2012 Monsoon Outing

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Biker Dave

2012 Monsoon Outing

Post by Biker Dave »

OK folks...

Who is interested in ATTENDING a Monsoon Outing this year? I don't want to do a whole bunch of planning if only two people show up.

I'm thinking August 17-19. Somewhere in S/SE Arizona.

Dave
ratsnakehaven

Re: 2012 Monsoon Outing

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Dave, I'm supoosed to get back from MI about August 9th. I'm hoping to spend much time in Cochise and other counties after that. Pick a date and I'll probably be around.

PS: I'm of the theory we just say what we'll be doing on certain weekends and let others know that they can join us. Does it have to be an official trip?

Terry :crazyeyes:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Unofficial if no one shows up!
craigb

Post by craigb »

ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Keep in touch, Craig, so we can hook up... TC 8-)
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Every year I say I'm gonna try to get out there... this year I actually MIGHT... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

I'll be in the area the 15th thru the 19th.
I'm tentatively planning on spending the first couple of days around the Portal area, conditions permitting.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Well so far we have more out of state interest than locals.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

You should lobby for the National Meet, next year... EVERYBODY will come... :shock: :lol: :lol: :D jim
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Steve Bledsoe wrote:I'll be in the area the 15th thru the 19th.
I'm tentatively planning on spending the first couple of days around the Portal area, conditions permitting.
Steve, I'll try to be in the area that week. I should have some dates this weekend for times to be in Cochise Co.
robert

Post by robert »

Dave:

Add another Arizona "Wannabe" to the list of attendees. I will be in AZ from Aug 10-20, and in the Tucson area from about 13-20. Will spend the first few days in the Congress and Organ Pipe areas.

Hope to see everyone soon.

Robert
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

robert wrote:Dave:

Add another Arizona "Wannabe" to the list of attendees. I will be in AZ from Aug 10-20, and in the Tucson area from about 13-20. Will spend the first few days in the Congress and Organ Pipe areas.

Robert
If Nicholas gets a Gila before me... I'll murderize youse guys... gnuk, gnuk, gnuk... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Jim

Why not come out and get one for yourself! We saw one or two Heloderma on last monsoon trip...

Robert

We'll be happy to have you with us again!

Dave
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I hope too...but I may be in Nor Cal around that same time.... trying to finesse my sched. for both trips... I have to say though... A Gila would make my year... :D jim
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

ratsnakehaven wrote:Steve, I'll try to be in the area that week. I should have some dates this weekend for times to be in Cochise Co.
Thanks Terry, that sounds great.
My plan is to try to be there in the Portal area before sundown on Wednesday the 15th.

Keep in touch.
Steve
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Robert
Robert,
Be warned about Organ Pipe. If the weather is right, it's crawling with snakes, but also crawling with Border Patrol. I was there with my grandsons two years ago and we got tailed and pulled over by Border Patrol 10 times on the same evening, and we were working the northern part of the park, not anywhere near the border. Mainly because of the Border Patrol vehicle traffic itself, 90% of what we found was DOR - very depressing. You may have some luck on the few dirt roads, but most of the roads in the southern part of the park are closed, or at least they were when I was there last. It's a sad situation.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Anyone interested in adding in a tour of the Chiricahua Desert Museum into the weekend? Maybe on Friday afternoon?
robert

Post by robert »

Steve:

Thanks for the warning. I will probably stick to the loop road on the east side of the park. I got a new 800 lumen flashlight and hope to hike more than road riding. I am desperate to find a rosy boa and/or a Sonoran Shovel nosed and I picked Organ pipe as my 'best shot' for a single night on the western side of the state before I come to the Tucson area.

Yes, I have been stopped many times by the border patrol, including some humorous stories. I was a guard's first stop on his first day, and he was very disappointed when I turned out to be a US citizen. But then he said he knew that someone with a bright headlamp was unlikely to be crossing illegally.

I guess it is something I am willing to put up with--It gives me a (false) sense of security. As someone from the East, it is really strange for the to think that other people could be a threat as walking around a wild ecosystem. So I always stop and chat the the local border patrol (let them know what I am doing). You never know when you need help or good will.

I hope to meet you on the outing.

Robert
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Steve Bledsoe wrote:
ratsnakehaven wrote:Steve, I'll try to be in the area that week. I should have some dates this weekend for times to be in Cochise Co.
Thanks Terry, that sounds great.
My plan is to try to be there in the Portal area before sundown on Wednesday the 15th.

Keep in touch.
Steve
Looks like my buddy, Eddie Sanchez, is coming in from MI for awhile with his son, and we'll be in the Chiris from the 16th to the 19th. Hope to see you there, Steve. My cell is 520/390-6997.

PS: I'll be in MI from 7/25 to 8/8 without a computer, but will have my cell.

Terry :beer:
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Thanks Terry. I'll be in touch.

Dave - I plan to visit the museum but I'll probably be there on Thursday afternoon, and headed back to the Tucson area by Friday to meet up with friends.

Robert - I usually go out of my way to meet and talk to the Border Patrol also. Most every one of them I've met have been decent folks. I don't evny them with what they do on a daily basis. The funny and, at the same time, irritating part of my 10-stop evening at Organ Pipe was that I got stopped twice by the same officer, even after having a long conversation with him the first time. It got to the point of being ridiculous.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

hellihooks wrote:

Robert
If Nicholas gets a Gila before me... I'll murderize youse guys... gnuk, gnuk, gnuk... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
Different Robert, Jim ;) (<> RobertH)
Tonia Graves

Post by Tonia Graves »

Depending where you guys will be Saturday nite and/or Sunday I may try to meet up with you. I get off work at 0600 Saturday morning so a lot depends on distance and motivation!
-Tonia
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
hellihooks wrote:

Robert
Different Robert, Jim ;) (<> RobertH)
don't try to confuse me with 'facts'... :crazyeyes: Boy... am I embarrassed... :roll: My apologies to both Roberts... :D jim
I guess riding to AZ together is out... DOH! thanks Jer, for keeping me from further embarrassment ... :beer:
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

I will probably be there too but a week ahead or so.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Thats too bad for Steve and Jim....
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

So would anyone like to go to the Chiricahua Desert Museum on Friday afternoon? I need actual yes and no votes to decide if we should do this or not.

Proposed schedule:

Friday Aug 17
afternoon - Chricahua Desert Museum
evening - road cruise the area near Rodeo, NM and Portal, AZ.

Saturday Aug 18
morning - start herping the Chiri's for ? and depending on how weather and other conditions
cooperate, etc we can either stay put or move to another area...

night - road cruise the west side of the Chiris?

Sunday Aug 19
morning - go look for Hognose snakes, and/or box turtles?
afternoon - I have to leave so you would be on your own unless the group decides on
somewhere else.

If no one wants to do the museum than we can...

Saturday
morning - meet somewhere in Willcox then head out to search for Hoggies and boxies
followed by an afternoon at the San Pedro Riparian Area (think frogs, toads,
lizards,etc).

night - road cruise Huachucas

Sunday
morning - head out to Ruby and look for Oxys.

Trying to do something different than previous years...to keep things fresh for those who come for repeat visits.

Those are my suggestions... if anyone wants to do something different...speak now or forever hold it.

Dave
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Eddie and I will arrive Thurs. evening and overnight at the Portal Lodge. Some of our target spots we can't reveal, but will road cruise Thurs. night and Friday morning and try to meet with everyone from NAFHA. Friday afternoon...mtns (been to museum many times). Friday evening....road cruise. Same thing Sat. and Sun. A lot depends on weather conditions. If good for amphibians, we do amphibs. If good for reptiles, we look for reptiles. Will be in Green Valley Mon and Tues. Our goal is to record as much diversity as possible and try to fill out our lifer lists.

* Most every find will be recorded in the NAFHA database. Very sensitive finds will not be revealed to public (use tool at bottom of data entry page to hide entry). I will only be collecting photos, unless an its an unprotected DOR for a scientific study or university collection.

* If anyone has questions or a possible collectable speciman, you can call or email me. My contact info is at my website.

TC 8-)
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Hearing no one complaining or voting or showing too much interest ....

This Official event is CANCELLED.

If anyone shows up at the museum on Friday afternoon great! If not look for me at the Portal lodge on Friday night or Saturday morning for breakfast!

This is no longer a NAFHA sanctioned event.

Dave Weber
President AZ Chapter
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Ill be out there for a few days too. Kinda have everything planned out of where I will be, but we might want to exchange #'s in case.

Good luck gentlemen
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Dave, I'll probably see ya sometime Friday around Portal. We've got rooms and will eat dinner there.

TC
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I'll be looking for ya!
craigb

Post by craigb »

Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

OK everyone ... I could use a heads up on who I need to be looking for this weekend!

Please add your name to the list if you are DEFINITELY coming out....

1. Dave
2. Terry +1
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

We should move this to the following weekend, cause I will be there then... :lol: 8-)
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Yeah, but it's raining this weekend...LOL.

Maybe I'll see ya there next weekend anyway.... :P TC
robert

Post by robert »

All:

Sorry to see that the trip is cancelled (or at least that is the way I am reading it). I am here from Boston and hoped to make it part of my trip. I am having a great trip and been seeing lots of herps. More notable are my first speckled rattlesnake (a red beauty) and my first Lyre snake (I am from Boston and have low standards?).

I will be in the Tucson area through Sunday. So, if you are willing to spend some time in the field with an 'out of towner' send me a PM.

Robert
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

The trip isnt cancelled (as in not happening) it is just no longer an official NAFHA sanctioned event.

Dave
craigb

Post by craigb »

Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Sorry I'm not there guys! I had some last minute crap come up that kept from getting down there.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I'm back. Hope everything is ok, Dave.

Eddie, his son, Matt, and I kept pretty busy while we were there. It rained three out of the four days, but that was obviously good, because everyone said they'd been very hot and dry for a couple of weeks. I talked to several herpers, none of which were actually from AZ, that said things had been very slow with the dryness. Of course, when it rains the snakes aren't very active. We did have success with lizards, amphibians, and turtles, but missed many of the targets we wanted to see, especially Eddie's mountain king. What we did see though was very, ok, with me, and included a couple lifer lizards, a snake, and a toad, and many old favorites. I'll make a post with pics one of these weeks when things wind down and I can find enough computer time.

BTW, our computer has been down since I got home. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because we just didn't have any internet service. More later, I'm sure....

Terry :beer:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I'm glad it worked out for everyone. Sorry to hear it was a bit of a wash out though.

Dave
craigb

Post by craigb »

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I had a blast. I saw about 20 species. It was perfect conditions. It was nice to meet Chuey, Nikko, Broken-toe Joe, Madame Gisela, and all the other non-herpers who stopped to see if i was OK when I was taking pics of toads. :lol:
craigb

Post by craigb »