Major personal goal achieved

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joe Farah

Major personal goal achieved

Post by Joe Farah »

I finally found a snake in a tire.

This was in the morning so i'm thinking he may have spent the night in there and was getting warmed up for the day when we found him and rolled him down a hill
TravisK

Re: Major personal goal achieved

Post by TravisK »

You had me at "found a snake in a tire", but lost me at "rolled him down a hill".
:?:
Joe Farah

Post by Joe Farah »

TravisK wrote:You had me at "found a snake in a tire", but lost me at "rolled him down a hill".
So you're going to sit there with a straight face and try to tell me that if you found a coachwhip like this and there was a hill right there, you wouldn't tip the tire up on its side and roll it down the hill with the snake inside?
RobK

Post by RobK »

Insane! I never find anything under, on, around, or on top of tires. I always think, "Don't flip it, nothing will be under it", but I flip it anyway.

Travis? You've never rolled a snake in a tire? Must be a Colorado thing.
Joe Farah

Post by Joe Farah »

RobK wrote:...
Travis? You've never rolled a snake in a tire? Must be a Colorado thing.
Looks like he's from washington... I get the feeling those guys really don't have their act together out there. I'll bet they don't even have a points system worked out for running over stuff while road cruising
justinm

Post by justinm »

Joe there are people that would pay a lot of money for a nice looking Coachwhip. Did the urge to improve yourself financially lose out to something so fun?
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

LOL you guys are a trip!

I've never had the opportunity because as you mentioned, finding herps in tires is rare. I have rolled a tire down a hill that had 3 black widows in it though!

As for the road cruising, no we are behind the times and are in the group that still try to not hit the herps. I do have a point system for birds in flight vs. on the ground, mice, rabbits, stray cats, and old people in the road.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

It's not just a CO thing. I do it here in South FL too, but the ground is so flat, they don't go very far.

Nice job, Joe...I've yet to find one under a tire (that didn't have a rim still attached.)

Tim
rosy-man

Post by rosy-man »

lol ive found quite a few helleri,s under tires never tried the hill thing though lol
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

I found a garter under a tire, garter snake that is, not the other type of garter.

Josh
Joe Farah

Post by Joe Farah »

Justin, i did indeed sacrifice a payout for that experience. Some things are just such a regional tradition that you have to participate... like how you guys in Illinois all get together and do that annual springtime amphibian eggmass "snowball" fight

Andy, this is a perfect example of how the internet is strengthening the hobby as a whole - through the exchange of techniques and ideas

Tim, thats a pretty funny thing to imagine, you rolling a tire across flat sandy ground in the 100 degree heat... with it going so slow that when the snake gets to the top of the loop it drops falls down into the bottom of the tire... and continues like that over and over

Jesus people i found it IN the tire... not under
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

Great photo! I'm still yet to find a snake in a tire .. only under tires with rims.
Joe Farah

Post by Joe Farah »

For the record, i appreciate your stories about finding snakes under tires, but that's different and it's something that happens literally every second of every day. Right now as i'm typing this there is a 12 year old kid somewhere flipping over a tire and seeing a snake underneath... likewise, while you're reading this, there's some 47 year old guy out there flipping a tire and looking at a snake underneath. It's like if i made a post and said i finally found a milksnake sunning ON TOP of a rock and you guys came on here and starting telling me about all the times you found milk snakes UNDER rocks. That's great and i love to hear your stories, but that's really not what we're talking about here, so stop taking my thread off on wild tangents just because you want to share your personal experiences with everybody.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I've never seen a snake in a tire.
In fact, that coachwhip doesn't really look tired at all so I'm calling it PS!
justinm

Post by justinm »

Joe Farah wrote:For the record, i appreciate your stories about finding snakes under tires, but that's different and it's something that happens literally every second of every day. Right now as i'm typing this there is a 12 year old kid somewhere flipping over a tire and seeing a snake underneath... likewise, while you're reading this, there's some 47 year old guy out there flipping a tire and looking at a snake underneath. It's like if i made a post and said i finally found a milksnake sunning ON TOP of a rock and you guys came on here and starting telling me about all the times you found milk snakes UNDER rocks. That's great and i love to hear your stories, but that's really not what we're talking about here, so stop taking my thread off on wild tangents just because you want to share your personal experiences with everybody.

Hey Joe this one time at Band Camp...
RobK

Post by RobK »

TravisK wrote:You had me at "found a snake in a tire", but lost me at "rolled him down a hill".
Here's a quick 10 sec vid of rare snake rolling footage. I think we had probably 15 snakes in this barrel that Joe is rolling.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Rob,

That video is a ripoff. The majority of points given are for dismount.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Really? I find multiple coachwhips in Wintermark Steel Radials each year. It's the only brand they'll ride! The trick is finding wild Wintermark tires...they're "rare" :thumb:
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Joe Farah wrote:we found him and rolled him down a hill
Finally, documented proof of a real-life hoop snake.

Sort of.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

lol That's funny seeing him stick his head out of the tire like that. That's a really nice looking Coachwhip too. :thumb:
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

I've found snakes spending the winter in old discarded tires.

Nice to know you're setting the bar high for yourself, Joe. What is your next personal goal? Or do you lay everything else to rest now that you got this one?
Phil Peak

Post by Phil Peak »

Congratulations! I always get a kick out of finding snakes in out of the way places. Here's a couple of copperheads that were getting cozy inside an old tire.

Phil
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

His next goal is to find a snake under a pair of pants in CA.
ugh

Post by ugh »

This thread's hysterical
BUT I'm still trying to figure out whether he's just talkin' shit about rolling the snake down the hill..........or is really the most immature dick on the planet :lol:
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Awesome looking coachwhip!

I agree, BIG difference finding one inside rather than under!

Gary
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Bullfrog wrote:Really? I find multiple coachwhips in Wintermark Steel Radials each year. It's the only brand they'll ride! The trick is finding wild Wintermark tires...they're "rare" :thumb:
Have to agree 100% on the above info, as I too find more than a few in/under this particular brand of AC. And if that's not enough, it's even more difficult finding this tire brand here in Oz, let alone that particular snake species. But to cut to the chase, how can we be sure that snake is not UNDER the tire, as opposed to INSIDE it?! As well known as Mr. Farah's serious reputation is, I just might have to call BS on this one... :D :beer:
Sean

Post by Sean »

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Gosh Dang It! I've chased plenty of lizards round and round and round and round (you get the idea :roll: ) inside tires, but you've actually got me sitting here wondering why I've never rolled a snake down a hill, in a tire. :shock: Might be time to pour the rest of this pot of coffee out... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

I found a hideous King in a tire once. Yep, rolled it.
It (tire) was on the near side of a fairly shallow (but steep) ditch that had a few inches of water at the bottom. I gave it a pretty good shove and when the tire hit the opposite bank, it flew backwards and then up into the air. It was cold out that morning, the snake was only loosely coiled in it and went flying one direction and the tire went the other. It was the funniest freaking thing I saw all day! :lol: :thumb: :beer:

Tim
ugh

Post by ugh »

okay, the second most :lol:
RobK

Post by RobK »

Tim Borski wrote:I found a hideous King in a tire once. Yep, rolled it.
It (tire) was on the near side of a fairly shallow (but steep) ditch that had a few inches of water at the bottom. I gave it a pretty good shove and when the tire hit the opposite bank, it flew backwards and then up into the air. It was cold out that morning, the snake was only loosely coiled in it and went flying one direction and the tire went the other. It was the funniest freaking thing I saw all day! :lol: :thumb: :beer:Tim
You need to come out to Colorado. YeHAw!
neherper

Post by neherper »

I frequently find fox snakes, plains and red sided garters and northern prairie skinks under and in a pile of tires on my dads property in Nebraska. So I suppose finding reptiles in and under and around tires is nothing rare to me. Nice coachwhip though!
RobK

Post by RobK »

neherper wrote:I frequently find fox snakes, plains and red sided garters and northern prairie skinks under and in a pile of tires on my dads property in Nebraska. So I suppose finding reptiles in and under and around tires is nothing rare to me. Nice coachwhip though!
Ahh...Danielson, this is good, very good. But can you roll the snakes down the hill? Help you, I can.
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

That's exactly how I smuggle snakes into the US. Back to the drawing table.