your most experienced lure(most fish caught on one lure)?

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joseph S.

your most experienced lure(most fish caught on one lure)?

Post by Joseph S. »

I've recently gotten somewhat serious into fishing(or rather, changing it from just luck and a bit of powerbait to researching a bit and trying out some hardware). I am curious what the most fish anyone has caught on a lure before losing it. I know more experienced fishermen tend to fish their lures deeper and risk more snags but they also tend to be better at avoiding hangups-and of course catching fish. I spent a few days in the High Sierras and managed 12 brookies in about 5 hours worth of fishing...most all of them were caught on a single Kastmaster spoon of the type that someone else at the store suggested I try.
muskiemagnet

Re: your most experienced lure(most fish caught on one lure)

Post by muskiemagnet »

i've got a beat up blue/pearl poe's giant jackpot that has caught me a few good muskies, as well as some big bass. i also have a modified perch suick that has never caught a muskie, but has put some big pike, bass, and a few big walleye in the boat. i do recall a small orange spoon that i have no idea how i got it. it wobbled on the surface really nice-like. that was my go to bait for shallow bass in the pads. unfortunately, my bail closed on a cast, and the bait went flying. salt in the wound- a fish hit it as it hit the water.

i've found myself drawn to certain baits because they have worked well in the past. don't let this get you in trouble though. find the fish, and then find what they want. you may have a bait that has no eye appeal(the one continually overlooked in the box) that is the one to use. also,i've found some good baits in the clearance racks at the bait shops. small baitshops tend to carry unknown lures. always look around. if you've never seen it, the fish probably haven't either.
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Neato...bummer on that spoon. I lost one in a similar manner.
The problem with unknown stuff, I've heard(and observed with a few cheap swimbaits I bought) is you have no idea how they will look in the water, They may look ok in the package until you dunk em and realize they've got about as much action as a stick.
Aquaboy74

Post by Aquaboy74 »

Senko worm wacky rigged. This has been this seasons go-to bait. I think maybe because it was so damn hot this year in Jersey.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

i agree you may get a "dud" on the clearance rack, but sometimes you strike gold. at least it didn't cost too much.

my grandpa used to use shoe horns to catch pike. i wonder how many household items would be effective with hooks added.

i may have to go out and buy a metal spatula today. :D
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

muskiemagnet wrote:i agree you may get a "dud" on the clearance rack, but sometimes you strike gold. at least it didn't cost too much.

my grandpa used to use shoe horns to catch pike. i wonder how many household items would be effective with hooks added.

i may have to go out and buy a metal spatula today. :D

Put a quality swivel on it or you will be buying more line soon too. :mrgreen:

I've got some plugs that have been ate a few times. When I get a chance, I'll toss some pics up here. Anyone else got some beat up plugs/lures/flies to show? (Maybe a new thread: "Show your used lures" or some such.) I'm heading out into the field right now but if I remember, I'll do it tomorrow. In the mean time, feel free to start without me...
Tim
Ecto Hunter

Post by Ecto Hunter »

either a silver spoon or a small and light colored shallow-diving crankbait. bass, striper, gar, crappie, speckled seatrout, redfish.....everything all day long.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

tim's got a pretty good idea. i've got a few lures that have become my best friends.

how about the lure graveyard? anyone with good stories of lures getting wrecked? my friend and i have amassed a box of "bridge casualties". i no longer throw expensive cranks for muskies anywhere near bridges or other potential wallet depleting structure. on the brighter side, some of these cranks have become decent topwater baits for "popping" over isolated cabbage or alongside fallen timber.

ben
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Here's one for now. I have more.

I was by myself in a panga and it was still almost full dark when I lobbed the first cast of the morning towards an underwater rockpile in 110 feet of water off the Pacific coast of Panama. I heard the explosion a full 2 seconds before I felt weight and it was full light by the time the hooks pulled...the big ones are supposed to get away.

Bring'em on.
Tim
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

red and white rattletrap - I have caught fish on that thing from Cuban coral reefs to california kelp
monklet

Post by monklet »

This is truly a thing of beauty!
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

This one doesn't have nearly as long of a story...

I make the cast, (same rock pile as above) I see "color" closing in. Big explosion, big tug and hooks pull. I bring it in quickly and fire off another cast. It only goes half the distance it should...hmmm...
I reel in and find it substantially lighter. Cheap piece of crap.

Tim
tai haku

Post by tai haku »

I have a couple of lures in the box that have been through hell; i've never caught fish on either of them but I recovered them both whilst diving - neither were snagged or in snaggy areas but the trebles were mashed up so I've always assumed they were dumped there by fleeing big fish and hence I always like to give 'em a run out in case they get the biggie again.
jamec9869

Post by jamec9869 »

Tim Borski wrote:This one doesn't have nearly as long of a story...

I make the cast, (same rock pile as above) I see "color" closing in. Big explosion, big tug and hooks pull. I bring it in quickly and fire off another cast. It only goes half the distance it should...hmmm...
I reel in and find it substantially lighter. Cheap piece of crap.

Tim
Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Post by Joseph S. »

^Spam above in case anyone didn't catch that.

Funny you mention finding lures while diving-I've always speculated on how many are in lakes etc. people fish in. I darn near stepped on a huge bass plug with double treble hooks while playing in a lake-didn't think to keep it due to my disgust at the thought of what would have happened if I did step with full force on it but maybe I oughtta have.

Also, good point on household items. A few lures seem like they'd be simple enough even I could make one. I still need to get around to making a cork popper...but something similar to a super duper would seem real easy to make out of a few pieces of scrap.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Here's a couple more that have been eaten more than once...

Same lure...it once had a diving lip but worked just as well without it.

This is an old standby. It's been a "lucky" lure and has seen a ton of big fish in its time.

Pretty slow around here.
Tim
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

not sure what to think borski. you seem to have a lot of lures that "catch fish" but i'm not seeing any convincing pics to back them up. i can bang lures on rocks too.

i'm convinced you can catch herps, but that's about it. :sleep:

-ben
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

I've got a tired old cedar plug that has fooled a LOT of albacore over the years. It still amazes me how well those things work, in a world of Catchy spinners, Rapalas, and feathers in every color of the rainbow.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

i'm convinced you can catch herps, but that's about it.

-ben
It's been a long time since I've taken "hero shots" with fish and it's not that I'm catching any less fish than I did back then, I'm just not taking the time to document...maybe I'll begin again. Thanks for the kick in the pants.
Here's a few for you to throw under the bus.

muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

ok, i stand corrected. :thumb:
Josh Young

Post by Josh Young »

I really wanna go snook fishing. Bass fishing is kinda getting boring and I wanna expand my fishing knowledge a little to basic saltwater species from the flats and mangroves.
Josh Young

Post by Josh Young »

Oh and nice bonefish Tim!
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Josh Young wrote:
Oh and nice bonefish Tim!
Geez, understatement of the year. At least you put in an exclamation mark.
Those are like two of the biggest bonefish a guy could hope to catch. So yeah, nice bonefish Tim! :beer:

Tim is that a Bull trout under the first bonefish photo?

-Dell
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Josh, FL has a bunch of saltwater. Just begin; it'll fall into place quickly. There's lot's of oppurtunities out there you can apply your knowlege of Bass and Bass fishing to much larger/stronger targets.

Dell, yes that is a Bull from "The Bob." (North fork of the Flathead.)

Also, the two Bones are top end. The first is 13lb 11oz. The second is 14lb 6oz and is probably still an IGFA fish on 16lb spin. (Both were released of course.) The bigger of the two, I placed in my live well and called a nearby marina that had a certified scale. After it was weighed/witnessed I took it back to point of capture and let it go. It was strong when I slid it back into the water.
johnharper

Post by johnharper »

I would have to say the bill norman rattle traps the chrome blue and black and also the clown but they dont make it anymore. I recently landed a nice bass on a bream plastic bait by storm.

John
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

"Never go anywhere for the first time!" ;)
Like herping in an area that is out of your usual stomping zone, getting the feel and "rythm" of a new lake can be frustrating, and yet exciting.
For fishing new lakes for largemouth, I found that rattletraps are great for finding fish, then I switch to soft plastics.