Looking for a book: 'Amphibians and Reptiles of the Yucatan'

Herp literature forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jon Wedow

Looking for a book: 'Amphibians and Reptiles of the Yucatan'

Post by Jon Wedow »

Julian C. Lee - 1996 - Hardcover

please email [email protected]

Shippinig would be to London, ON, Canada .. any method is fine.

Thanks!
CCarille

Re: Looking for a book: 'Amphibians and Reptiles of the Yuca

Post by CCarille »

Hey Jon,
I don't know if you've checked but you can find it on Amazon.com and a couple other sites... expensive though (around $100 used).

If you're just looking for something to use for the area... this should cover you: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008W3 ... 6ZBJTZEJAY

Softcover, but useful and about $90 cheaper.

Chris
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

Unfortunately because of a Canadian shipping address I can't order from Amazon.com .. only .ca and go figure, a similar used copy jumps to $200 plus shipping!
CCarille

Post by CCarille »

I'd be happy to order a copy for you. I live in NY so shipping probably wouldn't be too much to Canada.

If you want to do this, I'll look up prices+shipping to my address for both the book you suggested and the one I suggested. Then shipping from NY to you wouldn't be much. Let me know ([email protected]) and you can just paypal me the total.

I have the cheaper book and it was pretty good for the herps I found in Belize. It has a fair amount of id plates... mostly the more commonly encountered herps.

Reptiles of Central America by Gunther Kohler is another good one to use and covers the Yucatan also. This covers a larger area and thus more herps. It also has pretty decent range maps. Individual species descriptions are a little lacking though... but there is enough to id everything.
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

The newer, cheaper Julian Lee book (2000) is basically a simplified and updated version of the older, more expensive one. Information about individual sightings has been removed, and most of the rest of the text shortened. But the newer book has some updated information also. So I agree with Chris that if you're just looking for a good field guide for the area, the newer book is probably fine.

John
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

I will echo what the guys above said. Unless you are going to the Yucatan frequently (or a book collector), the cheaper, newer guide should suffice. Plus, you can take the cheap copy to the Yucatan without worrying about it getting stolen, damaged, wet, etc. What are your interests in the Yucatan?

Though, I have contemplated buying the 1996 bigger version because I am in love with the lone rattlesnake species down there.

Sucks because part of its rattle broke off when I was trying to follow the animal in thick thornscrub at night!
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

Thanks for the input everyone. I have ordered the cheaper Lee book for now. I'm actually not looking for a general guide to bring on the trip, just a good text to read at home. I have both editions of the Kohler books for Central America as well as both editions of Campbell and Lamar... so I guess you could say I'm a book collector.

Norman your photo subject will definitely be one of my trip targets in March, good find!

If anybody is interested I found an older paper online that was published by Julian C. Lee in 1980 called 'An ecogeographic analysis of the herpetofauna of the Yucatán Peninsula'
http://www.archive.org/download/ecogeog ... 00leej.pdf

CCarille I'm going to send you a PM, thanks for the offer!
gbin

Post by gbin »

Every book collector :beer: should know about BookFinder. I've spent time with a lot of used/uncommon/rare book search engines over the years, and it's about the best I know of without having to resort to paying overseas shipping. (I can recommend one or two search engines for folks looking for books in Europe, too, as I've had to go that route on occasion to get a title I was after.) I didn't try using it to search for your current quarry, so you might give it a try.

Thanks for the link on that older Lee paper. I'll check it out!

Gerry