macro photo and video dslr?

Photography knowledge exchange.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Joseph S.

macro photo and video dslr?

Post by Joseph S. »

Any thoughts? I got to play with a friends camera and think I might like something that can take very goodclose up footage and photos.

What could a 500 budget get me that yall think would be suitable?
Noah M

Re: macro photo and video dslr?

Post by Noah M »

Do you have the dSLR and you're looking to buy a macro lens?
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

'Closeup' is a relative term. How tiny are the tiniest things you look forward to photo/video? Also, which camera body do you have?

I highly suggest starting small and moving your way up. My experience has been to learn the limitations of the gear I have, then move from there. A macro lens was one of the first lenses I got past the kit lens. I didn't have much use for it when I was first getting used to my DSLR. But later, it became one of my most heavily used lenses, if not THE most heavily used lens in my bag.

A good choice would be to start with a 50mm macro. It's a standard for photography. As far as video goes, I don't know about its macro capabilities, but the 40mm pancake lens was cheap and highly recommended when it came out a few years ago. I think I recall it being optimized for video. That might be something to look into.

A bigger macro like a 100mm is going to set you back a little more. It will allow you to get smaller subjects to fill the frame more, but comes with some challenges.
chrish

Post by chrish »

If you are looking for an interchangeable lens, dpreview just published their 2015 roundup and comparison.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/344549 ... -under-500

These sorts of roundups are usually better than just asking people what cameras they like as most people only have experience with one or two brands/cameras. DPReview checks out them all.

Some of these little cameras produce amazing video. Their macro photo capability varies, but you can always crop as long as the sensor is good.
Joseph S.

Post by Joseph S. »

No body yet either. So that would be important.

Umop: I think that being able to film/photo critters around 1-2cms would be sweet-but willing to compromise here.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

If you go with Canon. Get a used rebel (you can get used decent rebels for cheap with video) and then look up the 60mm macro from Canon.
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

Youtube Canon SL1, the lenses it comes with will be a very nice start and then move to a 100mm macro 2.8. The SL1 is tiny for carrying and has incredible video, excellent macro ability (internally they are as high quality picture as bigger 40D or better).

Sick of using my cell phone, refuse to carry my 40d up mountains for Timbers the SL1 will be with me next spring.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I looked at the SL1. They're slick. But I had trouble wrapping/curling my hands around the body comfortably. I needed something bigger, which is weightier. But honestly, the 105mm macro lens adds a good chunk of weight too.