Calling all Sony A Mount Users

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ChadHarrison

Calling all Sony A Mount Users

Post by ChadHarrison »

For all you Sony Alpha turds, I'm looking to figure out what to choose for a long lens. I currently use the Sony Alpha A65, but will be upgrading to the full frame A99. I have the Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar 16-80mm wide angle, and the Sony 100mm f/2.8 macro. So I would like something greater than/equal to 200mm. The Tamron 150-600 looks like in can produce some sharp images, surprisingly. But I just don't trust something with such a gnarly range. I'm also not trying to drop $2000+. I realize that limits my options.

Thanks folks!
Owen

Re: Calling all Sony A Mount Users

Post by Owen »

if you don't mind buying used, an excellent condition example of the original Sony 70-400mm can be had around $1200. It is optically the same as the newer, but may not focus quite as fast. While it lacks the reach of the big Tamron, it does remain fairly sharp at the long end.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

I concur with Owen. I got that lens for that price and it looked like it had never been used. Covers a good range and can be pretty sharp.
chrish

Post by chrish »

I agree. The 70-400 G is my go-to lens and is on my camera most of the time. Decent hand holdable long lens, tripod collar and it will focus close enough for some lizard shots, etc.
It is a bit of a beast, but so are all lenses in this size/range. The new version may focus faster, but the old version is pretty damn fast.
Mine has taken a beating in the field and still keeps shooting like new.

If you can find one for roughly half the price of the G2 version, it would be a good deal.

Token herp shots from 70-400 -

Emoia samoensis

Emoia concolor

Don't by the 100-300 G that came out at the same time as the 70-400 G. It is clearly an inferior lens. I bought one and never use it.
ChadHarrison

Post by ChadHarrison »

Thanks, gentlemen. I never bothered to look at used selections of that lens. That just may be doable!
ChadHarrison

Post by ChadHarrison »

chrish wrote:I agree. The 70-400 G is my go-to lens and is on my camera most of the time. Decent hand holdable long lens, tripod collar and it will focus close enough for some lizard shots, etc.
It is a bit of a beast, but so are all lenses in this size/range. The new version may focus faster, but the old version is pretty damn fast.
Mine has taken a beating in the field and still keeps shooting like new.

If you can find one for roughly half the price of the G2 version, it would be a good deal.

Token herp shots from 70-400 -

Emoia samoensis

Emoia concolor

Don't by the 100-300 G that came out at the same time as the 70-400 G. It is clearly an inferior lens. I bought one and never use it.
Chris, what body do you use?
chrish

Post by chrish »

I have used a variety of Sony bodies starting with
Alpha 100 (and its Konica Minolta ancestors, the KM 7D and 5D)
Alpha 700 (awesome camera)
Alpha 58
SLT-A77
SLT-A77ii - my current body, which I love.