Chameleons in the Garden by Mary Lovein

Herp literature forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MLovein

Chameleons in the Garden by Mary Lovein

Post by MLovein »

I am new to the forum. My book is titled, Chameleons in the Garden, and is my study of Jackson's chameleons in our garden on the Big Island of Hawaii. I have been documenting this species for years and take thousands of photos.
ADCIII

Re: Chameleons in the Garden by Mary Lovein

Post by ADCIII »

Welcome Mary! I live in Na'alehu. This site is GREAT. I spent 50 years in southern Arizona where herping was fabulous. Now the only native herps are sea turtles and then all the rest are introduced species. Tell us more about your book. I have only collected two Jacksons but let them go in my yard two or three years ago and haven't seen them since. It would be interesting find out more about them from someone who has had time to observe them closely in more or less their natural enviroment. Once again WELCOME, Art Cecil
MLovein

Post by MLovein »

Thank you for your response, Art Cecil. It is glorious to see the c.jacksonii xantholophus that we have here in Hawaii. This is one of the few places you can see them in habitat besides their place of origin, Mt. Kenya, Africa. I spent five years on this research project and am still watching & photographing them. I post pictures and updates on Facebook on the page devoted to my book, Chameleons in the Garden. There have been several magazine articles written about my connection with this species. Though I know they are there, adorning the trees, like ornaments in a surrealistic dream, it is always a surprise to see them. My book is available at our Holualoa Gallery, est. 1990 in Holualoa. It is also in the library system or available for sale at http://www.chameleonsinthegarden.com I have found that they do not make good pets and have talked about that in the book. My husband and I are making the movie. Best wishes and aloha, Mary Lovein, http://www.lovein.com
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Your book and work sound lovely and wonderful . i do not do facebook so i will find the book . i love a reason to go to the library .

While on this subject i must ask you a question , as with you i may find answer to my quest . Years ago i saw a brief piece of footage . i think it was a george schaller documentary . in the footage a jacksonii walks along a vine , near the face of a mountain gorilla , sitting in repose . the gorilla stirs or moves slightly and the jacksonii freezes , wavers like a leaf but for only a moment , and then continues , walking calmly , as the gorilla watches him with peaceful deep eyes . it was fascinating , these two primevial nieghbors - how long and familiar had their kind crossed paths in biome - so clearly to me this moment captured the best of what this planet is . i have searched and searched and have yet to locate that footage . Perhaps you have seen it ? if not i am sure you would enjoy it too . i have never forgotten my single viewing of it .

thank you for the chance to hopefully share it and maybe even find it again . im looking foward to seeing your photos and reading your book

best wishes , Kelly
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Glorious to see them? They're invasive in Hawaii, so I'm guessing the native invertebrates aren't too crazy about seeing them around. And they're also in the Wild in Florida as well...
MLovein

Post by MLovein »

Dear Kelly,

I think George Schaller has done some inspired work which enriches life. You may enjoy this link: http://www.videosurf.com/video/george-s ... -128677125 I will let you know if I see the footage you are referring to and if you find it first, please let me know. Thank you, Aloha!

Mary Lovein
www.lovein.com
www.chameleonsinthegarden.com
MLovein

Post by MLovein »

Josh Holbrook,

I had heard there was an introduction in Florida, years ago via Hawaii, but have no recent news or pictures in habitat. I would be interested to know the current status.

C. j. xantholophus eat insects and is on the invasive species list, 100% correct. In 1972, the eco system impact was immediately a cause for concern. Eradication efforts re: coqui frogs are in effect at this time, but not Jackson's chameleons. My observations of a small population on our property is an enriching experience and I continue to share the wonderful life as I see it.

Best wishes,
Aloha,
Mary Lovein