Finally, a Shingleback. Perth WA

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Azemiops

Finally, a Shingleback. Perth WA

Post by Azemiops » March 5th, 2012, 7:23 am

Perfectly timed with the purchase of a new camera lens, I finally found one of the most common Australia lizards, that has been eluding me for such a long time. By chance, I missed my bus back home from work, which just so happened to be located opposite a small patch of scrubland in the middle of a Perth suburb. Also by chance, I happened to have my camera equipment with me as I had picked up a new lens on the way to work that morning. I had an hour to spare now before my next bus, and although it had been a stinking hot day, and at 4pm was still in the high 30's, I decided to head out for a quick look to see if I could turn anything, and sure enough, after 20 minutes I came across this little chap sat next to a path.

As you can see, I think he wasn't quite as pleased at being found as I was with finding him....

And a habitat shot of where it was found.

The colouration of these large skinks is highly variable around here, so hopefully I will find a few more before we leave.

Thanks,

Tom

mikemike

Re: Finally, a Shingleback. Perth WA

Post by mikemike » March 5th, 2012, 3:30 pm

Awesome, man! Great shots too. You gotta love the little unplanned finds. I have a spot behind my work I hit sometimes on random days and it's produced some good stuff for being within city limits.

justinm

Post by justinm » March 5th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Those sleepy lizards would be a huge find for me. I love the angle you shot them at, really good work.

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes » March 10th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Sweet, looks like you will be taking some more great pictures with that lense in the future. Australia is awesome!

Bill Love

Post by Bill Love » March 13th, 2012, 7:02 pm

I love your shingleback shots; you caught that 'bobbie' perfectly to achieve maximum impact!

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » March 13th, 2012, 7:17 pm

Woah! NICE photos! What lens was that? And did you use a flash? If so, where did you position it?

Azemiops

Post by Azemiops » March 14th, 2012, 1:05 am

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:Woah! NICE photos! What lens was that? And did you use a flash? If so, where did you position it?
Hi Hans,

The lens was a Sigma 10-20mm wide-angle. I use a Canon Speedlite 430EXii flash unit with a soft-box attached - this is used 'wireless' so I can hold it in any position I please. For these shots, the flash unit was held directly above, around 70cm from the shingleback.

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » March 14th, 2012, 1:14 am

Thanks!!