Went flyfishing and......

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

cachoron

Went flyfishing and......

Post by cachoron »

I was on vacation and went to Cozumel to catch this one on the fly......... Estimated 21 lbs

VICtort

Re: Went flyfishing and......

Post by VICtort »

Congratulations, that is a huge step up from last years remarkable fete...your permitito...well done. How did your gear hold up that big permit? What pattern did it hit? Did you see others and did you get any bones? From a boat or wading...details, details...

Buena suerte, Vic
cachoron

Post by cachoron »

Thanks for asking Vic,

Fishing conditions were a lot better than last year. It was cloudy and windy with some rain but a lot better than too much sun & heat from last year. Spend 4 1/2 days fishing. First day went bonefishing and after regular stupid things that I do that made me lose the first 3 bones, I start fishing better and I was able to catch 7. They know that if they go thru mangroove and stones they will be free, so they were not easy to catch. Also hooked a 30+" barracuda with my bonefish fly, almost landed but on the last second she broke free, it might be hooked on the lip because she did not cut the line. We (the guide & I) wanted to finish the day with 10 bonefish but in one very nice area with gold sand bottom we saw a HUGH permit. I drope the 8wt rod that use for bones and pick up the 10wt one with a velcro crab (I tie my flies... not like Tim, dhough) I did a good cast but the fish swim directly after the line, follow the fly. The guide says it took the fly but because when he did it and swan directly to the boat I was not able to set the hook. Anyway, after that we just forgot about the bones!!! We spent the rest of the day looking for permit, we saw 3 more couples but not luck.

Second day was just chasing permit, once you are into it is just an addiction, you do not care about anything but them. I was able to cast around 8 times to them (less than a cast per hour) but, we had very few sun and they were though to see. Couple times I placed the fly 2 yards in front of the permit just to find out, because I spooke them, that there was a fish where I put the fly that was impossible to see. A stupid bird flew on top of some and spooke them too. Permit fishing is full of those stories. So, no fish on day 2 (flyfishing sometimes does not involve catching)

Third day start with permit again, on the way we saw a couple of bones and I hooked one but I was not very interested on it to he found his way to the mangrooves and came free. Sun was hidding again by the clouds. We saw and cast to a little group but nothing. We stopped to have some breakfast to wait for the sun on a little beach in the middle of the lagoon. After that, we keep looking and I saw something moving close to shore, we approuch and permit fins were showing out of water. I cast in front of them, they were 3, in parts of a second, all attack my fly. The one in the middle (probably the biggest) took it and swan very pacefull for 20 seconds, that I use to clear my line and prepare to fight (We beleive that they are use to have crabs, snail shells etc on their mouths so they do not know that they are hook until you pull line. Once that this happened, she run all the way to the end of the lagoon (150 yards??) The guide count the time and took me 25 minutes to bring it in. When it was 30 feet from the boat my legs were shaking, I was very worry about the knots on my leader (I tie them too) But everything was good. She was hooked on the tonge. It was 27" mouth to fork and 25" diameter. We marked and set her free.

After that we went to a diferent lagoon. I was thinking about a slam but it was not very clear on the second lagoon and wind start to be little harder. No more fish that day

I relaxed a lot on day four and just were trying on whatever was showing around: catch some more bones, cast to couple permit, catch a very small tarpoon and also try for one snook.

Fifth day was half a day, a very good friend join me. He is a great flyfisher and can see fish that I do not even notice. So, catching fish was very easy. just bones.

Mostly of the bones (9) and the rest of the fish were from a boat. I catch 4 bones wadding. I hope you will be able to understand my writing

best
Francisco
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Francisco,

thanks for that entertaining narrative, you are indeed enslaved by that addictive hobby and since you have now taken a trophy permit, you are yearning for more...I have to laugh at you passing on steady bone fishing for the chance to chase another permit.

I have caught a few barracuda, including large ones, and I was generally unimpressed with them as game fish, although it is always fun to cath something new and different.

I have often thought I would give myself a guided trip for a retirement gift, and my goal is someplace where I could likely catch a lot of small tarpon on light gear...I will check with you and T. Borski when the time approaches. I have a lot to learn, and I would rather find some abundant small tarpon/snook to get some experience rather than blowing the relatively rare opportunity to cast to a trophy permit. You had some good days on bones, that must have been a gas.

Great story, thanks for sharing and that was an "olympic" fete, nicely done.

Vic
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Yeeeah! Sweet Permit, and great description of the casting and fight.
That's a big dude, and you look pumped in the photo too. Right on, good job. I'll bet your guide was excited.
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

-Dell
cachoron

Post by cachoron »

Gracias Vic, I know couple place for small tarpon that will be great for you. Send me an email to give you some details.

Thanks a lot Dell. The guide, an old timer, is just the best. He is the funniest guy to be with when fishing and knows the island like no body else. He also knows funny tricks. 4 years ago, we were going by the mangrooves and a school of little cuberas came out followed by a large goliath fish. I had my bonefish fod & fly and cast a couple times to the goliath but it didn´t care about a little shrimp. The guide asked me in a very polite way to fish a little cubera, so I put the fly to them and one took it. At the second that it swan funny because it was hook, the big goliath fish ate it!!. So suddenly, I past from a little fish to a big one!! Unfortunatly the leader did not make it. I was pulling hard to do not let him go into the mangrooves and the 12 lbs were not enough. He was laughing at me. I always have a great time with this guide.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Excellent job and report, Francisco. That's a beauty of a fish!!
:beer:

Tim
cachoron

Post by cachoron »

Thanks a lot Tim, some days just seem to be perfect, I had a blast :D
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Very, very nice.
We're here in the southern Appalachians with a 5 wt catching trophy 8" Brook Trout and you got the monster. :beer:

I'm going to now break my 5 wt and spit on the reel. :lol: :lol:

Permit always make you say, "Gotta get a heavier rod."

What weight were you using?
cachoron

Post by cachoron »

Hi Bill, I used a 10wt for the permit but, I also had the chance to go to Durango, CO this summer an used my old 6wt DS Sage that used to catch carp with, to be able to cast a bubble indicater, 2 #1 lead weights & 3 nimphs. I catch an 18" cutbow & a similar rainbow plus a few smaller ones

this is the cutbow......