Is Baja Safe?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

sonora

Is Baja Safe?

Post by sonora » March 4th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Let me rephrase that: Is driving deserted roads at midnight in Baja California Sur any LESS safe than driving deserted roads at midnight in southern Arizona, southern California, northern Florida, central Kansas, Costa Rica, Belize, etc? I have never been to any part of Mexico and I plan on spending seven nights in La Paz in mid-September where I plan to road-hunt every night. I realize I should be cautious (as everyone should be everywhere), but should I be WORRIED? And when I say worried, I don't mean concerning livestock on the roads, bad drivers, or pot holes. Any advice from those who have experience in that area would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

Jeff Teel

Re: Is Baja Safe?

Post by Jeff Teel » March 4th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Just do it...I got to tag aling on an over two hour poss drug bust with the militar last sept...just make sure you have enough beer.

sonora

Post by sonora » March 6th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Thank you both for the replies. I'm looking forward to it.
Steve

scottriv

Post by scottriv » March 7th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Sept is a good month down there.

PM me if you want any specifics.

Don Cascabel

Post by Don Cascabel » March 8th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Baja Sur is one of the Mexican states with the least amount of organized crime and violent crime in general. It is significantly safer IMHO than anywhere in Arizona or New Mexico... also less armed to the teeth meth-heads down there. La Paz is a great city... just a bit isolated from the rest of the country, if it were on the mainland, I think I'd be living there.

Have fun... September in Baja can be a magical experience, in my opinion much more fun than Costa Rica!!!

Cheers,

Don Cascabel

sonora

Post by sonora » March 9th, 2012, 5:34 am

Thanks Don!

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes » March 10th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Rush past the border cities (i.e., Tijuana, Ensenada) to get further south and into the cool stuff. I have yet to keep myself out of trouble while in Tijuana

San Louis Gonzaga, Baja, MX in the 1900’s, that’s me in the middle

monklet

Post by monklet » March 10th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Geez Will, I didn't know you did Baja! Great pic ...how about the story?

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes » March 10th, 2012, 5:47 pm

You bet I've done Baja, took several college courses that kept be down there for a couple weeks at a time. It was a blast. For the most part I kept out of trouble.. but there was always those time.

Squam8

Post by Squam8 » March 11th, 2012, 7:24 pm

I've road cruised places in northern Baja and central Baja, but not the La Paz area, although I've been to La Paz scuba diving and snorkelling. September is a great time to snorkel with whale sharks. Sometimes the hammerheads are at El Bajo, but they are getting overfished these days. The main highway 1 (the only paved road for much of the peninsula) can be kinda sketchy because there are rarely shoulders to pull off from, there is typically a steep drop off the road and the highways aren't banked well (highest in the middle). The most dangerous thing are the truckers, they seem to have no fear of death, they haul @ss up and down the highway all night long to save time. Not uncommon to see a big rig laying on the ditch next to the highway. Sometimes the truckers break down in the highway and since there is no shoulder they set up soda or beer cans around the bend as a warning. Of course you know about the other hazards, cattle, drunks driving with no headlights, etc... if you are flying to La Paz you skip the worst of it though.

So HWY 1 isn't really a good place to stop and photo stuff. The military checkpoints are pretty chill in Baja Sur compared to Baja Norte. However down by the cape (haven't really road cruised there yet though) I think there are a few more options of paved roads with less traffic. Of course there are dirt roads everywhere if you have high clearance preferably 4x4. Send me a PM if you want to meet up for road cruising, I'll be in Baja Sur most of September for lizard research and surfing.

Andy