Duck ID Help

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Antonsrkn

Duck ID Help

Post by Antonsrkn »

Hi all, I snapped this shot just over a week ago and I have been having some trouble with IDing all the ducks in the photo.

So using my bird guide I IDed one as an American Widgeon, it was my first time seeing one of those so it was pretty cool. I had assumed the others were mallards but the two darker ones in the top right looked different enough that I thought I would consult the guide. I thought they might be American Black Ducks but looks like american black ducks dont have a white patch on their bellies and these do. Yet they seem to have considerably darker plumage and bills than the mallards in my book. Then I started looking at the other species of ducks and there are a few species where the females look pretty much like female mallards and looking at my photo. It looks like they could be Gadwalls (a species I was unaware of) as well. Funny thing is, now the only duck whose ID im sure about is the one that I went to the guide book to ID in the first place. Could you guys take a look and tell me what you think? They're probably all mallards but I'd appreciate it.
chrish

Re: Duck ID Help

Post by chrish »

Left to right...

Mottled Duck (? - where were you?) might be a female wigeon.
American Wigeon
female Gadwall
male Gadwall
male Gadwall
female Gadwall
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

chrish wrote:Left to right...

Mottled Duck (? - where were you?) might be a female wigeon.
American Wigeon
female Gadwall
male Gadwall
male Gadwall
female Gadwall
Thanks alot! These are in WI, so that first one must be a female widgeon. And as for the gadwalls, Huh well its not the most climactic way to see a new bird, since I didn't even realize It was a new species for me when I was seeing it. I'm guessing I must have seen them before but been guilty of assuming all brown mottled dabbling ducks must be female mallards, I obviously have alot to learn.

Thanks again for the help, its very much appreciated!
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

The first one is also a female Gadwall. Wigeon have a blue bill with black borders.

Gadwall are one of my favorites, but an easy way to tell the males is they look a bit like a female Mallard but have a black butt and rump. This feature is on my other male ducks, but they all look distinctive elsewhere. Wait until you see a male Gadwall swimming in good light, maybe not the showiest of ducks, but really a good looking bird.

Andy
ospr3y

Post by ospr3y »

Agree with Gadwall hen on the leftmost bird. Looks like you can even see the indicative white speculum that differentiates it from similar ducks in the genus.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Thanks guys for the additional clarification, always appreciated!
an easy way to tell the males is they look a bit like a female Mallard but have a black butt and rump.
I'll be sure to remember that!
Wait until you see a male Gadwall swimming in good light, maybe not the showiest of ducks, but really a good looking bird.
I'll go back to this area sometime soonish and hopefully then I will get a chance to see what youre talking about.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Antonsrkn wrote:Thanks guys for the additional clarification, always appreciated!
an easy way to tell the males is they look a bit like a female Mallard but have a black butt and rump.
I'll be sure to remember that!
Wait until you see a male Gadwall swimming in good light, maybe not the showiest of ducks, but really a good looking bird.
I'll go back to this area sometime soonish and hopefully then I will get a chance to see what youre talking about.
I have to agree. Male Gadwall are quite a striking duck, IMHO. The relatively uniform gray with a black butt is one of the first ducks I learned to ID in the field. I still find them very elegant looking. And when they fly, that big swath of white in the wings is really neat on such a monochromatic bird.