Northern NM on the fly!

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

BChambers

Northern NM on the fly!

Post by BChambers »

Instead of my normal September trip to the Trans-Pecos for herps, the wife and I treated ourselves to a week in the mountains of northern New Mexico. We hd fantastic weather and fly fishing, as evidenced by these shots from the gorgeous Valle Vidal area, where I fulfilled my ambition of landing some Rio Grande cutthroat-my first!

Working a hopper/dropper on the Rio Costilla.
Nice rainbow.
Battling cutthroat.
Finally-the coveted Rio Grande cutthroat!
Dell Despain

Re: Northern NM on the fly!

Post by Dell Despain »

Looks like a great trip. I Really like the look of those Rio Grande Cutthroat, the big spots are interesting looking. Yellowstone, Snake, and even West slope Cuts have more of a pepper ground spotting.

Thanks for posting.

-Dell
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

I agree. that RG cutty is a looker for sure!
I've got a commission to paint a Green Back Cutthroat but am finding good ref tough to come by...maybe you can go to Colorado, catch a few and put up some pics? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks in advance,
Tim
BChambers

Post by BChambers »

Tim-

Think your publisher would fund a fact-finding mission for those greenbacks? I will be happy to selflessly volunteer...
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

BChambers wrote:Tim-

Think your publisher would fund a fact-finding mission for those greenbacks? I will be happy to selflessly volunteer...
BChambers,
I know EXACTLY where they are...the question is, do I want to go get one? Maybe, next summer after runoff, you and I should knock one off our life lists?
(AND, to you other four people reading this, they will of course be released unharmed.)
Tim
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Good one, Brad.
Haven't peeked over here in a while. Seems to be coming alive.

Rio Costilla looks beautiful. Never been there.
Is there plenty of public access?
BChambers

Post by BChambers »

Tim-that is an excellent idea indeed!

Bill-Excellent access all along the upper Costilla, though for the very best waters in the first mile or so below the dam you need a special Valle Vidal permit from the private organization that controls the area. the entire valley is a bit remote-about an hour from Taos and just south of the Colorado border. You definitely won't have much competition if you go on a weekday, though we did see a couple of other fly-rodders in the course of the day.