Photo Hosting Site questions

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jason Ksepka

Photo Hosting Site questions

Post by Jason Ksepka »

Hey folks, just wanted to ask about your opinions on which photo hosting site is recommended and why? I currently am about out of space on my photobucket account and want to do some research on other sites before I commit to purchasing (essentially marrying myself to) a site to host my pics.
I am using the trial of SmugMug right now with just a few pics and so far it looks good, I haven't even started using any of the options that they have to play with. My concern with Smugmug is that they are rather pricey, but they claim to have good protection for my photos and also my pics will be available for sale to browsers of the site.
I have a free flicker account and I was not terribly impressed with flicker yet, though I must admit, it is the free account and I don't really mess with it.

My concerns as a budding AMATEUR photographer is the image quality, protection of my images (I have seen plenty of threads on here in the past where people trolled sites and stole images), and ease of use.

Anyway, I have like 8 more days left on my trial of SmugMug and I am hoping I can make a decision soon, thanks so much fro all of your help, your experiences are really appreciated.
chrish

Re: Photo Hosting Site questions

Post by chrish »

I used photobucket for years until I found out their "free-for-all" rights policy (i.e. anyone can steal your photos at any time). I had a Pro account there.

Pbase is really the standard used by many professionals. I have been using it about a year now and couldn't be happier. The thing I like the most is that your photos aren't identified by folder so if you reorganize them, any links you made on forums, etc., still work.

I really like Pbase.

http://www.pbase.com/sandboa
Jason Ksepka

Post by Jason Ksepka »

Thanks Chrish, that input does help a lot. I'll have to check them out too.
Jason Ksepka

Post by Jason Ksepka »

I decided to go with SmugMug. I have some stuff up, bu need to add a lot more. Let me know what you think so far.

http//:jasonksepka.smugmug.com
paalexan

Post by paalexan »

I use Flickr & haven't tried anything else... if I just want to host photos, I stick 'em on my own website, but I use Flickr mostly as a photographic community. For this, it seems very good.

I'd never use SmugMug simply because I find the site's name repulsive. :-)
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

I agree 100% with Chris. Pbase costs about $20 per year, but it is very well organized and easy to use. Its also a great site to use to research new equipment.

Van
ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM »

I don't have any spare money to willingly throw about (not saying those of you using Pbase, etc do either) so I utilize webspace already paid for...I use my ISP (comcast) and whatever space they offer; last I'd checked it was 25gigs. Hell, if I had the money I'd probably pay for hosting and a domain. But since I'm paying $90 a month between cable internet and TV I might as well use what's already provided.
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

I use PBase and Flickr.

I don't know exactly what you want to use a photo site for, but if it is to get your photos seen a LOT and to be commented on and stuff, I would use Flickr. Chris is right about PBase being used by a lot of pros though