2nd Attempt @ Cali lutosus

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mattlesnake King

2nd Attempt @ Cali lutosus

Post by Mattlesnake King »

Some of you may recall me taking a trip (and panhandling for info) out to eastern central California in search of Great Basin Rattlesnakes. It was in September of 2010. As predicted we had some halfway decent boulder walking weather and we searched hard for lutosus and headed into the White Mountains for Panamints. We found only a coachwhip and a gopher snake. It was getting to cool for most forms of cruising. I'm flying back out again to visit a friend in Oakland and we are going to head south and east again to give it another try. Any tips for the Lake Mono area or Owen's valley area would be appreciated. If anyone can meet up we will likely be camping from the 16th of July to the 21st somewhere in that general area. Would love to swap stories with some of you guys.

Thanks,
Matt K

PS. One for the road. From this spring in GA.
Rothdigga

Re: 2nd Attempt @ Cali lutosus

Post by Rothdigga »

Matt,
I think I'm going to be on a fishing trip up in that general area at the same time as you guys. I was hoping also to try to find some snakes as well. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell so that we can link up if it all works out.
Jason
fangmaster

Post by fangmaster »

Hi Matt, I will give you one helpful tip: stay away from the owens valley and south of mono lake, lutosis don't range there. go north of Bodie, I'm planning a trip up there in around 3 weeks, I have a spot that I find them at.
sauceman

Post by sauceman »

I have yet to find a California lutosus so I can't help. I have had quite a bit of success with that species in Nevada though. I will be interested in seeing how it works out for you, this was something I was considering targeting myself and I figured that anything north and east of Mono Lake should start being in the range.