Slowinski - The Snake Charmer

Herp literature forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

The Real Snake Man

Slowinski - The Snake Charmer

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of the book? It looks interesting, but I don't really want to get it unless I know it's going to give me a good story about a great herpetologist from the perspective of someone who knows a thing or two about snakes (like, won't constantly be using "poisonous" as a synonym for "venomous" and so on). Obviously, Joe couldn't write his own memoirs; so how good a job does the biographer do?

-Gene
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Re: Slowinski - The Snake Charmer

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

I've read it four times and didn't find anything out of order. Get it, by all means.
Paul Freed

Post by Paul Freed »

Hans is right, this is a great book and deserves to be read by travelers, researchers, herpers, and nature lovers. I had a totally different perspective of Joe and the entire situation before reading the book and I completely changed my opinion after reading it.
-Paul
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I liked the book a great deal.
The Real Snake Man

I guess that's all the reassurance I needed! Thanks!
justinm

Post by justinm »

I pre-ordered this book and have been told by others that it's very accurate. I've read it full through, and grazed parts after that. Joe was a bit of hero of mine. I am sorry to say that this brashness is what likely was his undoing. I've never met anyone who said an unkind word of him, and think that he would have had a huge impact on herpetology if his light didn't go out so soon.
The Real Snake Man

justinm wrote:I pre-ordered this book and have been told by others that it's very accurate. I've read it full through, and grazed parts after that. Joe was a bit of hero of mine. I am sorry to say that this brashness is what likely was his undoing. I've never met anyone who said an unkind word of him, and think that he would have had a huge impact on herpetology if his light didn't go out so soon.
The almost universal nature of this opinion of Joe is what entices me to get this book. However, it being a biography, I was cautious about how good a job the biographer had done. I just wanted to know that the book itself did justice to a great man.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Loved how they got into bits of his personal life, as well. I grew up and still live right near the Cal Academy and it is great to hear about his time in SF.
Martti Niskanen

Post by Martti Niskanen »

I had completely forgotten about this book, so cheers for the reminder. Ordered a copy straight away for about £8.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

As far accuracy, I guess you had to be there. But as far as a good read .... no, make that a great read.... Here is the link ....

http://www.amazon.com/Snake-Charmer-Dea ... ke+charmer

get it!