My first couple of months living in herp paradise, SE Qld

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

TNWJackson

My first couple of months living in herp paradise, SE Qld

Post by TNWJackson »

I've been wanting to make this post for some time but have been far too busy with work. I'm no less busy now, but I figured I better get it out of the way so I could concentrate more effectively on work (that's my excuse to myself anyway).

A little over two months ago I moved to a place I've been visiting for the purposes of reptile hunting for over 10 years. The place in question is a mountain on the outskirts of Brisbane, Southeast Queensland, Australia. People say it's not like "the good old days" up here and that reptile numbers are down. I admit to not having experienced one of the 30+ snake nights that people claim used to be fairly common occurrences up here....but I still think the herping is pretty good. On top of that, the bird watching opportunities are wonderful, there are all sorts of cool inverts and mammals around, and there's more forest (of just about every kind you get in this region) than you can poke a stick at. Regardless of whether or not the herping today can compare to the herping of yesteryear, I'm rather glad I made the move up here - all these photos were taken without about 20km (12 miles) of my house.

There are still a few things I haven't seen since moving here and a whole bunch of common things I've seen but not yet photographed (eg. almost all the skinks!).

The following photos are posted in no particular order. I have plenty more to post and will do a follow up in this thread at some point in the not too distant future - until then, enjoy (hopefully)!

Southern spotted velvet gecko - Oedura tryoni. I have a whole bunch of these lovely geckos living on my house.

Decisions decisions......he wisely decided not to attack this large Cerambycid beetle

Eastern carpet python - Morelia spilota mcdowelli. Probably one of the two most common snake species up here.

Bandy bandy - Vermicella annulata.

Litoria wilcoxii

Eulamprus martini

Gnarly old common scaly foot - Pygopus lepidopodus

Pink-tongued skink - Cyclodomorphus gerrardii

Red-eyed tree frog - Litoria chloris

Cerambycid beetle

Anomalopus verreauxii

The gatekeeper - Varanus varius (lace monitor)

You shall not pass!

Shrooms

My local pest control service - Oedura tryoni

Hmmm.....what's this?

Common death adder - Acanthophis antarcticus

Mountain brush-tailed possum - Trichosurus caninus

Common tree snake - Dendrelaphis punctulatus

Golden-crowned snake Cacophis squamulosus

Dainty tree frog - Litoria gracilenta

Morelia spilota mcdowelli - how I find most of these guys

Green tree frog - Litoria caerulea

Eastern small-eyed snake - Cryptophis nigrescens. Probably the other most common species of snake up here.

Great barred frog - Mixophyes fasciolatus

Cyclodomorphus gerrardii

Monster female adder - Acanthophis antarcticus

Funnel-web spider - Hadronyche infensa

Vermicella annulata

Rambutan mushroom

I saw this carpet python in the same spot on two occasions a fortnight apart, I've since been back and he's moved on. He looked very old and very decrepit but I like to think he snagged himself a nice juicy pademelon and slithered off to spend a month digesting it.

Rough-scaled snake - Tropidechis carinatus

Emerald-spotted tree frog - Litoria peronii

Black-bellied swamp snake - Hemiaspis signata

Voyeurism - Litoria gracilenta

Crimson rosella (Platycercus elegans) and king parrots (Alisterus scapularis)

Yellow-faced whip snake - Demansia psammophis

Another carpet

Cacophis squamulosus

Eastern dwarf green tree frog - Litoria fallax

Huntsman spider - Typostola barbata

Litoria chloris

Another adder

Dr. Dark

Re: My first couple of months living in herp paradise, SE Ql

Post by Dr. Dark »

Wow...lots of great stuff! SO jealous! That second Adder is gorgeous!
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Great post! You're lucky to have such an awesome variety at your disposal.
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

Yay, the post happened! Great shots, Tim!
SnakeDude

Post by SnakeDude »

I like the gecko eating the moth or whatever it is :shock:
-Ian
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Thanks guys! Definitely feeling lucky to be living here.

Yes Dave, I finally got around to it....and I haven't forgotten you either (see below).

A few more piccies:

Tusked frog - Adelotus brevis

White-crowned snake - Cacophis harrietae

Mountain katydid - Acripeza reticulata

Stop the presses, I photographed a little brown skink. - Saproscincus rosei

Freshwater snake - Tropidonophis mairii

Only the brave go herping around here - forum member crocdoc's ankle after I took him for a walk...there are more than a few leeches around after a little rain.

I've seen a few of these newly-hatched carpet pythons - Morelia spilota mcdowelli

I've seen a few adders too - Acanthophis antarcticus

Burton's legless lizard - Lialis burtonis

Yes, I like these - Litoria gracilenta

Huntsman spider - Heteropoda isopoda

A very bad photo of a very cool skink (yes, cool skinks DO exist!). This is the far less common of the two Bellatorias skinks up here, I'm yet to photograph any major skinks (Bellatorias frerei). Land mullet - Bellatorias major

Shy scaly foot - Pygopus lepidopodus

Female rhinoceros beetle - Xylotrupes ulysses

Striped marsh frog - Limnodynastes peronii

There are some huge blind snakes up here, this Ramphotyphlops ligatus was a good 50cm long. They suck to photograph though.

Uperoleia fusca (?)

Brown tree snake - Boiga irregularis. I had much better photos of another individual but my memory card decided to delete them.

Mixophyes fasciolatus

Foraging lace monitor - Varanus varius

TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Coluber Constrictor wrote:Man, Australia has some weird stuff. Love the Bandy-bandies!
I love them too, they're common but I never tire of them and their ludicrous defensive displays.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

moloch

Post by moloch »

Wow, so many good finds and photos, Tim. Looks like you are having a terrific time up there.

The rambutan fungus was certainly odd. Also loved the katydid. I've seen those or a related species in the Warrumbungles and they are really stunning.

Regards,
David
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Thanks David, I wanted to get a photo of the katydid on the ground but by the time I got my camera out she had stopped displaying.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Nothing short of amazing. You're so lucky to be able to up and move to a herp paradise.
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:Nothing short of amazing. You're so lucky to be able to up and move to a herp paradise.

I'm going to assume you're being intentionally ironic :lol:
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Uh, no. You are lucky, are you not?
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Nice work Tim, great and sharp photos of wonderful animals...I am especially impressed with the common tree snake, a species I don't recall seeing posted before, stunning colors. Also the Burton's legless lizards, a very bizarre species that would be my no. 1 goal to see if/when I visit down there.

Thanks for posting, we really enjoy these shoots down under...

Vic
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:Uh, no. You are lucky, are you not?
Haha I'm very lucky. People might say that you have also recently moved to a herp paradise though ;)

Thanks Vic, I'm a big fan of Burton's legless lizards too, they are a unique and exceptionally variable species.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

TNWJackson wrote:People might say that you have also recently moved to a herp paradise though
True. But it's not a 30-snakes-a-night-paradise. I went road cruising with Jason Luke and his herping party last night on my favorite road, in perfect weather (rainrainrain) and found two frogs and a DOR Boiga....
Kevin Messenger

Post by Kevin Messenger »

man..... I gotta come visit you sometime..... my trip to Australia was completely unfair....
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

To be fair Hans I've not broken double figures in snakes on a single night since moving here...the potential is there but everything has to fall into place for one of those magical (or maybe that's "mythical") nights to occur.

You definitely should come visit Kevin, you're welcome any time but you should plan it around the best herping season (which varies depending on where you want to go and what you want to see).
Azemiops

Post by Azemiops »

Fantastic post Tim, I'm incredibly jealous of all those adders you've been finding! Perfect excuse to head back over to Brisbane sometime though.
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Azemiops wrote:Fantastic post Tim, I'm incredibly jealous of all those adders you've been finding! Perfect excuse to head back over to Brisbane sometime though.
I suspect the main problem is that you did too much herping with Jonno - the adders hear him coming a mile off.

Are you in Australia permanently now?
Azemiops

Post by Azemiops »

TNWJackson wrote:
Azemiops wrote:Fantastic post Tim, I'm incredibly jealous of all those adders you've been finding! Perfect excuse to head back over to Brisbane sometime though.
I suspect the main problem is that you did too much herping with Jonno - the adders hear him coming a mile off.

Are you in Australia permanently now?
Ha, its not the case of them hearing him coming a mile off, its more the case of him driving past them at 300km an hour whilst 'road-cruising'!

Sadly we aren't here permanently, our visa finished in July. But will be back over next year for sure ;)
MaartenSFS

Post by MaartenSFS »

Stunning.. the only problem is that I'm not there. It certainly is a paradise. Love the invertebrate shots as well. There are more than just herps out there. Keep up the good work. ;)
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Azemiops wrote: Ha, its not the case of them hearing him coming a mile off, its more the case of him driving past them at 300km an hour whilst 'road-cruising'!
Haha very true! I was overtaken by some fools driving at similar speeds last night....a few kms down the road I found a fat female adder split in half by one of their tyres :(

Thanks Maarten - definitely agree there's more to life (and nature) than herps. When I get a decent macro lens I'll spend a lot more time photographing inverts I'm sure.
Serpentes

Post by Serpentes »

Nice pics Tim. You've certainly been rewarded for putting in the long hours.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

I love the bandy bandy!

What's the deal with the body arching? I'm not well versed in the behavior of snakes outside of North America (ie: Texas), but I think it's neat seeing all these shots of body arching with them.
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

It's presumed to be a form of threat display. They seem more inclined (Macdonald, pers. comm. and personal experience) to do it when caught out in the open than when they see the option to flee (when they may rely on the "flicker fusion" effect caused by their striking bands). To be honest I can't imagine anything being all that intimidated by this display but maybe it's just so weird that potential predators are confused by it. They are actually an elapid with venom that is loaded with neurotoxins but, like some similarly banded, fossorial and ophiophagus elapids from other parts of the world, they seem disinclined to bite defensively (unless you really piss them off - Macdonald, pers. comm.).
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

TNWJackson wrote:It's presumed to be a form of threat display. They seem more inclined (Macdonald, pers. comm. and personal experience) to do it when caught out in the open than when they see the option to flee (when they may rely on the "flicker fusion" effect caused by their striking bands). To be honest I can't imagine anything being all that intimidated by this display but maybe it's just so weird that potential predators are confused by it. They are actually an elapid with venom that is loaded with neurotoxins but, like some similarly banded, fossorial and ophiophagus elapids from other parts of the world, they seem disinclined to bite defensively (unless you really piss them off - Macdonald, pers. comm.).
Thanks for the information. I'd be interested to see what effects it has on predators, or if it is done for a single predator it encounters regularly, though I don't imagine any studies have been done on that. The only article I see that may have reference to it is on the body bridging done Crotalids in response to kingsnakes. (Burghardt and Weldon, The Ophiage Defense Response in Crotaline Snakes: Extension to New Taxa. 1979). I haven't pulled it up in JStore yet to read it though.

Kyle
Joe Farah

Post by Joe Farah »

Too awesome for words. I'm halfway to obsessed with carpet pythons and i loved seeing these. Looks like you're livin the dream
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Great post! Why do you think herp numbers are down where you are?
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Thanks guys!

I'm not aware of any work having been done on the efficacy (or otherwise) of the bandy bandy defensive display. Interesting that you reference "ophiophage defence" in crotalids - in the bandy bandy's world it is the ophiophage (its diet largely consists of blind snakes but it will also eat burrowing skinks and pygopodids) rather than the ophiophagee (yes, I just made that word up).

Kfen, to be honest I'm not sure herp numbers ARE down. I am always skeptical of people claiming knowledge of population trends based on what animals they see crossing roads. There could be a lot of reasons less animals are being seen on roads, only one of which is population decline.

Regardless, some have suggested it's poaching, but I consider that highly unlikely. I doubt the ability of poachers to affect the populations of reptiles in a 1000 ha. National Park with one little road running through the middle of it (although admittedly it runs through some of the best rainforest habitat). Additionally (as a friend sagely pointed out in a recent discussion), it isn't only the charismatic (and desirable) species that seemed to have declined, it was also things like blind snakes and small-eyed snakes, which no one would be poaching.

I think it's more likely that any trends in either population size or simply in activity levels (and hence sightings on roads) may have been driven by weather patterns. There was drought for seven years in this area of Queensland which may have had an effect. It has been much wetter in the past few years and I can say with confidence that the frog populations up here at least are thriving again. I haven't been living here long enough to say much else but I've been averaging 5-6 snakes a night on nights when conditions are only so-so. I haven't actually had any herping conditions I'd consider ideal and if I had I wouldn't be surprised to have seen a lot of critters out and about. Having said that, when conditions are great up here a lot of people come looking for snakes....so there's always the possibility that someone up ahead of you is moving a lot of snakes off the road (not necessarily poaching) that you might otherwise have seen.

Just finally (I'm waffling now I know), the recent wet weather could have a big effect on local cane toad populations too. Even though toads have been here a long time (about 60 years), the ebb and flow of their population size (largely driven by weather patterns I've no doubt) may have an effect on the populations of anurophagous reptiles around here too.

So...not only am I not convinced that reptile numbers are down, I think that even if they are there are too many variables for anyone to be able to say with confidence why that might be. Yes, it is very comfortable up here on my fence :lol:
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Thank you for such a detailed response. I figured no one would know for sure, but was wondering what some of the hypothesis may be.
MaartenSFS

Post by MaartenSFS »

TNWJackson wrote:Thanks Maarten - definitely agree there's more to life (and nature) than herps. When I get a decent macro lens I'll spend a lot more time photographing inverts I'm sure.
I look forward to it. ;)
jordo

Post by jordo »

Awesome shots Tim, I really need to spend more time up on the east coast.
joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen »

Super excellent thread. You captured the bandy behavior very well. I had no idea it occured to such an extent.. that one had what looked to be 2/3's of it's body in the air!

That Dendrelaphis picture really has me thinking the genus needs some splitting. It looks more like a rat snake in shape than the dendrelaphis I"m more familiar with, D. cyanochloris and D. formosus.

Ian
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Thanks Jordan - indeed you do, plenty of stuff to see around here (and everywhere else in Australia - I need to see more of the West!).

Thanks Joey - that particular bandy picture is probably the highest I've ever seen one throw a loop. I wouldn't read too much into the Dendrelaphis photo, that is a particularly large specimen and they really thicken up when they get to that size. I've seen large caudolineatus that had a not dissimilar shape and smaller punctulatus retain the classic Dendrelaphis body shape. Add in the fact that that picture is of the snake flattened its head and neck in a threat display and that confounds the issue further. Not saying they're not different from the Asian species, they are, just probably not quite as different as that photo might suggest.
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

VERY nice. Did a "quick" 20 minute scan and realized I'll need MUCH more time to fully appreciate your work.... so I'll be back. WOW.

Thanks
DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan »

Awesome post, Tim!! But whats with that little brown skink you photographed? I had no idea you were that way inclined!! ;)

You certainly live in a great part of SE Qld. As for those Adders... I think you're lying!
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Thanks DaveR!
DanTheMan wrote:Awesome post, Tim!! But whats with that little brown skink you photographed? I had no idea you were that way inclined!! ;)

You certainly live in a great part of SE Qld. As for those Adders... I think you're lying!
Yeah...I still feel dirty about that skink. I keep washing my hands but the lame just won't come off!

You're right about the adders....I just dressed up a bunch of small-eyed and crowned snakes for those photos.
DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan »

I knew it! Just Golden-crowned's though, right? White-crowned's are rarer than adders! ;)
Serpentes

Post by Serpentes »

"Yeah...I still feel dirty about that skink. I keep washing my hands but the lame just won't come off!"

When you boys grow up into real herpetoloists, you'll reflect on such comments and hang your heads in deep regret.
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

DanTheMan wrote:I knew it! Just Golden-crowned's though, right? White-crowned's are rarer than adders! ;)
Hahaha of course - golden-crowneds have more appropriately shaped heads too ;)

Whatever Scott, you're just sore because my study animals eat your study animals.