JP
roosters977

Re: Hummingbird

Post by roosters977 »

Awesome shot. What camera and lens?
infidel

Post by infidel »

roosters977 wrote:Awesome shot. What camera and lens?
Thanks,..It was a Canon 40D and Canon 400mm 5.6L handheld with nat. light (no flash)
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I don't even have words for how gorgeous that is.
infidel

Post by infidel »

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:I don't even have words for how gorgeous that is.
Thankn you Tamara :D
kricket

Post by kricket »

Beautiful shot! I love the way the feathers look on the head. And considering that I was trying to get a shot of a ruby-throated hummingbird the other day and ended up with zero pictures, I'm totally jealous of your picture! :D -Kara
infidel

Post by infidel »

kricket wrote:Beautiful shot! I love the way the feathers look on the head. And considering that I was trying to get a shot of a ruby-throated hummingbird the other day and ended up with zero pictures, I'm totally jealous of your picture! :D -Kara
Thanks, well don't feel too bad, I was actually there to get a shot of either a ruby throat or a Rufus not the black chinned that are here all summer. Oh well, we take what we can get..
chrish

Post by chrish »

Jason,

That's an awesome shot. I saw it on the other forum yesterday but didn't comment.
Love the feather detail.
I've been waiting for a Rufous to show up in my yard for the last few weeks. Nothing but Ruby-throats so far.
infidel

Post by infidel »

chrish wrote:Jason,

That's an awesome shot. I saw it on the other forum yesterday but didn't comment.
Love the feather detail.
I've been waiting for a Rufous to show up in my yard for the last few weeks. Nothing but Ruby-throats so far.
Thanks,
I've been waiting on the Rufous too but nada so far here either..on a side note, I'm second guessing my ID on this one. The female Ruby Throat looks so similar...Most of the female black chinned have a "speckling" on their throats. What do you think?
chrish

Post by chrish »

I have so little confidence in my ability to tell those two species apart as females that I rarely bother. That said, the throat is very clean and the tail looks long (relative to the wingtips), so if forced to make a call I would go with Ruby-throated. Furthermore, if you shot this recently, BCHU is much less common around here at this time of year and Ruby-throats are abundant as they move through.

The rufous are beginning to show up around here, just not in my yard yet. I am hoping for something cool over the winter in my yard (Anna's, Calliope,..Marvelous Spatuletail..:lol: ).
infidel

Post by infidel »

chrish wrote:I have so little confidence in my ability to tell those two species apart as females that I rarely bother. That said, the throat is very clean and the tail looks long (relative to the wingtips), so if forced to make a call I would go with Ruby-throated. Furthermore, if you shot this recently, BCHU is much less common around here at this time of year and Ruby-throats are abundant as they move through.

The rufous are beginning to show up around here, just not in my yard yet. I am hoping for something cool over the winter in my yard (Anna's, Calliope,..Marvelous Spatuletail..:lol: ).
I'm with you there sir..As far as the Anna's & Spatuletail, I won't hold my breath. :)
chrish

Post by chrish »

infidel wrote:
chrish wrote:I have so little confidence in my ability to tell those two species apart as females that I rarely bother. That said, the throat is very clean and the tail looks long (relative to the wingtips), so if forced to make a call I would go with Ruby-throated. Furthermore, if you shot this recently, BCHU is much less common around here at this time of year and Ruby-throats are abundant as they move through.

I'm with you there sir..As far as the Anna's & Spatuletail, I won't hold my breath. :)
Anna's is actually becoming pretty regular in Texas in the winter. I would suggest it is probably more common than Calliope, for example. The Spatuletail....well....not so much.
infidel

Post by infidel »

chrish wrote:
infidel wrote:

Anna's is actually becoming pretty regular in Texas in the winter. I would suggest it is probably more common than Calliope, for example. The Spatuletail....well....not so much.
I've heard about them in W. TX but no so much around here in the hill country..that'd be cool