Some coastal migrants from Texas - photo dump!

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chrish

Some coastal migrants from Texas - photo dump!

Post by chrish »

Did a quick run down to the coast to check for migrants. Hoped for a Golden-winged Warbler which had been seen in larger than normal numbers this spring. No luck there and the weather was terrible for coastal migrant watching (strong SE winds), but we did get a few birds and it is always exciting since you never know what you will see. I did manage to get a few photos of species I don't have from the coast so it was more a quality not quantity trip I guess.

Here's a few pics -

Blackpoll Warblers are always a good find in Texas since they are usualy eastern migrants -

I was excited to finally get a photo of a Brown Thrasher. I know it is a common bird in the eastern US, but where I live I get primarily Long-billed and Curve-billed Thrashers so getting a photo of Brown was a treat.

Empids aren't really due for another week or so, but there were quite a few Eastern Wood-Pewees around

For me, photo-wise, I was most excited to get a decent photo of a Fulvous Whistling-Duck. Black-bellieds are a dime a dozen around me, but Fulvous are harder to find.

Not a bird I usually associated with migrant traps on the coast, this Ladder-backed Woodpecker was pretty cooperative -

Didn't photograph many shorebirds, but this Pectoral Sandpiper was just asking for it!

Although it was very dark and I had to use ISO 3200, I didi get at least a passable shot of a Swainson's Warbler, a species that has eluded my camera for years -

While taking those Swainson's photos, I didn't notice it got photobombed by a Gray-cheeked Thrush :lol:

This Veery was hanging around one of the migrant traps for two days and was very cooperative. It might the most photographed Veery in North America this year.

Unfortunately, a few non-feathered reptiles kept distracting me from the feathered reptiles, thereby keeping my birper credentials intact :lol: -

Crimson King

Re: Some coastal migrants from Texas - photo dump!

Post by Crimson King »

Nice! I think we're due for another small wave of migrants in a day or so...

:Mark
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

I get a Swainson's or 5 at my drip system every spring...they are darn cool little Warblers. Nice job!

Tim
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Ah the Swainson's Warbler. Maybe my top target this year, just a 5-6 hour drive south of me...
Also, like the Fulvous, I missed those a few years ago in S. Texas.
Crimson King

Post by Crimson King »

Tim Borski, you ever get Swainson's thrush at your place??...:):)
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

Great shots, Chris. Can't wait to get out this spring.

Andy, I'll bet you regret not trying for the Swainson's at Headlands several years back!
monklet

Post by monklet »

Really like the Brown Thasher image, very atypical for angle for a bird photo, great habitat and pose ....sure would like to get one in my home county. They're a pretty high-end vagrant in California but it's certainly possible.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Nice job on the Swainson's. I have heard scores of Swainson's in at least 5 states, and I've never even come close to seeing one.
Matt Buckingham

Post by Matt Buckingham »

Great post and photos. You did quite well, considering the weather we've had this season. I really dig the Fulvous Whistling-Duck photo. Congrats also on the Swainson's Warbler photo. Was the Ladder-Backed at Sabine Woods? I heard about a few Ladder-backed Woodpeckers being seen this year, great shot you got of one.

I love the Pectoral Sandpiper as well. Shorebirds are the best, after rails of course!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Matt Buckingham wrote:Great post and photos. You did quite well, considering the weather we've had this season. I really dig the Fulvous Whistling-Duck photo. Congrats also on the Swainson's Warbler photo. Was the Ladder-Backed at Sabine Woods? I heard about a few Ladder-backed Woodpeckers being seen this year, great shot you got of one.

I love the Pectoral Sandpiper as well. Shorebirds are the best, after rails of course!
The LBWO was at Paradise Pond (Port A). I actually get them in my yard, but seeing one at a migrant trap felt a bit strange. I've never been to Sabine Woods as it is a bit of a long drive for me.

I am going out of town for a week and am going to miss out on the 3 Brown Boobies and Sabine's Gull that are being seen in Corpus Christi right now. :( But I might be able to get some birding in on my trip. Stay tuned for a post if I do.