Western Patch-nosed Snake

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Tonia Graves

Western Patch-nosed Snake

Post by Tonia Graves »

Was out cruising in the desert when I found this little guy. It was already warm so it got nervous quickly. I tried the hat trick on it to calm it down but it only stayed put for one pic. I would've liked to have gotten a better composition but sometimes you take what you can get!

R000153 - Western Patch-nosed Snake (Salvadora hexalepsis) by Tonia Graves, on Flickr
Soopaman

Re: Western Patch-nosed Snake

Post by Soopaman »

Beautiful snake!

I can relate on having trouble getting them to calm down for photographs. I was trying to photograph a Texas Rat Snake yesterday and worked with him for nearly 30minutes trying to get him to calm down but he never did.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Gorgeous snake, love patchies! Too bad you couldn't get a great pose ...everything else in the image is working and you can see the snake very well. Congrats :thumb:
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

That's wildlife photography for ya!
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Patchies can definitely be a pain. I thought I was gonna have my work cut out for me with a Tantilla I shot yesterday, but I just sat it down and it happened to stay.... for the first time ever. The coachwhip is another story. Haha
Tonia Graves

Post by Tonia Graves »

mikemike wrote:Patchies can definitely be a pain. I thought I was gonna have my work cut out for me with a Tantilla I shot yesterday, but I just sat it down and it happened to stay.... for the first time ever. The coachwhip is another story. Haha
Yeah, I've gotten bloodied up pretty good by coachwhips before! And at that point they won't sit still for any photos!
zwhitman

Post by zwhitman »

The only patch nose I ever found was very cooperative. It was still a little cool out...

SnakeDude

Post by SnakeDude »

dude, those are some of the coolest snakes on the planet, although I've never even caught one. haha
-Ian
Tonia Graves

Post by Tonia Graves »

zwhitman wrote:The only patch nose I ever found was very cooperative. It was still a little cool out...

It was in the mid 80's when I found this one but I did have to move it off of the road before photographing it, so by then it was sufficiently annoyed with me!
JohnU

Post by JohnU »

I definitely understand what a pain these can be to photograph. I found this one on a rocky hillside and it quickly retreated under a rock. I snapped this pic before capturing the snake and it ended up being the only pic with the eye in focus.
Western Patch-nosed Snake by SubjectNature, on Flickr