Peacock Bass - Lago Gatun Panama

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

gretzkyrh4

Peacock Bass - Lago Gatun Panama

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

I don't get out to fish as much as I'd like to anymore, but did slip out for a morning trip with my family prior to my wedding in Panama this past January. While no where near as exciting as some of the saltwater opportunities in the country Lago Gatun can still wear your arms out. Peacock bass (stocked in the lake years ago for algae control) have become the predominant fish in the lake and much of the surrounding canal. Our gear failed a few times on some of the larger fish (they max out around 15 lbs), but we managed quite a few for the frying pan. Along with peacock bass, we caught snook, oscars, and a few species I am not familiar with.

Here's a couple of shots of what came home with us.

Chris
dezertwerx

Re: Peacock Bass - Lago Gatun Panama

Post by dezertwerx »

I used to have these guys in a tank and they were some pretty fiesty fish. Loved keeping these guys, until they outgrew the tank.

Nice catch.... can't wait for later this month.... fishing & herping in Cabo San Lucas..
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

can't wait for later this month.... fishing & herping in Cabo San Lucas..
It'll be fun, and HOT! One year in June we made the mistake of putting our mahi on the pavement for a few minutes while we gathered our gear....managed to start cooking it!
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Always like to see Peacock Bass, and that looks like a big fish fry you're going to have.

-Dell
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

Thanks Dell. And that is what I call a peacock. We had a great fish fry, but it would have been nice if we had managed to land a few of decent size. We used the guides tackle and I think the line was just a little old to handle some of the bigger bites.

Chris
Pope

Post by Pope »

I am not sure Dell's fish is Panamanian. What was the locale?
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Pope wrote:I am not sure Dell's fish is Panamanian. What was the locale?
Dell's fish is S. American. Probly Ven or Braz...'correct Dell? They get BIG there!
Here's a top end Peacock from South FL.

Miami Peacock
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Pope's right, it's not Panama, and Tim's right too. Interior of the Amazon, Brazil. From a small tributary off the Rio Branco, called the Agua Boa, I used to do some work there.
I love trout fishing, but it's hard to beat Peacock bass fishing, and I don't care what size the Peacocks are, they have got to be one of the greatest game fish to angle for. IMO

-Dell
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

yeah, I figured it was amazonian. Even the largest I've seen taken in Gatun rarely look anything like his fish. Everytime I go, the max size I hear quoted for the lake seems to be increasing though (that likely has more to do with the fishermen than the fish though).

Chris