Snake Road Help...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Andy Avram

Snake Road Help...

Post by Andy Avram »

So I wasn't really planning on returning to Snake Road but David O wanted to give it a go so I agreed. Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't allow for us to be there on the big weekend, so our trip will be September 27-30. The end days will mostly be travel.

I would like to focus on a few species that I haven't seen while we are out that way. We would be willing to travel a little away from SR to see some of these species and are coming from NW Ohio, so en route spots work too. Any help on some spots would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me, or David.

Mud Turtle
Ornate Box Turtle (north of Snake Road, maybe en route)
Mississippi Map Turtle
False Map Turtle
Ouachita Map Turtle
Smooth Softshell
Slender Glass Lizard (north of Snake Road, unlikely?)
Kirtland's Snake (en route)
Mud Snake
Scarlet Snake
Mole Salamander (high priority)
Bird-voiced Treefrog
Illinois Chorus Frog
Eastern Narrow-mouthed Toad
Crawfish Frog

Also, is anyone going to be there that weekend?

Thanks,
Andy

ps - David, feel free to add your wishlist to this post!
justinm

Re: Snake Road Help...

Post by justinm »

Andy,

I'll email you later tonight to see what help I can offer to get most off your list. It's too bad I can't be your guide again this time. You did pretty well if I remember right.

If anyone is giving any spots please make sure that it's your spot, or one that you have permission to give out. Things are getting messed up at some of the known sites.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Thanks Justin, I was hoping you would chime in, and sorry I couldn't be down there when you could. We found a lot of great stuff a few years ago!

Andy
MichaelCravens

Post by MichaelCravens »

Andy,

I wish you were going to make it for the big weekend. I can likely help out with some of those, if you want to give me a call. That would be a lot of typing.

Michael Cravens
314-401-5651
justinm

Post by justinm »

Slacker, I did a lot of typing.
kayfabe

Post by kayfabe »

From what I understand there will be a pretty good group there on Friday and Saturday, plus Friday they are calling for rain and mid 70's...pretty good forecast for a few of those species. I just turned a Narrow-mouth on Sunday at a spot in MO and have saw a few fresh mud turtle shells at the road (raccoon food) last weekend.