GET THE APP: Southern California Reptiles and Amphibians

Herp literature forum.

Moderator: Scott Waters

todd battey

GET THE APP: Southern California Reptiles and Amphibians

Post by todd battey »

The update to the most in-depth herping app that I've ever seen, which covers one of the great herping destinations in the US, is now available at the iTunes Store. If you bought the app, this is free, so you should get the upgrade.

To see more info, get the update, or get the app, go here:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/southern ... 58644?mt=8

Preemptive answers to questions:

1. This update fixes a few glitches, adds a few more frog calls, and is a free improvement in the app. You should get it if you own the app.

2. This app is still only available for Apple devices. It is designed to run on the iPhone and iPod Touch. It can also be run on an iPad. It is NOT currently available for Androids, Blackberries, or any other gizmos.

3. It's 8 bucks, which is a screaming bargain IF you have the right gadget. I just bought a new Rosy Boa book, which is great, for $30 (softback). This SoCal Herp field guide is $7.99 and you get more color images than a print guide covering a similar scope, all the necessary field guide info, electronic search and glossary features, frog calls, links to other sites with more info, etc. I'm not saying stop buying books, just that this app is a great value.

4. As I've mentioned before, this app was programmed by Chris Leger. He also programs robotic vehicles for JPL and is driving the Curiosity Rover around the red planet right now. If you have not been following that amazing feat of modern technology, I suggest you look into it.

More general info about the app is available on facebook or here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12363

If you try the app, let me know what you think. If you like it, tell your friends that have iPhones/iPods/iPads.

Thanks.

Todd
justinm

Re: GET THE APP: Southern California Reptiles and Amphibians

Post by justinm »

This would be cool if I lived or herped SoCal...

You could try expanding this? Also make sure it's compatible with Droid when you do, not everyone likes the small screen of the Apple.
todd battey

Post by todd battey »

For now, this app is what it is.

Regarding the geographic coverage, it took me about 3 years to put the app together for southern California. I have no plans to expand it to the entire US. Hey, I need some time to get out and herp!

Regariding converting to the droid format, the programmer that did this app is not interested. Are there any programmers out there interested in converting content to run on droid apps? If so, drop me a PM.

Justin, it sounds like you're overdue for a California visit.
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Seems awesome. Once I get a smartphone, I will pick this app up.

Southern California is a very special and wonderful place. You can see a crazy amount of snakes in a short amount of time. Plus a lot of cool herpers there