(Re)Discovered - a real live Lanthanotus!!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jimoo742

Re: (Re)Discovered - a real live Lanthanotus!!

Post by jimoo742 »

woah, cool
justinm

Post by justinm »

Wow, Thanks for the update on this Hans! What a spectacular finding.
gbin

Post by gbin »

Very cool, indeed!

Gerry
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

What a beast - looks unlike any other herp - almost like a reptilian version of a huge flat worm!

You now know what YOU have to do Hans. NO PREEEASSSUREEEEEE :!: :!:

:thumb:
moloch

Post by moloch »

You now know what YOU have to do Hans. NO PREEEASSSUREEEEEE

I completely agree with David. It will be great to see your photos of this strange beast. I hope the wait is not too long!

Regards,
David
venomdoc

Post by venomdoc »

What is the first thing that happens when a new reptile is described or a new locality shown for a very rare reptile? Two Germans buy a plane ticket ;)
Shane_TX

Post by Shane_TX »

Neat.

The oil palm comment in the abstract is unclear to me. I assume it means that the creature was found in a relatively natural area that is slated for monoculture. My initial thought while scanning was that it was found within already disturbed areas, but the picture doesn't suggest that to me.

Only 7.8 inches on average, interesting. My photo-related perception was always of something about the size of a gila.....nope, smaller than a big tiger salamander.

Thanks for posting and good luck, Hans!

Shane
justinm

Post by justinm »

venomdoc wrote:What is the first thing that happens when a new reptile is described or a new locality shown for a very rare reptile? Two Germans buy a plane ticket ;)
Be careful it's become bad form to talk about this. The Europeans think the Americans are xenophobic jerks if you mention this kind of thing.
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

I've never even heard of this. Pretty interesting rediscovery. Borneo seems to be harboring lots of new species.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

venomdoc wrote:What is the first thing that happens when a new reptile is described or a new locality shown for a very rare reptile? Two Germans buy a plane ticket ;)
Not this time, Hans is already there!
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

awesome!

Habitat development - not so much :(

-Mike
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

justinm wrote:
Be careful it's become bad form to talk about this. The Europeans think the Americans are xenophobic jerks if you mention this kind of thing.
As much as many Americans like to think it, Europe is not a country. He's talking about GERMANS only, and he's right. At the risk of repeating myself, I've seen it happen in the reptile scene as well as in the pitcher plant scene. If any other non-German Europeans take offense, they probably can't read.

Harrrumph.

By the way, are you all aware that this animal is probably the link between snakes and lizards?
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

By the way, are you all aware that this animal is probably the link between snakes and lizards?
Sort of. The most recent genetic evidence suggests that its placement in the Varanoids is no closer to snakes than Varanids or Helodermatids, despite some its morphological similarities.
Peter Engelen

Post by Peter Engelen »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:
justinm wrote:
As much as many Americans like to think it, Europe is not a country. He's talking about GERMANS only, and he's right. At the risk of repeating myself, I've seen it happen in the reptile scene as well as in the pitcher plant scene. If any other non-German Europeans take offense, they probably can't read.

Harrrumph.

Strange, that German-thing.
:lol:
When we were in Arizona the first question was always: Are you guys herping? The second question was: Are you GERMANS???? with a little bit of "Oh no" in their voice. When we told them we were Belgians, suddenly everything was OK and we could talk about herping. But when I see this animal I really want to buy an airplainticket, maybe in Germany :) (= cheaper) and come to Borneo. Also for those nice Pitvipers you showed on other posts Hans.
Nir

Post by Nir »

Hans, you have a mission! We need better pictures to fully enjoy the weirdness of this animal! So cool!!
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Nir wrote:Hans, you have a mission! We need better pictures to fully enjoy the weirdness of this animal!
You have no idea how many people have been needling me about this since the publication of that text. "Snakes, schmakes...why don't you concentrate on the streamside instead of your silly roadcruising?!" etc...My only claim to fame in that regard so far is that one of my Faceook friends (not even a RL friend) found a Lanthanotus two years ago in Bintulu, upstate Sarawak.
scott s

Post by scott s »

rsmith

Post by rsmith »

This is so cool! My friends and I were just at the Anaheim show and were talking to a guy from Japan who said he went looking for these in caves because he didn't/couldn't find any undisturbed habitat.