Snakes of Borneo

Herp literature forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

narrowfellow

Snakes of Borneo

Post by narrowfellow »

Just got my copy of Snakes of Borneo, by Stuebing, Inger, and Lardner. My first impression is that it's a massive improvement over anything else available. Gorgeous pictures, very nice line drawings, and concise species accounts. Now I want to visit and find a Xenodermis javanicus, among other beauties.
Jeff

Re: Snakes of Borneo

Post by Jeff »

Does it have full accounts for all species (unlike the first version)?

Jeff
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Cool! Where did you get it? I thought it wasn't in shops yet?

In related news, here's an amusing article about the launch. There's so much wrong with the minister's uninformed nonsense...as if the hunting of snakes were a real problem here. They eat them when they happen to see them, but nobody goes out and actually hunts them (herpers excluded).

Even better:"There's no reason for (tourists) to come here if (snakes) are gone". You really gotta put that on your tongue and savor it...what colossal nonsense! That minister just wanted to say something that pertains to his job and the occasion, and, as usual, uninformed, sad-clown bollocks was the result. Oh, and of course, the importance of snakes to him only manifests as "tourism assets". What a boob...

narrowfellow

Post by narrowfellow »

I got my copy straight from Bjorn complete with cool Malaysian stamps on the package, hadn't realized that it's not in stores yet.

Jeff, the book is 310 pp and the accounts seem to average about a page of text each. A few spp have text but no illustrations (e.g. Xenophidion acanthognathus, known from 1 specimen on Borneo), but the intro states, "...we have now provided species accounts for (as far as we are aware) all species known to occur in Borneo."

Bob
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

justinm

Post by justinm »

Hans,

Thanks for the update, I'm ordering it now.