 3 weeks ago it has killed 2 ducks and a goose leaving them without their legs and heads. It is BIG, it's head looks like a coconut sticking out of the water. I have a bunch of less aggressive turtles and a bunch of large Oscars and other large tropical fish in there as well. I'd like to know how to catch the snapper before it does anymore damage. I'm open to all suggestions. I do not want to get in the water and I would like to capture it without hurting it. I was thinking a hop trap but I'm not sure where to get one or if it would be cost effective. I might be able to build a trap if someone could send me plans.....????

Thanks for any info in advance......
Dave S.
Daryl Eby

Re: ? about HUGE KILLER SNAPPER...HELP NEEDED

Post by Daryl Eby »

That does sound like a very serious problem. A massive native turtle certainly does not belong in a fenced pond full of non-native fish and foul.

My suggestion: Remove the fence. Remove the non-native fish. Feed the non-native foul to the turtle. Problem solved.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

You could probably build a hoop trap more cheaply than you could buy a pre-made one, depending on the time you wish to invest. Still might be the best way to go (hoop trap), plus then you'd have the trap available for any subsequent "occupy fish pond" participants.

Any gaps in the fence? What's its construction? I think I've heard that snappers can climb fairly well; I've heard of other species climbing chain-link fence.

I'm jealous of the 3/4-acre pond! I would've stocked it with native, catchable, edible fish, but that's neither here nore there at this point. I guess you could eat the snapping turtle. :)
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Turtles love bacon.
Shane_TX

Post by Shane_TX »

I have a bunch of less aggressive turtles and a bunch of large Oscars and other large tropical fish in there as well.
What kinds of fish and turtles? Just curious since most of them are probably already naturalized in FL.

Shane
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Kudos to you, Dave S., for wanting to remove the snapper without hurting it. There are 3 adult snappers that live in the creek behind our house, and we love watching them. However, I can certainly understand that it is upsetting to have a turtle deteriorating your ducks (I am a poultry lover, too. Condolences on your ducks).
I hope somebody can give you an idea that works out so that you and the turtle both have good outcomes.
Good luck!
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

You could always call the turtle man. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tamara D. McConnell

No, no, no...a thousand times NO! Anything but that!
Joshua Jones

Post by Joshua Jones »

Oh, come on....."LIVE ACTION!!!" :lol:

That dude's a putz.

Dave, I think a rectangular net w/ a solid frame, mounted on a pair of skids (to keep it upright) could be an option. (Someone mentioned a hoop trap, but I'm not sure if this idea is the same :? ) I've heard of people who drag them through stock tanks out here, in order to catch sallies.

The best option, though, IMHO, is the one set forth by Daryl. :lol:
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Dave S wrote:It has a 3ft high fence that goes all the way around the pond. We are not sure how the snapper got there
This is how.

You can relocate it, but more will come.
Tamara D. McConnell

That was pretty cool. I would not have imagined snappers would attempt a fence like that. It must have wanted to get to the pond pretty badly. I kept hoping the people were going to help it on over. An impressive degree of effort like the turtle demonstrated should be rewarded, in my opinion.
Shane_TX

Post by Shane_TX »

Snapper breaching a chain-link. Pretty cool.

However, I am still impressed by a hatchling box turtle climbing and scaling the nearly vertical wall of styrofoam cooler. I was ignorant to the fact that all claws can climb; the turtle unbothered itself from the planned photo session.

Shane
mywan

Post by mywan »

My main suggestion was mooted when you said you didn't want to get in the water. Snappers will embed themselves in the mud or leaf litter on the bottom and dangle their tongue out as a fishing lure to catch fish. Makes them fairly easy to spot while snorkeling if you know what to look for. Snappers are quiet easy to catch, if your willing to get wet. Otherwise your best bet is probably the hoop trap already mentioned. I have attracted snappers, and lots of other turtles, by simply throwing bread crumbs to fish. Reptilist also mentioned bacon, but any smelly meat will draw turtles from a significant distance in a matter of minutes. If you can get it to come close enough to your bait a standard fishing net might be plenty to dip it out.
roosters977

Post by roosters977 »

I agree with the bacon luring it in and just grabbing it. I go into my local pond in the summer to catch a few for pictures every once in a while. But it is only a foot to two feet deep. I just look for the top of there shell. Just be easy on their tail, if you pull to hard it can cause serious damage.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

mywan wrote:My main suggestion was mooted when you said you didn't want to get in the water. Snappers will embed themselves in the mud or leaf litter on the bottom and dangle their tongue out as a fishing lure to catch fish. .
Only Alligator Snappers (M. temminckii) do this. I'm pretty sure we are talking about a common snapper here. A hoop trap would work, but depending on where you relocate it, the turtle would probably come back.
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Thanks for the info guys. I've managed to put all the Ducks and Geese into a safe house for a few days giving me a chance to capture the turtle before he eats any more. Who knows what he has done to my fish at this point. I found a few plans on the WEB for building a hoop trap and have started construction, with any luck I will post a photo of the monster in a few days.

Daryl: Considering the pond was dug when the house was built and the fence was put up shortly after. I would think that the builder actually created somewhat of a new water habitat for animals and not taken away much from the native flora and fauna. He could have just bulldozed the area and left a field like most of the other houses in the area. We are just selective as to what native animals can visit it. The Snapper Turtle has plenty of other canals and ponds near by that he can live in. Plus ever year they get migratory birds that stop by for a visit.

Shane-TX: Most of the turtles in the pond are stuff my parents find in their pool or from off the roads, mainly Mud Turtles, Sliders and Cooters. No Snappers or Soft Shells have ever been put in there to our knowledge. As for fish there are Oscars, tons of Channel Cats, Blue Cats a Big SA Redtail Cat and a few Pacu. They get fed well so they don't bother each other or anything for that matter. Almost all the Oscars were caught around the area as well as the Pacu.

Joshua Jones: HELL NO!!!!

Thanks Again,
Dave S.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

The snapper is there because of the easy meals. As long as those waterfowl and slow fish are there, the snappers will be attracted.
joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen »

Perhaps ask the local herp club? I know I'd love the chance to snorkel that pond, and would probably come up with the snapper after a few attempts.

Ian