Looking for a children's book about parasites

Herp literature forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

gbin

Looking for a children's book about parasites

Post by gbin »

I've a nephew, a very bright boy about to turn 11 and quite an advanced reader for his age, who has suddenly shown an interest in parasites. Can anyone here recommend a book that might make a good birthday gift for him?

Thanks!

Gerry
-EJ

Re: Looking for a children's book about parasites

Post by -EJ »

While not really a kids book it is basically written for the hobbyist... an 11 year old should be able to grasp it.

First edition...
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Rep ... 1882770218

Second edition...
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Rep ... 1882770900
gbin wrote:I've a nephew, a very bright boy about to turn 11 and quite an advanced reader for his age, who has suddenly shown an interest in parasites. Can anyone here recommend a book that might make a good birthday gift for him?

Thanks!

Gerry
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

Parasites in general or parasites for herps? I took your inquiry as the former.
Don't get bitten, Don't get eaten, Don't get sick are three little books that can amaze any youngster with an animal addiction. Information on parasites can be found in the first and last book titles if I remember right. http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Get-Bitten-D ... 0898869072
gbin

Post by gbin »

Yeah, I'm looking for a general book about parasites rather than one focusing on herp parasites. All suggestions are appreciated, though! :thumb:

Gerry
justinm

Post by justinm »

See if someone can get your Kenny Wray's email. i think he's written a number of papers on parasites. Many might even be herp parasites.
gbin

Post by gbin »

Justin, I guess you somehow don't know why, but please don't get me started about KW - especially about trying to communicate with him! :shock: :x :shock:

Gerry
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

I suspect Justin if fully aware of the history.
gbin wrote:Justin, I guess you somehow don't know why, but please don't get me started about KW - especially about trying to communicate with him! :shock: :x :shock:

Gerry
gbin

Post by gbin »

I suppose you're right, EJ. It's hard to tell if someone is joking over the internet (which is why I myself make liberal use of emoticons), and I'm a fairly literal person, besides.

Gerry
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

What a cool kid :)
monklet

Post by monklet »

Gerry, I doubt if a bright 11 year old requires something specifically geared down for kids as long as it's not too technical. I'm a modest intellect but my rabid curiousity made up for it and at that age I was reading non-dumbed down material ...I'll bet that's pretty much the case for many of us.

On a side note, it was my fascination with snakes that got me into the library in the first place, thanks to my Mom's support. She was no snake lover but knew to importance of appeasing a child's curiousity. Thanks Mom :D
gbin

Post by gbin »

You've got a point, there; I generally try a bit harder to avoid giving a child a gift that's too simple than one that that's too complex, especially if the child seems unusually capable in a relevant way (e.g. giving a book to a voracious reader such as my nephew). I like to challenge without overwhelming (preferably without it being obvious that I'm even challenging). I really felt as if I didn't find anything well placed in the sweet spot with respect to this particular gift for this particular child, but I reckon I came close enough. For folks who might be interested, this is what I went with:

Parasites: Latching on to a Free Lunch

I'll have to check with my nephew soon and see what he thinks of the book now that he's had it for a little while, but he seemed both surprised and happy to get it when I gave it to him. It's always especially fun to spot a budding interest in a child before s/he her/himself realizes the interest exists. :)

Gerry
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

That's bizzare... exactly what you were looking for.
gbin wrote:You've got a point, there; I generally try a bit harder to avoid giving a child a gift that's too simple than one that that's too complex, especially if the child seems unusually capable in a relevant way (e.g. giving a book to a voracious reader such as my nephew). I like to challenge without overwhelming (preferably without it being obvious that I'm even challenging). I really felt as if I didn't find anything well placed in the sweet spot with respect to this particular gift for this particular child, but I reckon I came close enough. For folks who might be interested, this is what I went with:

Parasites: Latching on to a Free Lunch

I'll have to check with my nephew soon and see what he thinks of the book now that he's had it for a little while, but he seemed both surprised and happy to get it when I gave it to him. It's always especially fun to spot a budding interest in a child before s/he her/himself realizes the interest exists. :)

Gerry
justinm

Post by justinm »

Just saw this topic was up again. I don't think I posted anything about KW to fester a wound Gerry. Sorry if was taken that way. I thought of him first when you mentioned parasites, because of his field work studying them.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

justinm wrote: I thought of him first when you mentioned parasites,
Funnier to read just this part. :lol:
gbin

Post by gbin »

chris_mcmartin wrote:
justinm wrote: I thought of him first when you mentioned parasites,
Funnier to read just this part. :lol:
And it fits the situation I'm avoiding bringing up again all too well, too! :lol:

No problem, Justin. If you're interested in knowing what I'm referring to, just do a FHF search on my user name and KW, and you'll probably quickly find a post in which I lay it out. It is still an open sore (and probably always will be until I finally hear from him), but I don't want to keep troubling people here with it.

Gerry