Handbook of Larval Amphibians of the United States and Canad

Herp literature forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

The Real Snake Man

Handbook of Larval Amphibians of the United States and Canad

Post by The Real Snake Man »

a (the final letter didn't fit)

In 1933, Wright and Wright published The Handbook of Frogs and Toads of the United States and Canada, the first book of its kind to cover a major group of American herpetofauna in a comprehensive, nationwide way. As time went on, Handbooks appeared for other American herp groups: Bishop's Handbook of Salamanders (1943), Hobart Smith's Handbook of Lizards: Lizards of the United States and of Canada (1946), Archie Carr's Handbook of Turtles: The Turtles of the United States, Canada, and Baja California (1952), and finally, Wright and Wright finished the trend they started with their Handbook of Snakes of the United States and Canada (1956).

Each Handbook was the original tome on its respective subject. Today, they have mostly been replaced (with the exception of Hobart Smith's book) by newer books: Petranka's Salamanders of the United States and Canada (1998), Ernst and Ernst's Snakes of the United States and Canada (2003), Ernst and Lovich's Turtles of the United States and Canada, 2nd Ed. (2009; the turtle book has really been replaced several times over), and most recently, Dodd's Frogs of the United States and Canada (2013).

And yet, the age of the Handbook is not yet over. Not only have the original Handbooks not lost all their luster, but this year, the final Handbook has at last appeared: the first of its kind, Altig and McDiarmid's Handbook of Larval Amphibians of the United States and Canada.

I haven't received my copy yet (it comes in tomorrow), but I have the highest of expectations. Here's the link on Amazon (and no, this isn't an April Fool's Day joke):

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Larval-A ... amphibians

So there you have it; buy it while you still can.

-Gene
Bryan Hamilton

Re: Handbook of Larval Amphibians of the United States and C

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Looks like a great book. Not cheap.... Nor should it be.

Let us know how you like it.
The Real Snake Man

Re: Handbook of Larval Amphibians of the United States and C

Post by The Real Snake Man »

My copy is currently at my home in South Texas, but I'm here at school in California, so I won't see the book in person until June. Given the reputation of the authors, however, I would assume it's going to be fantastic. Furthermore, it was recommended by Harry W. Greene, whose book Snakes: The Evolution of Mystery in Nature is arguably one of the best herp books ever written.

-Gene