Albino Sparrow?

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Lucas B.

Albino Sparrow?

Post by Lucas B. »

Hey everyone! Just thought I would share this! I found this little guy out side of my house today. It looks like he fell out of his nest. He LOOKS albino; I have seen these before and they are normally a lot darker than this. This little guy also has pink eyes which I am almost positive is a definite indicator that it is in fact albino. :lol: SO..I guess I am just sharing a picture of an albino bird! :lol: Enjoy!

Let me know what you think!

One more thing, could a bird at this age be fostered and possibly make it to adulthood? I would really like to see what he looks like as an adult!
chrish

Re: Albino Sparrow?

Post by chrish »

That's pretty cool. It looks like a House Sparrow, which is good because otherwise you couldn't possess it.

I might be inclined to see if a local zoo or nature center wanted it for a display animal.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Beautiful little bird, hope it makes it.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

A couple of things. A cool find, that does look like a House Sparrow, thus making it an invasive species. I would follow Chris' suggestion and see if a zoo or nature center wants it.

Second and more importantly this time of year. The bird didn't fall out of the nest. It jumped. It jumped because it is a fledgling and they have to jump out to learn to fly. They usually have a few days to a couple of weeks on the ground, when the fly poorly and are easily captured by people (and predators). This is natural, normal and has to happen. The parents will still be able to find the baby and care for it.

If you see baby birds with open eyes and some normal looking feathers (not just completely down covered) trying to fly around on the ground, leave them be. You are doing more harm the help by trying to save them.
moleking

Post by moleking »

Andy Avram wrote:A couple of things. A cool find, that does look like a House Sparrow, thus making it an invasive species. I would follow Chris' suggestion and see if a zoo or nature center wants it.

Second and more importantly this time of year. The bird didn't fall out of the nest. It jumped. It jumped because it is a fledgling and they have to jump out to learn to fly. They usually have a few days to a couple of weeks on the ground, when the fly poorly and are easily captured by people (and predators). This is natural, normal and has to happen. The parents will still be able to find the baby and care for it.

If you see baby birds with open eyes and some normal looking feathers (not just completely down covered) trying to fly around on the ground, leave them be. You are doing more harm the help by trying to save them.
As a former wildlife rescue worker, gotta agree with this, though taking it to a wildlife center to be checked out might be the best first thing to do, to make sure the bird did,nt get injured by its fall from the nest.
Natalie McNear

Post by Natalie McNear »

Songbirds normally aren't injured when they fledge, unless they're attacked by a predator... The parents instinctively know to build a nest at an appropriate height to ensure the nestlings don't get hurt when they jump out.