I need a new camera

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

walk-about

I need a new camera

Post by walk-about »

Can any of my brothers give me some advice....I'm looking for a new digital camera/macro lense for under $1500. Any advice please. Thanks so much.

Rock ON!

Dave
Chad M. Lane

Re: I need a new camera

Post by Chad M. Lane »

What are you looking for? Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony?

Nikon D90, D80, D500 etc.. + Tamron 90mm = great start to good macro shots under $1500.
chrish

Post by chrish »

The best advice I can give is go to a retailer and handle as many of these as you can. The "feel" of the camera and position of the settings you will use are important.

Remember, you are buying into a system. Evaluate what that system offers and which of those things you might need in the future. Hopefully you will be buying into a system (Sony/Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Olympus) that you will be using 10-20 years from now.

Also, what features do you want? Look to see which camera manufacturers/cameras offer those features.

For $1500, you can get a very nice camera and a good lens (and even more, depending on the camera body you choose).

dpreview.com is a good, reasonably unbiased site that has reviews and a nice comparison-table-maker (buying guide) that lets you compare the features of different cameras.

Be wary of "I have a _______ and it rocks!!!" comments (strangely, they usually include a photo to show you how great a photographer you will be when you have that camera). While they are certainly heartfelt, most of the people that give them have never used (m)any other cameras or camera brands so although they are happy, they have no way to know if another option might be better for you.

I do have a Sony Alpha 700, and it does rock. But I have little expertise on the current suite of Nikon, Canon, Olympus, and Pentax cameras to compare to mine so my opinion isn't very useful now, is it. :lol:
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Two of the best cameras for dirty, wet and muddy work such as herping come from the Pentax K series. The K10D and its newer, snazzier big brother, the K20D, not only take great pictures (they all do, regardless of the brand), but are also built like tanks and protected (sealed) against water and dust like you'd only find in much more expensive Canon or Nikon models.

As to macro lenses, check out the Sigmas. Like Tamron, they're affordable and good third-party products.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Thanks so much gentlemen. Your advice is well received.

Dave
ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM »

I have a Nikon D30000000000000000 and it rocks!!!

Here's an included photo to show you how great a photographer you will be when you have that camera, even coupled with a macro lens.

I couldn't help myself. :crazyeyes: Harrison nailed it pretty much. Back in the day when I got my Nikon D70 I was already biased a little towards the Nikons given how pleased I was with my Coolpix 4500 and photos I'd seen from people with the CP 4500's older siblings (CP 880, 990, & 995). I went to BestBuy where I played with the D70 and Canon's Digital Rebel. I went with the Nikon for pretty much the very reasons why Chris pointed out to go to a retailer. What's even more cool, at least for me out here, is that BestBuy has been awesome in letting me test lens (in store) on their various Nikon bodies; I typically was playing with the D90 and D300s given my D300 falls in the middle of the 2.

Side note....
Chris, thanks for the suggestion of the Samsung B2330 that WorstBuy had. I finally bit the bullet and got a new monitor. My typical 810 x 625 images (with added border) look tiny. LOL