Moderator: Scott Waters

pete

Re: What was your last lifer?...

Post by pete »

:beer: :beer: :beer:
chrish

Post by chrish »

I'm not sure if this counts as a lifer or not. A few years ago I looked over the side of a very large oceanic ferry boat and saw a group of apparently small, short-winged "seabirds" flying quickly along. I guessed they were Common Diving-Petrels, and I think I put it on my bird list with an asterisk.

Well, on January first I went on a pelagic birding trip in the Hauraki Gulf of New Zealand and finally got a good look at a definite Common Diving-Petrel -

So I'm deleting the old record and calling this a lifer.
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

I got a bunch of lifers this holiday season. I birded all around south Florida. Here's some of the ones I have photographs of:
Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) by photographerp, on Flickr

Black-bellied Whistling Ducks (Dendrocygna autumnalis) by photographerp, on Flickr

Yellow-crowned Night Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) by photographerp, on Flickr

Razorbills! (Alca torda) by photographerp, on Flickr

Waterbird Mixed Bag by photographerp, on Flickr
This photo shows some lifers like Lesser Yellowlegs, Black-bellied Plovers, Least Sandpipers and Short-billed Dowitchers.

I also picked up Wurdemann's Great Blue Heron, Red Knots, Magnificent Frigatebird and some exotics: Nanday Parakeet, Blue-crowned Parakeet, Monk Parakeet, Black Swan and Egyptian Geese.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Heard a report of some gulls I haven't seen down in Cleveland. Ended up being a 6 species day - 4 regular species (Herring, Ring-billed, Boneparte's and Great Black-backed) and 2 lifers (Thayer's and Iceland). Not too often I have a two lifer day in Ohio!
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

I should probably just wait awhile and rack up a few lifers before posting, but I really don't expect to keep finding life birds on a regular basis. Regardless, a lunchtime trek today took us to a bunch of Common Redpolls, which contained my lifer Hoary Redpoll!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Reptiluvr,

Great find on the Razorbills. Apparently there has been a huge push of this species into Florida and around into the Gulf. Texas birders have been anxiously searching since we still have no Alcids on our state list.

I picked up a few lifers last week at Miranda Shorebird Center on the Firth of Thames in New Zealand.

I will post photos next week, but for now my lifers were:

Wrybill - this was the reason to go to Miranda. This endemic and very bizarre shorebird only lives in NZ.

Greater Sand Plover - a bonus bird at Miranda. Rare there but we saw one very close......which I forgot to photograph.

Shore Plover - this is certainly the coolest of my lifers since this bird is one of the harder shorebirds to get in the world due to its tiny range. I'm not sure how/why this individual had wandered to Miranda, but I'll take it since I wouldn't go to its natural range to get it.
Here's my best photo. No,..not the bird Pied Stilts in the foreground, the dot back by the clump of grass in the back. :(
Of course, the previous day it was right next to the photo blind about 20 feet away in good light. :x

Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

And a day later another lifer... Bohemian Waxwing. 11th day of January and already 5 lifer birds in Ohio. Killin' it.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

Andy, I'm quite impressed with your winter birding. I'm in the UP and am only seeing Ravens, Eagles, and Chicadees.
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

I have been getting more and more lifers lately.
Pine Siskin
Costa's Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
Canvasback
Common Goldeneye
Sedge Wren
chrish

Post by chrish »

Flammulated Owl yesterday was sort of a lifer. I had found one before in a mist net and banded it, but never actually saw a "free" one before.

I snapped this photo at ISO 16000 (yes, ISO 16K!) as the owl hopped down onto a limb near me in the almost pitch black. I could only make out its silhouette, but the camera managed to get quite a bit of detail considering there was no flash, no flashlights, no nothing!

krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Ring necked duck.

A very rare guest on this side of the pond I might well have seen it in North America as a kid but since I don't remember seeing it, it is of course a lifer :)

I'll spare you the pics as my wife had taken the camera to work to photograph some of her students' artwork, so all I had with me was a cheap cell phone...
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

I've had a few good ones lately:
Costa's Hummingbird (first one confirmed in FL)
Seaside Sparrow
Nelson's Sparrow
Marsh Wren
Greater Scaup
Spotted Sandpiper
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

Common Crane - currently in Nevada
chrish

Post by chrish »

nightdriver wrote:Common Crane - currently in Nevada
Whoa! Very cool.

I went to our local Botanical Garden's today to look for a hummer that has been around and the 'experts' believe to be an Allen's -

While there, we found out there was a Calliope being seen as well (not a lifer, but only my second and a damn good bird for central Texas) -

With all the local birders stumbling around, someone spotted an empid which we staked out and it turned out to be our second lifer of the day - Hammond's Flycatcher! (After I took these lousy photos and headed home, the bird apparently came out, sat on a branch at face level a few feet from other photographers in the bright sun. :roll: )

Not very often I get two lifers in one day in my home state, let alone home town!
Freddy81

Post by Freddy81 »

Time to have a party.....I saw my nr 300 in Sweden...that is the magic nr in Sweden. I have put down many many hours for this nr.

Oriental Turtle Dove or Rufous Turtle Dove (Streptopelia orientalis)

So when you see your nr 300 then you ave to drink.....so why not.
Scrambled eggs with mushrooms and chili and a ice cold bottle of Champagne - Ernest Rapeneau..... 8-)
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

Good job Freddy81. Enjoy your celebration! I personally have a long way to go to hit an ABA # worth celebrating.

Curtis
Freddy81

Post by Freddy81 »

Thx Curtis. What is the magic nr in US or in your state? Over here in Sweden we have 300 as the nr. But the guy who is the MAN have seen 453 sp in Sweden and he is nr 1. Total birds in Sweden is 503.
/Freddy
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I'm currently at 483 in the ABA. I'll enjoy getting to 500, but 600 and 700 are very accomplishable.
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

If I can get to 700, anybody can :roll:

It keeps getting harder. At this point, I probably couldn't get more that 2 new birds that breed in any of the continental US states.
I'm pretty happy if I get one new ABA bird a year at this point, and most of those I have to chase. If it's within 800 miles or so, I'll consider it. :beer:

-nightdriver
chrish

Post by chrish »

I'm over 500 in the ABA (543), but 600 is going to be tough.

I have 464 for Texas. I would love to get that to 500.

I have 1908 total. I would love to hit that 2K mark, but that will require a trip to some new region of the globe or maybe a prolonged trip to Australia.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Curtis Hart wrote:I'm currently at 483 in the ABA. I'll enjoy getting to 500, but 600 and 700 are very accomplishable.
You are pretty close to 500, Curtis. Could manage the difference sticking around Michigan?
chrish wrote:I'm over 500 in the ABA (543), but 600 is going to be tough.
Chris, I am surprised your ABA list isn't higher, but I guess you have said you normally head south or to other countries. Seriously, you should consider a May trip up to Ohio. In a week (or less) you could make a killing on neo-tropical migrants, ducks and some pretty sweet herps. Or come fly up in the winter for some gull action. I got 6 species of gulls today and could have gone 7 or 8 with a little more effort.

Andy
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

I think the time between 500 and 600 went faster than 400 to 500. All it takes is a few well placed trips. You need to come out and do some Pacific pelagics Chris.

-nightdriver
chrish

Post by chrish »

Andy Avram wrote:Chris, I am surprised your ABA list isn't higher, but I guess you have said you normally head south or to other countries. Seriously, you should consider a May trip up to Ohio. In a week (or less) you could make a killing on neo-tropical migrants, ducks and some pretty sweet herps. Or come fly up in the winter for some gull action. I got 6 species of gulls today and could have gone 7 or 8 with a little more effort.
Andy
nightdriver wrote:I think the time between 500 and 600 went faster than 400 to 500. All it takes is a few well placed trips. You need to come out and do some Pacific pelagics Chris.
-nightdriver
I think my pace has accelerated in the last 100 or so as well because you become more selective and focused and tend to chase rarities more.

There are only 10 of the 464 species that normally occur in Texas that would be lifers for me, so I guess I need to get out of the state. (Lesser Prairie-Chicken, Audubon's Shearwater, Spotted Owl, Eastern Whip-poor-will, Alder Flycatcher, Northern Shrike, Smith's Longspur, Bachman's Sparrow, Baird's Sparrow, Henslow's Sparrow). Alder Flycatcher is probably "ungettable" in Texas because they don't call while they are migrating through here so they can't be safely identified.

Actually, my big ABA holes are
- Rocky Mountain endemics
- Pacific Coast endemics
- Boreal stuff (owls, finches, ptarmigans, etc)
- pelagics, although I could do better on the East coast than the west since I have a number of the Pacific species already.

But for the money I would spend getting all those birds, I could go to New Guinea or Cameroon and get 300 new birds.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

Andy, I could probably get to 500 in MI, but I would rather not spend the gas $ needed to do that right now. I live in just about the worst place birding wise in MI. I'm as far from a great lake as you can get and there is a lot more agriculture than forest here. I normally don't work in MI, so I'll probably pick up a few in the next field season.

Chis, that Audubon's Shearwater shouldn't be that tough. I saw them on the Pelagic trip, summer of '11 and this fall while sailing about 40 miles out. I guess it's just getting out there.

My world total is 1126, which is low, because I've been SUPER lazy some times, and also couldn't afford the field guide once (Birds of Wallacea).

Curtis
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Got dozens of bird lifers in January because I spent it in Ecuador.

One of the most memorable was the Andean Pygmy owl, I got a really good look at it but had no camera.

A bunch of birds I have no idea what the IDs are. Here are some of the ones that I do know that come to mind right now.

A bunch of hummingbirds! The ones I do have IDs for are...
Violet-tailed Sylph (Aglaiocercus coelestis), a really beautiful hummer that it was a pleasure to see and photograph.
Purple-bibbed Whitetip (Urosticte benjamini)
Andean Emerald (Amazilia franciae)
Black-tailed Trainbearer (Lesbia victoriae)
a few others who I haven't IDed yet

Andean Guan
Crimson-mantled Woodpecker (Colaptes rivolii)

And oh yeah I saw these birds flying about everyday and on occasion they would come closer...
Andean Condor (Vultur gryphus)
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I saw a Rough-legged Hawk in Ontario yesterday. For some reason I though they were a lot smaller, it was huge.

Curtis
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Mute Swans in Albuquerque, NM.

Josh
Ecto Hunter

Post by Ecto Hunter »

saw a snowy owl here in middle Georgia back in January. thought i was hallucinating at first until I checked my guide and learned that they occasionally turn up here in the south.
AsydaBass

Post by AsydaBass »

Just got a Mangrove cuckoo while kayaking down here in the southern Everglades.

-Don
www.RainforestDon.com
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I saw a Greater Scaup at Lake Hudson a week or so ago and picked up a Northern Beardless Tyrannulet at Anzulduas County Park this morning. I also saw a Yellow-headed Parrot this morning. I haven't decided if I'll count that one or not yet.

I picked up an Elf Owl at Bensten Rio Grande 3/21/2013.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Curtis Hart wrote:picked up a Northern Beardless Tyrannulet at Anzulduas County Park this morning. I also saw a Yellow-headed Parrot this morning. I have decided if I'll count that one or not yet.
Congrats on the Tyrannulet. I had been down to the valley many dozens of times over 20 years before I finally got that little bugger.

Parrots in the valley are a pain. The only ones I have counted are the flocks of Green Parakeets and Red-headed Parrots which are pretty predictable. Yellow-headed is interesting though.....they do still occur in the Tamaulipan Scrub just a few hours south of the border.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

chrish wrote:Congrats on the Tyrannulet. I had been down to the valley many dozens of times over 20 years before I finally got that little bugger.
Thanks. I heard another one at Bensten Rio Grande this morning, but didn't take the time to track it down. It was really tough to find the first one, even after I heard it.

chrish wrote:Parrots in the valley are a pain. The only ones I have counted are the flocks of Green Parakeets and Red-headed Parrots which are pretty predictable. Yellow-headed is interesting though.....they do still occur in the Tamaulipan Scrub just a few hours south of the border.

A woman I met out bird watching that morning said that Yellow-headeds are countable, but I have so far been unsuccessful at finding any info about their status in the valley online.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Curtis Hart wrote:I saw a Greater Scaup at Lake Hudson a week or so ago and picked up a Northern Beardless Tyrannulet at Anzulduas County Park this morning. I also saw a Yellow-headed Parrot this morning. I haven't decided if I'll count that one or not yet.
I am surprised you haven't seen Greater Scaup before! At this point I am only a handful of ducks away from finishing them off for the ABA I need to head WAY north to Alaska and way south to Florida or by you in Texas.

You have gotten some pretty choice birds lately, but looking at the ABA website, which goes of AOU, and I don't see Yellow-headed Parrot on the list, thus meaning it isn't "countable". Of course that all could change in a few years, but personally I don't get as excited as some people about now non-native species added to the list.

Today or tomorrow I go after Little Gull! Flocks of them on Lake Erie but in PA, which isn't too far from me.

Andy
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

Andy Avram wrote:You have gotten some pretty choice birds lately, but looking at the ABA website, which goes of AOU, and I don't see Yellow-headed Parrot on the list, thus meaning it isn't "countable". Of course that all could change in a few years, but personally I don't get as excited as some people about now non-native species added to the list.

I agree, I haven't added any of the valley parrots even though I see them often when I'm here. I was told that there is a possibility that the Yellow-headeds may be a natural migrant. Looking into it further, this does not seem to be the case. I don't always follow the ABA lists though, I don'y think they allow CA Condors, but I count that one.

I'm sure I had seen Greater Scaup before, just not well enough for me to count.

Added Crimson-collared Grosbeak on Friday, and Kemp's Ridley on Saturday. Dipped on a Zone-tailed because I left a Hawk Watch to go looking for a bobcat.

Good job on the gulls Andy.

Curtis
chrish

Post by chrish »

Curtis Hart wrote:My world total is 1126, which is low, because I've been SUPER lazy some times, and also couldn't afford the field guide once (Birds of Wallacea).
Couldn't afford the field guide?? Sheesh......back when I was a boy.... :lol:

When I was an undergrad in the 1980s, my parents lived in Indonesia. I spent a lot of time birding in Java, East Kalimantan, Bali and other areas of Indonesia. The frustrating thing was that there was no field guide that covered the area. I had an 20+ year old guide to Borneo (Smythies), a bird guide to the Phillippines that was about that old and a slightly newer field guide to the birds of Southeast Asia. But the SEA field guide didn't cover any of Indonesia. So I plodded along happily half-guessing what birds might be based on the pictures I could find in my books. (Imagine birding in the US where the only field guides you had access to were 20 year old guides to Alaska and Costa Rica with black and white plates and many birds not even illustrated, just described).

Then I found a checklist of the birds of Java and Bali and compared it to my list and found out that a lot of the birds I thought I had seen didn't occur there and that there were a lot of endemic birds to the area. I found myself having to "guess" what a bird would look like based on its Common or Scientific name. I probably took 100 birds off my birdlist. Fortunately, I did sometimes keep good notes with descriptions of new or interesting birds and did manage to look up a few after new guides were published. But I suspect that at least 75% of the birds I saw in Java, Sulawesi, and even Borneo I had to dismiss as 'not in the book' or 'similar to x' or 'some sort of Barbet or Prinia or Sunbird or Tailorbird, etc.. ' Truth be told, I got so frustrated many times I would just look at a bird, shrug and move on.

Net effect - Over several years, I probably spent months birding around various places in Indonesia at all times of year and I have a total of 71 birds on my birdlist from there :( , and probably a third of those are widespread old world species like shorebirds, raptors, etc. that were identifiable. That number should probably be 10x that high. I spent two weeks in Sulawesi where I added 3 birds to my birdlist! And when you add in birds lost to my $25 binoculars.....

It sucked and was very frustrating, but at least I saw Kalimantan before all the Palm Oil plantations and logging destroyed it.

The herps were many times worse because I probably only identified 5% of what I saw.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

chrish wrote:Couldn't afford the field guide?? Sheesh......back when I was a boy.... :lol:

Well, part of it was that I expected to find it in Asia for a fraction of the price of the internet. I could not find a copy anywhere in Asia, including Singapore. Either way it would have been $200+.

Not a lifer, but added Common Black Hawk for the ABA, Santa Ana NWR Hawk Watch.

EDIT: I returned to the Santa Ana NWR hawk watch today and learned that the Common Black Hawk record had not been accepted by whoever proofs hawk watch data due to lack of a picture. We all agreed that the sighting was good enough for our own purposes though.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Here's a lazy way to get a lifer....

So I'm going through some old photos from 2006, looking for a specific roadkill photo when I come across this photo -

and I saw that it wasn't labeled so I think "I'm not sure which species I finally decided this was..." So I check my Mexican bird book and figure out it is a Mountain (Nothern) Pygmy-Owl.
Just on a whim, I check my birdlist for that date to see what I had called it before and ......it isn't on there. No birds from that date are on there.

So, I got a lifer that I had forgotten about years ago. Now I have to remember what else I saw up there that I might have forgotten to count!

Chris
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Ca Condor... :D

My last lifer of any kind... and AWESOME!!! :D jim
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

I'll finish my drive home tomorrow or the next day. Over the last two weeks I started in Mcallan, Texas spent a week in Big Bend NP, then on to Guadelupe Mountains NP, then north to Omaha NE. Here are the lifers I saw.

Clapper Rail - South Padre Convention Center
Gray Flycatcher - Big Bend
Black Chinned Sparrow - Big Bend
Zone-tailed Hawk - Big Bend and 2 from roads
Canyon Wren - Big Bend
Blue-throated Hummingbird - Big Bend
Lesser Nighthawk - Big Bend
McGillivray's Warbler - Big Bend
White-throated Swift - Big Bend
Hutton's Vireo - Big Bend
Plumbeous Vireo - Big Bend
Clark's Grebe - Balmorrhea
Snow Goose - Balmorrhea
Virginia's Warbler - Guadelupe Mts
Gray Vireo - Guadelupe Mts
Cassin's Kingbird - Rattlesnake Springs (Carlsbad Caverns)
Mexican Whip-poorwill - Guadelupe Mts
Harris's Sparrow - Omaha NE

My birding software crashed and I can't restore it until I get home. It's all backed up, but I'm not sure of my exact total. I think I'm at about 505. Thanks to everyone that gave me advice, especially ChrisH.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Curtis Hart wrote:I'll finish my drive home tomorrow or the next day. Over the last two weeks I started in Mcallan, Texas spent a week in Big Bend NP, then on to Guadelupe Mountains NP, then north to Omaha NE. Here are the lifers I saw.

Clapper Rail - South Padre Convention Center
Gray Flycatcher - Big Bend
Black Chinned Sparrow - Big Bend
Zone-tailed Hawk - Big Bend and 2 from roads
Canyon Wren - Big Bend
Blue-throated Hummingbird - Big Bend
Lesser Nighthawk - Big Bend
McGillivray's Warbler - Big Bend
White-throated Swift - Big Bend
Hutton's Vireo - Big Bend
Plumbeous Vireo - Big Bend
Clark's Grebe - Balmorrhea
Snow Goose - Balmorrhea
Virginia's Warbler - Guadelupe Mts
Gray Vireo - Guadelupe Mts
Cassin's Kingbird - Rattlesnake Springs (Carlsbad Caverns)
Mexican Whip-poorwill - Guadelupe Mts
Harris's Sparrow - Omaha NE

My birding software crashed and I can't restore it until I get home. It's all backed up, but I'm not sure of my exact total. I think I'm at about 505. Thanks to everyone that gave me advice, especially ChrisH.
Glad you got the requisite number. The problem is now that you are at 500, 600 is a long way off!

You got two birds that I don't have - Virginia's Warbler and Mexican Whip-poorwill. I've seen both but didn't count either sighting.

Interesting that there were still geese at Balmorrhea. No Ross's among the snows? They are pretty common there if there are any white geese.
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

Congrats to Curtis for the recent trip of lifers.
I'm currently working as a King Rail technician at Mackay Island NWR on Knotts Island, NC. The birding and herping here is phenomenal. I have seen 101 species of birds in 3 weeks time on 8,000 acres!
New lifers:
Snow Goose (incl. Blue Morph)
Tundra Swan
American Black Duck
Northern Pintail
King Rail
Whimbrel
Dark-eyed Junco
Great Crested Flycatcher
Purple Sandpiper (VA Beach)
Bonaparte's Gull (VA Beach)
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

chrish wrote: You got two birds that I don't have - Virginia's Warbler and Mexican Whip-poorwill. I've seen both but didn't count either sighting.

Interesting that there were still geese at Balmorrhea. No Ross's among the snows? They are pretty common there if there are any white geese.

Why didn't you count those two?

There was only one lone Snow Goose left. My guess is that it was injured.

Good job in NC Reptiluvr! I'm thinking about going on a pelagics trip out of Hatteras in May.
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

I am thinking about one of those pelagics trips too! Coordinating a paycheck, good weather and a day off will be a challenge though. I have nothing on my list for pelagics unless Northern Gannets count.
Freddy81

Post by Freddy81 »

My latest lifter was this wonderful Blue-winged Teal (Anas discors) nr 301 for me.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Curtis Hart wrote:
chrish wrote: You got two birds that I don't have - Virginia's Warbler and Mexican Whip-poorwill. I've seen both but didn't count either sighting.
Why didn't you count those two?
The Mexican Whip-poor-will (and a Whiskered Screech-Owl) were both calling along side a road at night in the Chiricahuas. We got out of the car and listened and called back as best we could. We had our flashlights ready, but even though both species got within 20 feet of us, we could never spot them. We did see a Caprimulgid silhouette fly from a limb where we had heard the Whip calling, but we never really "saw" it. (We saw the Screech-Owl fly over after calling as well, but didn't feel like we had "seen" it either.)

The Virginia's Warbler was among a warbler flock along the road in the Davis Mts. one May day. I saw it for two seconds with binos, but didn't get a good confirming look. I wasn't sure what I had seen but VIWA was the best match I could make. I figured I would have seen another one by now!

Oh well. One day I will make an effort to go get these species again.
Crimson King

Post by Crimson King »

beautiful pix everyone!

:Mark
Freddy81

Post by Freddy81 »

New lifter again...The Common Firecrest (Regulus ignicapilla)
Freddy81

Post by Freddy81 »

New for me....hard to find here in Sweden.
The Stone Curlew, Eurasian Thick-knee, or Eurasian Stone-curlew (Burhinus oedicnemus)
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

Gotten a few more here at Mackay Island NWR where I'm working on King Rails:
King Rail (duh)
Clapper Rail
Virginia Rail
Black Rail (possibly, could use a vocalization to confirm)
Blackpoll Warbler
Summer Tanager
Black-necked Stilt
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Bobolink
chrish

Post by chrish »

Just got back from a trip to Puerto Rico. Will post a birds of PR post later, but for now, here are the lifers I got.

Adelaide's Warbler
African Collared-Dove
Antillean Crested Hummingbird
Antillean Mango
Antillean Nighthawk
Black-whiskered Vireo
Black Swift
Caribbean Elaenia
Caribbean Martin
Elfin-woods Warbler
Greater Antillean Grackle
Green-throated Carib
Lesser Antillean Pewee
Loggerhead Kingbird
Orange Bishop
Orange-cheeked Waxbill
Pin-tailed Whydah
Plain Pigeon
Puerto Rican Bullfinch
Puerto Rican Flycatcher
Puerto Rican Lizard-Cuckoo
Puerto Rican Spindalis
Puerto Rican Tanager
Puerto Rican Tody
Puerto Rican Vireo
Puerto Rican Woodpecker
Red-legged Thrush
Shiny Cowbird
West Indian Whistling-Duck
Yellow-shouldered Blackbird

There were probably a few others as well.

I'll decorate my post with a photo of the endangered Yellow-shouldered Blackbird. Due to aggressive conservation efforts, there are now around 2500 of these birds restricted to a small corner of the island of Puerto Rico. This individual was photographed at the spot that most birders see this bird - in a narrow alley between a hardware store and a soccer field eating stale bread at a feeder. :lol: