Iraan In crockett county?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

BlakeMolone

Iraan In crockett county?

Post by BlakeMolone »

Im probaly going to be going to Iraan sometime this summer to look for rock rattlesnakes, trans Pecos rat snakes, or really just any snakes lol and have a few questions. Will the moon have a significant impact on roadcrusing? Also Can red coachwhips be found around Iraan?
Saunders

Re: Iraan In crockett county?

Post by Saunders »

I don't know about the coachwhips but I do know that the less moon or the more cloud cover the better.
chrish

Post by chrish »

I haven't found coachwhips in Iraan, but I have found them out near there. They tend to be brownish with reddish heads. Some end up with prominent cross-banding as adults.

Those cuts east of Iraan are fun to hunt, of course that is illegal now. :(

Chris
BlakeMolone

Post by BlakeMolone »

Yeah it sucks you cant mess with herps but I dont think I would collect anything anyway, and I can atleast take pictures. Is there a pretty good variety of snakes east of Iraan?
Alterna

Post by Alterna »

Yes there are. I have a friend who has collected milks and an alterna while cliffdiving, errr-fieldherping the rock faces out by Sun Valley Farms. If you know any of the ranchers out that way-or are the friendly sort, you might be able to get on some land. We used to fieldherp SVF as years ago, it was owned by a cousin. We'd cruise the dirt roads and flip tin out there quite often.

If you are headed out that way, I can tell you of some places and folks who might take you out there or Orla. We fieldherped Orla extensively.
BlakeMolone

Post by BlakeMolone »

Ok thanks a lot! Ill definitely either be going to Iraan or Studdy Butte and Iraan is alot closer so thats probaly where ill be. Id love to find and Alterna or Milk snake So ill deffinetly try out there!
suboc-1

Post by suboc-1 »

The law enforcement officers around Iraan have a tendency to be real jerks (even before the law) and I have heard a few horror stories. So if you are herping around there just be very careful to not violate any traffic laws such as stopping in the middle or the road. If you see another car coming just pull off well into the shoulder if you are shinning cuts from the road.