Knoxville TN

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jeffreyrichard

Knoxville TN

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

Hi folks ... I posted on the SE Chapter but thought I'd ask here too... I may have an opportunity to visit Knoxville this Autumn. I was curious about:
- what can be found within 1-2 hours of Knoxville ... snakes and turtles (any Corn, King, Pine, Copperheads, Crotes?)
- up to what dates (historically) can I expect to find herps active?

Many thanks
knox

Re: Knoxville TN

Post by knox »

Just so happens, I live in Knoxville :mrgreen:

The Smoky Mtns are the world capital for Salamanders. They are about 25 - 35 mins from downtown K-ville, depending on traffic.

Most of what I see around here are Black Rats (out the wazoo!), Black Kings, Black Racers, Dekay's, and Garters. We only have 2 species of venomous here - Timber Rattlers and Copperheads. I personally have never seen either - you have to be up in the mountains or out in the boonies to find them. Yeah, I know, not very scientific nomenclature, but that's me.

Keep in mind that 1-2 hours from Knoxville will include Chattanooga to the south, Crossville to the west, Johnson city to the North, and North Carolina to the east. Once you pass over the Appalachian Mtns to the east, you will run into Eastern Kings.

I see snakes from about May through September, with the odd Garter out toward the end of Sept.

Hope this helps...
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

knox wrote:Just so happens, I live in Knoxville :mrgreen:

The Smoky Mtns are the world capital for Salamanders. They are about 25 - 35 mins from downtown K-ville, depending on traffic.

Most of what I see around here are Black Rats (out the wazoo!), Black Kings, Black Racers, Dekay's, and Garters. We only have 2 species of venomous here - Timber Rattlers and Copperheads. I personally have never seen either - you have to be up in the mountains or out in the boonies to find them. Yeah, I know, not very scientific nomenclature, but that's me.

Keep in mind that 1-2 hours from Knoxville will include Chattanooga to the south, Crossville to the west, Johnson city to the North, and North Carolina to the east. Once you pass over the Appalachian Mtns to the east, you will run into Eastern Kings.

I see snakes from about May through September, with the odd Garter out toward the end of Sept.

Hope this helps...
Good stuff ... how late into Sept is the "usual" snake season? ... planning purposes ...

How about turtles? literature states maps and softshells have ranges in the area ... ?

Again, thanks
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

knox

Post by knox »

As long as Sept. hasn't had any cold snaps, I have seen them out as late as mid Sept, but not much after that. I would guess the shorter days trigger going into hibernation spots as much as temperature - but that is just off the top of my head.

Turtles, taken from the National Park Service / Smoky Mtn. website http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/reptiles.htm :

Chelydra serpentina—Snapping turtle
Chrysemys picta picta—Eastern painted turtle
Graptemys geographica—Common map turtle
Terrapene carolina carolina —Eastern box turtle
Sternotherus minor peltifer—Stripeneck musk turtle
Apalone spinifera spinifera—Eastern spiny softshell
Sternotheros odoratus—Stinkpot
Trachymys scripta troostiii—Cumberland slider
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

How about turtles? literature states maps and softshells have ranges in the area ... ?
There are spiny softshells throughout the Tennessee river system. Fairly abundant in some areas, but you'll be hard-pressed to actually catch one in a large river without trapping, and trapping might not be effective that time of year.

In addition to Knox's list, I've also trapped the following within an hour of knoxville:

Ouachita map turtles
River cooters
Mud turtles (very patchily distributed)
knox

Post by knox »

Coluber Constrictor wrote:May to Sept.? :shock: Wow, that is a short season. I knew it was cooler up in the mountains, but damn :lol:
They may be out as early as april, but i see them mostly from may to sept. Keep in mind that i am not an avid flipper so others might have different experiences if they are out doing intensive searching.