A Few Pictures and Some ID requested

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rancorrye

A Few Pictures and Some ID requested

Post by Rancorrye »

My wife has been wanting to see some eagles lately so I took her to a popular spot near home the other day. I'm not a bird guy, but I do enjoy seeing raptors when I am out. It was a fun day and we got to see a few cool birds. Makes me want to get a better lens and start birding. Especially during these slow months of winter.

And these are the ones I could use some IDs on

I think this is the same bird....

And an owl from earlier in the year I've been wondering about

Thanks in advance

-Rye
J-Miz

Re: A Few Pictures and Some ID requested

Post by J-Miz »

Red-tailed Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, Rough-legged Hawk, Great Horned Owl
chrish

Post by chrish »

agreed. love the Rough-legged in flight.
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

Thanks for the help. This might be a dumb question, but great horned owls don't all have the "horns"? I didn't notice them on this owl. Is it an age or gender thing with them?

-Rye
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Cool finds and shots, yeah birding isn't a bad way to pass the winter months. I find myself paying more and more attention to birds during the cold months.
This might be a dumb question, but great horned owls don't all have the "horns"? I didn't notice them on this owl. Is it an age or gender thing with them?
Both genders have the "horn" tufts, but it looks like your owl is still a young one. He'll get them as he gets older. I'm sure there are folks on here who can give you a much more detailed answer and even predict the age he's at right now and when he'll get his horns, me I dont know that much. I'm jealous of your find, I love owls but have the absolute worst luck with them, I have seen a few great horned owls but never anywhere near that well, and never any photos.
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

Antonsrkn wrote:Both genders have the "horn" tufts, but it looks like your owl is still a young one. He'll get them as he gets older. I'm sure there are folks on here who can give you a much more detailed answer and even predict the age he's at right now and when he'll get his horns, me I dont know that much. I'm jealous of your find, I love owls but have the absolute worst luck with them, I have seen a few great horned owls but never anywhere near that well, and never any photos.
Thanks for the information. I ruled out great horned owl because I just assumed all ages had them. I guess that's what I get for assuming :lol: