mini documentary leopard sharks

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joseph S.

mini documentary leopard sharks

Post by Joseph S. »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nD2YTq- ... tle&fmt=22

Daily movements of leopard sharks in the shallows of Big Fisherman's Cove, Catalina Island.
(now with some additional footage and music)

critique appreciated!
VICtort

Re: mini documentary leopard sharks

Post by VICtort »

Joseph,

another fun film. You have a real knack for taking species and situations that others have passed by or overlooked and making them real interesting , recording behaviors etc. I have encountered leoard sharks over the years, and found them to be surprisingly wary when in deeper water. I have been so focused on halibut and white sea bass I have overlooked some of these situations myself, and I really enjoy seeing them. Do you see halibut in your whitefish filming area? Small ones? Large ones? Since halibut seem to associate with estuaries, i am wondering if real small ones are found at Catalina or just mature adjults?

I was surprised to see the round stingray in the kelp bed, I often see hundreds of them in the sand, Mission Bay breakwater and various lagoons in Baja. Many beach goers would be shocked if they knew how abundant they are. Your comment on their maneuverability was amusing and interesting.

How is it you are on Catalina? Are you working there? Are you with IWS?

I am enjoying these. Say, since you are out there...how about posting some photos of the gopher snake and the Crotalus? I hear rumors the Crotalus may be a distinct species, not a helleri...

your underwater videos are fun and refreshing, keep 'em coming!

Vic
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Hi again Joseph,
Thanks for creating and sharing the excellent mini-doc! I watched it intently since leopard sharks are my favorite target species when surf fishing here in San Diego. Plus I love watching them when snorkeling.
I catch them at the same beach every spring/early summer, but by late summer they move elsewhere. I've long wondered where they go and what they're doing during the rest of the year. Do you have any insights you can share about their seasonal movement patterns?
I always assumed that leopard sharks feed mainly at dusk and at night. In the documentary you state that leopards mostly rest at night, and I didn't hear any mention of when they hunt/scavenge for food. Have you been able to observe hunting/feeding behavior?

Here are some photos of sharks I've landed:

I usually get a hook-up right around sunset and land the shark about 10-15 minutes later. I've caught a couple about an hour after sunset. I've never fished late into the night to find out if they'd bite then though. I've also had luck in the mid-morning, but sunset is still the prime time in my mind.
Most of the sharks I catch are put back into the ocean right after a couple photos. I have filleted a few over the years though. The prime cuts are good eating - especially as fish tacos! Guitarfish are a fun challenge to land, but taste pretty bad I've learned.

Looking forward to your next documentary....

Jeff
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Hello Vic,

I am here for a semester through the school I go to (CSULB). An alliance with other Southern California universities including USC means that we can pay CSU tuition and use USC's Wrigley Institute of Environmental Studies(with Big Fisherman's Cove and the associated protected area in its backyard-where the majority of my film is being taken).

At night time...the cobble area and rock reef is absolutely crawling with round stingrays. It is perplexing. They like feather boa kelp to hide in as you observed in this footage. Its interesting you mention the leopards being more wary in deeper water-I have observed this as well.

Yes, halibut have been seen in the sand sections of this cove. Mostly large ones(the one in the last footage was probably not a legal fish just yet...but I've seen a few that looked massive). Small halibut as well. Their is a place on the other side of the island(cat harbor) that is a likely halibut nursery area.

I have yet to see a rattlesnake or any herp aside from Uta stanisburiana out here. If I do...I'll post pictures. I love herps, but tend to run into them by chance alone!

Hello Jeff: Very cool! I know the leopards aggregate in large numbers in La Jolla Cove, but I'd assume they forage up and down the coastline including areas you catch them at. I would guess that in colder weather they move to deeper water. Where you live, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved southward as well, but leopards in general not highly migratory...can't say for sure without looking for some primary literature.

I think I mentioned the leopards move offshore to feed, and that they rest by day. I haven't seen any eating during the day...during the evening they are slightly more animated but still no feeding behavior. I haven't seen any in the cove at night but some of my classmates saw leopards in the cobble area at night-but that was when things were a lot warmer!

Them's some nice catches you got there! A quick look through the photos suggests they are all female?(I haven't seen any male leopards in the cove either) I haven't had leopard/guitarfish myself but hear tell they both make good eatin(if you are not worried about possible high contaminant levels).
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Thanks for the follow-up Joseph.
All three leopards I posted photos of were females, and I catch males sometimes too. I'm aware of the annual leopard shark congregation off of La Jolla Shores. It seems to me that leopards come to North San Diego County beaches when the water temp reaches around 65 F, fatten up on surf perch and croakers for a month or so, give birth, feed some more, then head south to La Jolla Shores for mating in mid-late summer. After that I suppose they move offshore to the kelp beds for the winter.
One time in October though, I caught two leopards off the beach within an hour. I had surfed there the previous evening and saw a group of 3-5 sharks in the shallow water. Went back the next morning around high tide and they were still there. Not sure if they return to the beach every Fall or not. I don't usually surf fish this time of year.
July is when I consistently catch the newborns, ranging from 8-14 inches long. Caught two this year. My boys love to put them in a large bucket and feed them sandcrabs for a little while.

Let me know if you're in San Diego next summer and want to see some sharks!

Take it easy,

Jeff
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Thanks for the offer Jeff-I would love to...is La Jolla the only place people snorkel with them at?

Papers suggest leopards don't eat much in the way of fish. Are you basing the surfperch/croaker diet off of stomach contents of individuals you've caught? I've read they feed mainly on crabs(sandcrabs must be a really important food on some SD beaches) tubeworms, clam siphons, some small fish, etc.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

Yea... I do miss that about SD. Didn't they have huge migrations in La Jolla cove. My favorite fishing beach was below the cliffs at Torre Pines. Even on the cool winter mornings the cliffs provided a warm winter haven. The fishing sucked at that time but the peace totally made up for it.