Kuhli cube

Hang with a fishy crowd.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hornemadness

Kuhli cube

Post by Hornemadness »

I have this cool little cube that i've kept for a year and a half. I had a pretty bad snail problem in it, so i got four little kuhli loaches to take care of the snails. It worked, but they are too small to eat the adult snails. Now they just eat the babies and the adults keep the glass free of algae. They are fun little loaches that stay pretty small. The tank started out as a way to grow feeder aquatic isopods to feed larval salamanders, but of course the isopods came with all kinds of other micro and not so microscopic life. The plants in there are java ferns.
VICtort

Re: Kuhli cube

Post by VICtort »

I kept kuhli loaches years ago...I would put them in the aquarium and they would seemingly dissapear...assuming they had been eaten, I was happy to find them months later, thick, healthy and doing great, living in apparent bliss under the undergravel filters (which we used back in the 70's). Cool little fish, I did not know they could control snails, good to know. It seems like good aquarists have a "control" species for many other problem species...Vic
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

I don't know the scientific name, but I picked up some (commonly called) "Assassin Snails". They wiped out my apple snail problem! And now I can introduce plants with no worries of a snail bloom. They are black and white striped, pretty cool little snails. Oh, and no, they don't reproduce like the others (mine haven't at all)....at least not in the year and a half I've had them in my tanks.

scott
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

Clea helena...they are very cool. Close relatives of the marine whelks-and just as fierce of predators.