Loreto Mexico over New Years, birds and landscape

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rothdigga

Loreto Mexico over New Years, birds and landscape

Post by Rothdigga »

Just got back from Loreto, Mexico. Really was hoping for some herps while down there and I found some great spots, lots of AC but alas I got skunked (almost completely skunked, saw 2 small lizards but not enough to ID). The temps were down a bit and it was pretty windy the last few days we were there so even beachgoing was somewhat unpleasant. I was really hoping for something down there but since there's no herps I can still post this on the birding forum.
But on the plus side, I did manage to get some nice birds while driving around down there.
Here's a few highlights from the trip:
Killdeer up at Premier Agua

We took a trip out to Coronado Island, about 2 miles off the coast of Loreto. Super cool and our panga guide cruised the backside of the island to the sea lion rookery first.

We also got into a nice pod of common dolphins while on our way around the island. Always cool to see them.

We drove over to the Pacific side in hopes that the gray whale migration had come into Magdalena Bay a bit early. Bummer for us that we were still 2-3 weeks early. On the drive I got some pics of these guys though. Northern Caracara

When we got to Magdalena Bay, we did get to see some cool birds out on the tidal flats.
Tri-Colored Heron
Yellow Crowned Night Heron
Here's just a shot of many of the birds out there- White Ibis, Snowy and Great Egrets, Black Crowned Night Herons, tons of ducks in the back
Juvenile Northern Caracara at the tidal flats

There were seriously so many Osprey out there I couldn't believe it. Fortunately, the state or city had built nesting platforms on every single power pole that was put up and almost every platform had a nest with an Osprey in it. Amazing, I may have seen 100+ Osprey out there and on the drive. The platforms extended probably 5-7 miles outside the city.
This guy tried to get busy and mate with a female, but she wasn't having it and bailed right after his attempt. Sorry buddy, not gonna happen today. Would've made a decent photo if not for the powerlines.

Of course there were tons of Xantu's and Costa's hummingbirds cruising around the landscaped gardens of our place. The Villages of Loreto Bay is where we stayed, very cool spot.
Xantu's Hummingbird
Costa's Hummingbird

Up in the Mountains above Loreto lies the San Javier Mission, somewhere around 300+ years old, it's cool to see places like this.

You can find some good snacks in Loreto

The grounds of where we stayed had mangroves and a small estuary next to a golf course. These guys could be found there too
Yellow Crowned Night Heron
Brown Pelican in breeding colors

Just realized I left out some UW shots. Here's a few:
Don't know the ID on this small reef fish, but it turned out ok
Sorpionfish were everywhere, so awesome looking. Here's 3 different ones
Not sure of the ID on this sea star either.
Did get to swim with 3-4 spotted eagle rays in a bay, super cool fish.

Woke up early one morning to shoot the sunrise. Since we were on the other side of Baja I'm not used to having to get up to see the sun over the water, that's usually sunset for me here in SoCal. Not sure which one I like better but probably the 2nd one. Thanks for checking out the bird pics. I guarantee I'll have some herp photos from my next trip, Costa Rica in April. Gonna be sick!