So far in SoCal - 2012

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kent VanSooy

So far in SoCal - 2012

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Rather than just barf up a bunch of pictures like I’ve done in the past, this year I’ll provide a little (hopefully entertaining) commentary and context. I’ll start out by cheating, and begin not with Jan 1st, but Dec 31st 2011. A group of us die-hard boa guys held a friendly competition to find a) the first boa of the day, and b) the last snake of the year. As we headed toward the hill in the picture below, my buddy Bill found a horseshoe – a lucky one, perhaps?
Here’s Jeff’s oldest son Matty with that first boa of the day.
We made sure we found the horseshoe on the way back – since Bill had been the one to find the boa, the moment clearly had to be recorded for posterity.
We had enough time for one final hill, and I was lucky enough to find one final boa for 2011, at 3:17 pm on New Year’s eve.
Later that same weekend we found a collection of somewhat unusual SoCal herps – first, a black-headed snake.
Next, a CA legless lizard
And now, a San Diego banded gecko. This subspecies (abbotti) is smaller than its desert cousins, and retains a banded pattern throughout life. This particular animal was found about 10 miles from the coast.
We count on the seasonal winter rains in SoCal to bring out the herps, but by the middle of January it remained really dry. We reasoned we could visit a couple places and at least see some snakes snoozing the winter away. A gaggle of kids would make the day fun, no matter what.
Even if it’s dry (or hot, cold, humid, radioactive, whatever) there’s always plenty of helleri around, and we quickly located one to show our charges.
This young man has it together!
We took a pleasant stroll to a rocky outcrop near the coast….
….and found some red diamonds engaging in typical January behavior.
One final spot yielded the last of the three species of coastal SoCal rattlesnakes – Speckled rattlers.
A trip inland awhile later yielded a pretty striped kingsnake. Ones farther from the coast tend to have cleaner patterns.
I’m not sure what to call this pattern, other than fantastic! This is one of the nicest kings I’ve ever seen in the wild.
We’ve learned to watch where we put our feet when walking around the outcrops.
Did I mention earlier that we’re die-hard boa guys? It was still dry, but the season was going by, so we had to give it a try. Bill found this boa with monofilament fishing line wrapped in a knot around its body. Obviously we can’t be sure, but we think someone saw the snake in a crack, and tried to unsuccessfully remove it using a lizard noose.
This isn’t how we envisioned the use of our first-aid supplies, but we put them to use after carefully removing the monofilament.
Perhaps karma was now on our side, as we succeeded in locating a couple more of these wonderful serpents.
Finally some real rain had arrived, and it was time for a full day’s venture. I had been busy with GoogleEarth, and mapped out some new spots to try. We arrived early, and hiked several miles out while the weather warmed, with the plan of herping our way back to the truck. In fairly short order I found this lovely ruber under a rock.
Soon Bill found a beautiful male rosy boa.
Then he found a kingsnake.
Then he found another boa.
Then he found another kingsnake.
He then came frightfully close to being found by a helleri, and called me over so I could get a picture (it’s that whole posterity thing again).
He then found yet another boa (and in between that, another kingsnake or two).
Me, I hadn’t found ANYTHING since that first red diamond, and that was six hours ago at this point. I try to respond to a lack of success by looking harder, but this was starting to get ridiculous.
We had one more outcrop to try, and after turning about a bazillion wrong rocks that day, boy did I find the right one, with THREE adult rosys underneath, more than I had ever seen under any rock. Nothing like a triple in the bottom of the ninth!
If it was dry in SoCal, it was worse in Arizona. We grew up in the surf culture of SoCal, and understand the concept of keeping haoles off our breaks. But it’s altogether too easy to extend that to herping, and we’re just not going to roll that way, so we were pleased to welcome the ‘zonies to our hood. These gentlemen have brought in-situ photography to a high art. While I still love making Grismerian imagery, taking photos without ever touching the animals is a refined, artful way of herping, comparable I think to fly fishing in its grace and style.
Here’s the AZ gang, photographing from a distance a pair of helleri.
In-situ photography means you need really nice lenses (at least that’s what I’m going to tell my wife when I drain the bank account to buy one).
Even though my current lens doesn’t quite add up (yes I have lens envy), I was inspired to try my hand at this unique herping style. Here’s just the tail end of a helleri as it slowly slides away….
…followed by a subadult red diamond snuggled into his lair…
….and lastly a speckled rattlesnake. It felt good not disturbing the animals, and the chances of finding them again in exactly the same spots are much improved.
This is what a boa nut wants to see!
Rome wasn’t built in a day, so an in-scene shot was still in order.
This lovely kingsnake was a nice addition to the day’s finds.
Now, who did this?!? Children at play, indeed.
I described on our previous venture how Bill had found snakes everywhere, and my luck had been limited. Today the opposite was true - we had herped even harder than (about 8 hours worth), and Bill was still striking out. The light was beginning to fade, and the temperature was dropping, but we stubbornly put on long-sleeve shirts and hustled up to one last outcrop. There, illuminated in the final shafts of daylight, I watched Bill find this beautiful boa under his zillionth rock of the day.
More exploration in the next few weeks led to more of the usual suspects. While there’s a definite pleasure in returning to a familiar area, finding herps somewhere new is always a blast.
What’s hanging out of that crack? Time to use my new in-situ techniques!
Although Bill doesn’t know it yet, there’s a boa under that white piece to the right.

Now he knows it!
A little wrestling match with a mildly-venomous serpent is always good healthy fun.
Just love ‘em.
The AZ boys were in town again, and we were joined by the Lemms for a day in the field in coastal San Diego. Here Jeff and Matty are contemplating their next move.
We get nutty about boas because of the tremendous pattern and color variation they show throughout their range. Just in San Diego County alone they can look remarkably different, depending on where they’re found.
Here’s Jeff with an adult whipsnake.
And here’s a headshot of the other species of racer in San Diego, the coachwhip.
Helleri, always helleri.
Since we were with the AZ boys again, I was motivated (aka shamed) to try more in-situ shots.
Another weekend arrived, along with another contigent of AZ folks. The party started with a red bang.
I’ve seen my share of striped kings and don’t get that excited about them these days, which makes it fun to see a herper thrilled to find one.
Soon I heard the visiting group excitedly pursuing something in the grass – maybe a racer?
Well, not quite, but once again they were quite pleased to find an animal (Baja California treefrog) they usually don’t see. They probably find it odd when I travel to AZ and lose my mind over blacktail rattlers.
Of course we needed a pair of Southern Pacific Rattlers to round out the day (and these gentlemen actually appreciated the foul creatures).
Bill and I had the chance to conduct an educational herp walk with a hiking group. While Bill held the group’s attention, I snuck around a corner and planted a captive kingsnake on the trail.
After a couple of “Really! That was just crawling there right now??” comments, I owned up to the deception.
Bill ran up to an outcrop while I held the group’s attention, and soon was holding aloft a snake. I thought that was a better ruse than mine, but it turned out he had actually just found a little banded king, and a few rocks later, a little striped king as well.
Later that day we joined a group of wandering herpers from four different states. Somebody had the bright idea to take a group portrait by setting up their camera in the back of my truck, and soon more cameras followed suit.
Here’s my camera’s image of the group.
We FINALLY had experienced a decent amount of rain in SoCal, and it was actually lush and green.
Once again, it was a pleasure seeing folks absolutely thrilled with the find of a striped kingsnake.
We also found what we call locally a “blue-eyed blonde” banded king – the colors are lighter than typical, and the eyes really are blue.
While the rain is a good thing, it can make finding boards challenging.
Boardline herping in coastal San Diego is always a pleasure, and it would be a shame not to squeeze in a quick trip here and there.
Around here, herping often means lots of hiking, and we’ll frequently pound out an hour or more on the trail before beginning to look.
Ah, but all that walking is worthwhile
These next couple speckled rattlers were gently moved into place for their portraits…
….while this red diamond was photographed exactly as seen.
I LOVE longnose snakes, and the turn of a large rock yielded this beautiful individual.
Seeing as how I’d have to pick up the snake before putting the rock back down to avoid injuring it, temporarily posing the gorgeous creature for an in-scene shot didn’t seem too rude.
After my, uh, “incident” with the helleri in 2010 I’ve tried to keep a greater situational awareness while herping. But I was so excited by the longnose and focused on making a good image, I didn’t even notice we had company until I stood up to take the longnose back to his rock. D’oh !
The last find of the day was a lifer for all of us – a Baja Coachwhip. They’re common in Mexico, but have an extremely limited range in SoCal.
As the spring wore on, the desert beckoned.
My wife and I explored a new area for us, which was higher in elevation and supported pinyon pines and blackbush. She asked me if tortoises might be found there. I wasn’t sure, but soon enough the answer was apparent.
On a little trip to Louisiana for my cousin’s wedding, we spied something we had NEVER seen locally. What the hell ?!?
I think this is a slider of some sort (if anyone can correct me, please do so!).
This for sure was the biggest herp of the year so far.
Like the AZ guys getting excited by a chorus frog, I was really jazzed to see these guys hanging around. They have quite a bit of personality.
A ground skink I believe, followed by a five-line skink.
OK, back to SoCal, so time to put on your sunglasses.
This crap is so irritating – it’s not necessary, horribly unsightly, and makes herpers looks like jerks (which some clearly are).
As of last month I’m now officially a senior citizen – if I can put back your $#&^%(# rocks, so can you!!
OK, rant over, and time to cruise the desert and the rocky foothills.
Bill’s daughter enjoys going with us on occasion, and doesn’t mind hamming it up for the camera.
As we headed out to the desert through an Indian Reservation one evening, we spied a boa on the side of the road, stopped in time to save it from getting squished, and snapped a couple pictures.
While we were photographing the snake, a group of obviously drunk women drove past in a pickup truck, and yelled “Get the hell off the reservation, John Smith!” ????? So we spent the rest of the evening trying to figure that one out (and of course calling each other John Smith).
Here’s John Smith releasing said boa (vehicle driven by J. Smith, photography by John S.).
The Smiths found some creatures in the desert that night.
On the way home (thankfully nowhere near the Reservation), we got to witness something we rarely see – natural ophidian predation – when we found a coastal glossy snake consuming a pocket gopher.

Back to the rocky foothills….
Just a couple weeks ago I found something which is a bit of a rarity around here – a Coastal Patchnose snake. The lateral stripes are much darker than those of the subspecies which lives in the desert.
It’s becoming dry and hot now. I tried to compensate by going to higher elevations, but had no success. But I ain’t complaining! It’s been another fun season, made better by our visitors from out-of-state.
Those of you who’ve read my posts in the past may recall that for my wife’s sake I’m compelled to conclude my saga with pictures of happy cows (even funny looking ones). So, here you go dear, and to the rest of you, Happy Trails!
tspuckler

Re: So far in SoCal - 2012

Post by tspuckler »

I dig that Glossy snake feeding sequence. I also like seeing all those Rosy Boas. And I think Lyre Snakes are fast becoming my favorite snakes in the US of A.

Very nice!

Tim
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Great post Kent! It was nice meeting you and all of the SD people I met. Of course, I love all the crote shots but especially the speck shots! Thanks for sharing - makes me want to get back over there...but the monsoons will be keeping me busy
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Excellent year so far. I need to get down to SoCal again some time and see some boas and kings, and hopefully some lifers as there is a big list down there for this out of towner. Thanks for sharing Kent.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Outstanding...I feel guilty for spending too many days at home, waiting for ideal weather, and it is obvious that you are finding'em by getting out there. The first cleanly striped chocolate brown with white king is impressive, and I have never found a coastal glossy, so that blew me away, and feeding is so amazing, that was a big item. What are the chances? Good things come to those that go... Coastal patch nosed, outstanding Z, you really shot some nice ones and make it look easy. But I know you have years of experience and it shows...and the coastal specks were cool too.

wonderful post, I really enjoyed it. Vic
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Great work sir!!! The glossy sequence is superb! You got a bunch of great shots in there too. Let's do it all over again next time around!
Zach Cava

Post by Zach Cava »

beautiful photos! nice job helping out that rosy. the series of shots of the glossy eating the gopher was great, I especially like the one that captured an insect mid-flight.
Matt Arnold

Post by Matt Arnold »

Posts like these really make me wanna go out west... so much gold in here :thumb: ! Thanks for posting!
Brandon D

Post by Brandon D »

epic post, awesome is all I can say, if only you found an L.t.amaura while in La. thos boas are breath taking, I liked seeing those more than the zonata and Im a lampro head. Makes me want to visit that part of the country, which unfortunatly for you this post will probably have that effect on a lot of people, that's why I only post half the good stuff I find lol just joking

:beer:

Brandon DeCavele
Crazins

Post by Crazins »

Wow dude, I just got on the forum for the first time in months to see this post, and all i can say is: Way to make me miss So Cal!

Hope you're doing well,
-M
Brendan Murray

Post by Brendan Murray »

Wow! I can see why you guys love rosys so much. Great post and thanks for sharing!
justinm

Post by justinm »

There are so many great things worth a comment here, I can't say enough. Kind of hit me off guard to see some friendly faces in your portraits too! I have to say that the pic that just grabbed me and pulled me in, more than any other was the Gopher Tortoise portrait. If that was my shot it would hang large and proud in my snake room.

You're having a great year! Keep up the good work.
Sean

Post by Sean »

ErikNM

Post by ErikNM »

Wow man! Awesome! And thanks again for helping me find some cool stuff while I was there...awesome pics Kent!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Nice camera work Kent. Good to see some smiling herper faces out in your backyard.
Thanks for amusing us while we were there with the hands off approach on the buzztails. I think the more you try it the more you'll like it. :beer:
Will Wells

Post by Will Wells »

Very cool photos and comentary! I really dig the in situ pics, keep them coming.
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Tim, it's easy to fall in love with boas and lyres (since if you find one you'll probably be finding the others). We weren't sure if that glossy could get the gopher down, but once he was past the shoulders, the rest was easy!

Norman, it was a pleasure meeting you too. For some reason I had you in mind while I was photographing those specks.... ;)

Andy, thanks! With all the habitat diversity in SoCal, there's a stunning amount of variety.

Vic, you know the old saying - if I've learned one thing, it's that I don't know much. Sometimes we'll have made a plan to hit the field, and will go even if the conditions are what we'd consider lousy. It's been interesting - we've found snakes actively crawling in the cold rain, and so cold under the rocks where they couldn't even flick their tongues. Thanks my friend!

Jeff (aka Waldo) - I agree, lets!

Thanks Zach - the bugs were gathering a bit as we photographing the glossy, and I was surprised to see that one caught in the frame. It was also nice photographing a snake that wasn't going to dash off at any second.

Matt, indeed - it's like by buddy Bill says - "I can't tell you where to look - they're where you find them - they're like gold!"

Thanks Brandon. I saw three snakes in LA, and couldn't catch any of them - they zipped away into cover I wasn't sure I should dive into.

Marisa, that was a great day we shared near the border, and that Baja Coachwhip was for sure one of the year's highlights. Glad we had the chance to do some herping!

Brendan, thanks! Rosys are like the ocean - they'll just seep into your soul.

Justin, the desert tortoises around here are getting harder and harder to find, and it's always a treat to see one (even though I was a little bummed about all that green plant schmutz on his face).

Thanks Sean!

Erik, any good word on photography coming from you is flattering - thanks so much. I certainly enjoy your work (if you can call it work!). That was a fun day we had.

Brendan, I think you're right about the hand-off approach. One of the intriguing aspects of herping I think is the way it slowly changes for an individual throughout the years, with one's companions, target animals, and techniques. And now I get to go lens shopping :D

Thanks Will, I believe I'm beginning a journey down the in-situ path (but there may a Grisermian detour or two).
Nir

Post by Nir »

This post only makes me wonder even more why I live so far north..... If only... hehe

Loved the glossy sequence!!
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Thanks a million Kent,

Loved the photos and narrative. I'm an Easterner but I've been lucky enough to herp SoCal more than a few times. The post brought back memories...like my 1st helleri in 1977...ruber...etc. I've never seen a live, wild rosy...one of my regrets...but I still love to see other herpers and their finds. I never tire of the scenery. Ayt my age I've progressed to a more "hands-off" approach out of growing repect for the animals (and ...honestly...increased awareness of the risk involved with any hot). I'm ashamed to say that I "caught" hundreds of hots (hooked, pinned, and grasped behind the head) before my selfishness/ignorance began to dissipate with age. At any rate, thanks a lot for the post.
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

That was a great post. Definitely enjoyed, and know how much hard work it took.

-Jake
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Thanks Nir! SoCal is great (if you can ignore the traffic and high cost of living).

Dave, there does seem to be a relationship between the aging of herpers and not feeling the need to grab or manipulate whatever is seen (but then again, some of the AZ guys who have elevated this to an art form aren't exactly senior citizens). I think it's comparable to the older angler being more amenable to catch-and-release fishing - there's a greater appreciation of the beauty of the animal in its environment (or maybe it's just less hormones coursing through our old veins!).

Jake, thanks - the "epic" posts do take some effort, but it's also a fun way of reliving the year (and realizing that my wife wasn't lying when she says I spend LOTS of time herping).
MichaelCravens

Post by MichaelCravens »

Fantastic post! Nice to see some familiar faces in there too. I took my first southern California trip this past June and fell in love with the place. Already planning a return trip in the spring, and maybe this winter depending on how bad the cabin fervor gets.

Michael Cravens
Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother »

Where is the "like" button?
Andrew G

Post by Andrew G »

Wow, that was a spectacular post! My favorite was the really red ruber! Also liked the striped kings, and all the different rattlesnakes. Thanks for sharing your awesome finds!

Andrew
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Thanks Michael - I saw your post on the CA forum, you definitely had a good trip for relatively late in the year - congrats!

Mulebrother - :thumb:

Andrew, some of the ruber can be really pretty (and some say helleri can be pretty too, but there's no accounting for taste... ;) )
ramblon

Post by ramblon »

Beautiful series sir! You guys sure do have a lot of successful outings...

From an observers perspective; the glossy/K rat series was incredible!

From a photographers perspective; the late day bill boa find sums up the hard work/reward aspect of field herping.

Well done :beer:
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Ramblon KL - I think you know how much I admire your work, so good words from you truly mean a lot. And I'm pleased you found the portrait of Mr. Board attractive, since I think that's my favorite image from the year. It's not the best technical image by any stretch; instead I was trying to capture the feeling of success at the very end of a long day - glad it came through! Thanks.
Matt Cage

Post by Matt Cage »

Kent,

Wow, an incredible post. I especially liked the Arizona feeding sequence. Incredible stuff! Thanks for posting!

Matt
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Yeah Kent,
You really Klaubered it this year... :roll: :crazyeyes: :lol: You don't want to know how long I've been waiting for a chance to use that... :lol: :lol: :beer: jim
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

oh, man....I love SoCal, and it was great to meet you and Bill and other local paragons of field herping. I can't wait to go back!

Wonderful series - the glossy feeding sequence is amazing.

-Mike
todd battey

Post by todd battey »

Great post, Kent, but now everyone's going to want to come to SoCal. Wait a minute, the season is over. Time to go to AZ. ;)
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Thanks Matt - it was pretty late at night when we first found the glossy and pocket gopher, and it looked like it would take FOREVER for the dining to be complete, but it ended up being about 30 minutes.

Jim (aka Sir Circumference) - thanks for that piece of pi.

Mike, it was great meeting you as well! I'm glad we had luck in finding some of our characteristic SoCal denizens - those were a memorable couple of days.

Todd, that's the 'ol SoCal summer solstice guideline in action. Now, it's time to go fishin' !
Texas Gus

Post by Texas Gus »

Excellent in every possible way.. Good on you!
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Sweet stuff as always Kent. It was good to see you this spring.
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Gus, many thanks!

Tim, it was truly a pleasure meeting you, and I hope your efforts with NAFHA work out well.