Please foster a young mind!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

withalligators

Please foster a young mind!

Post by withalligators »

Hey guys and gals,
I'm mostly active in the NE chapter, though I have poked around in your neck of the woods quite a bit before I knew about the website. My reason for posting is this: the 12 year old daughter of a good friend of mine from college is a budding naturalist with a predilection for reptiles and insects (buggies, as we referred to them when she was a wee button). They live in Austin. Her mother, Mariah, wants to foster this passion, but her daughter, Cezanne, is quickly outpacing her ability to answer questions. We have talked about her tagging along on chapter or local trips to learn from you wonderful folks and they are very enthusiastic. Of course, one or both of the parents would be present for everything.

Here is your chance to really help out a young kid with a great heart and fresh young mind. You can help instill the ethics, methodology, etc. to make her a better scientist. To me, this is very exciting. I wish there was something like this around when I was a kid. I had to figure everything out from my observations and my peterson pocket field guide. The idea of her learning how to take the proper info and pictures and having her own records in the database is marvelous.

Anyways, please discuss, what do you all think of this? Can we think of anything we don't like that warrants further consideration? Barring any real issues anyone can come up with, I'll have the mom introduce herself and get the ball rolling.

Cheers,
Alex
neasttx

Re: Please foster a young mind!

Post by neasttx »

i live in paris texas, i know that is a long way from austin but if ever this way would be more than happy to help out, just know you have a friend this way, i am on facebook joshhessjoshhess, hmu!
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

I'm not sure how many Austin residents frequent our chapter board here, but I'd recommend having your friend get in touch with the Austin Herp Society. They've got a great group of herpers and I'm sure would be happy to help mentor a young herper.

http://www.austinherpsociety.org/

Chris
withalligators

Post by withalligators »

Thanks guys, I've turned her onto this thread, so she's going to take it from here. Hopefully they find some stuff and start posting!

Cheers
Alex