Education in action

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kent VanSooy

Education in action

Post by Kent VanSooy »

A church group is preparing for its annual camping trip in the mountains of SD county, and they're (rightly) concerned about the dangers posed by rattlesnakes, so Bill and I put together a little educational presentation. We started by telling them that snakes are a wonderful part of nature that can and should be appreciated. I then presented a slide show on rattlesnakes. We left them on a positive note by giving them a chance to hold some captives.

We continue to think that this kind of education can make a difference in the way snakes are perceived - hopefully a life-time difference.

The audience was engagaed....

What's in this bag?

Ah ha!

Of course we made a shameless NAFHA plug.

This was the first time some of these young people had ever held a snake - we think they'll take away good memories.

hellihooks

Re: Education in action

Post by hellihooks »

Yeah Buddy! You and Bill (and Steve) rock for doing these types of Ed talks year after year. I've often said that EVERY member should try to give one herp talk a year...
Who's gonna step up and say "I will do one?"
Speaking of which... Josh's Annual Grassy Hollow Herp talk is Sat, 22nd in Wrightwood (San Gabes) Come hear the talk, and spend the rest of the day herping the Gabes. Sounds good to me... :crazyeyes: :D jim
ramblon

Post by ramblon »

I do a lot of these for work with explorer groups and such and they really do make a difference. Especially having live animals, seems to engage the kids more than talk and photos, getting them to share encounters of their own, many of which where I work (Long Beach) have never been on a camping trip let alone seen a snake in a natural setting...

Cool stuff Kent and Billiam

:beer:
BlackPearl

Post by BlackPearl »

Bill and Kent,

Thanks so much for stepping in and doing this. It meant a lot to my sister-in-law and the kids.

John
billboard

Post by billboard »

Thanks for the opportunity Yani. Thanks again to you Kent for helping out on such short notice.
Ryan Sikola

Post by Ryan Sikola »

Don't direct them to the california chapter they might find out where we are looking and go herping there! They might collect a lifer!!!!!

Just kidding this post was awesome, but that boa is fugly!
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

What's in this bag?" Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell... :lol: Sorry, but that guy just looks like him.
Speckled Rosy

Post by Speckled Rosy »

Thanks for that analogy Brian..

Good going guys.. Looks like the snakes were a hit!
yolodave

Post by yolodave »

Great stuff! Thanks for getting the word out and creating a new perspective for these young people.
reako45

Post by reako45 »

Wow! Really cool, guys. Opportunities to educate folks about our passion and the herp world around them is one of the privileges and benefits of this hobby. It's awesome that you guys get to do this.

reako45
monklet

Post by monklet »

Way to go guys. Foreach of those kids, there's probably at least two more that will learn from them. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: 8-) 8-) 8-)
billboard

Post by billboard »

The camera and lighting do no justice to that boa . It has a copper stripe in a light grey- blue background. It is from a town called Valley Center. You could look for years and you would never find one.
socalherper

Post by socalherper »

That was awesome ! Very cool Bill and Kent !